Friday, January 30, 2009

Digital Delights and Actual Discs

After the previous mentions of preferring actual to virtual albums, I gotta admit I was pleased to discover an email with an offer to download a zip file containing
PETE DOHERTY - Grace/Wastelands (emimusic)
In March, Britain's drug-fueled Peter Pan will turn thirty years old. And days later, will release his first solo album, after tabloid- and chart-topping adventures with the Libertines and Babyshambles. The record was produced by Stephen Street (The Smiths, Blur, Kaiser Chiefs), features Blur guitarist Graham Coxon on all songs except one, plus Scottish singer/songwriter Dot Allison sings on "Sheepskin Tearaway" and the other Babyshambles help out.
VAN MORRISON - Astral Weeks Live (emimusic)
This download came my way early in the new year, but the process hit some speedbumps and I couldn't get to the file right away (another reason I prefer real CDs).

And today, after a training session and workshop at the Tyson's Apple store, I dropped the previously mentioned bag of misfit CDs at the CD Cellar. The guy didn’t want one third of the bunch at any price, but I got enough in credit to bring home the following (and a Looney Tunes DVD):

The LAST SHADOW PUPPETS - The Age of the Understatement (Domino)
In-store play works. As I was browsing the racks, searching in vain for the new Animal Collective and a band called Pilot Speed that Terry has wanted me to find ever since he heard them on a Starbucks compilation, I was hearing a fine sound from the store stereo. One track reminded of the kind of grand pop fun of a James Bond theme song, another had a Kinks-ian vibe. I checked the Now Playing display and found this 2008 release. It had been described well in the press, and I think Alex Turner is a talented cutie, so the tipping point had come. Listening in the car on the ride home, I think I’m gonna like it.
PHANTOM PLANET - S/T (Epic)
The girls like these guys, and I've always enjoyed when they pop up in the car rotation, so I grabbed this 2002 production by Tchad Blake and Mitchell Froom for a mere $1.99. And it's actually a double, with a bonus disc of unreleased tracks like "California" done live.
NSYNC - I Want You Back (RCA/BMG)
50 cents for a 4-track single that I might enjoy and might just sell off to an ebay Justin Timberlake fan. No risk.
RANDY NEWMAN - Harps and Angels (Nonesuch)
Just read an interview with the great Mr. N in a British magazine and wanted to hear the full, uncut version of “A Few Words in Defense of Our Country.” I played that track in the car but decided that listening in the car with the window open (I was sneaking a smoke) wouldn’t allow me to hear the lyrics with the clarity and attention they deserve.
MICHAEL BUBLE - S/T (Reprise)
Mom loves this guy, but has only one other album by him (the one I gave her for Christmas) so I chose this 2003 release based mostly on the appearance of an older song that I’ve always liked, “The Way You Look Tonight.” Mom was delighted and we put it on during dinner, but I wasn’t thrilled with the way he did the song. Fred Astaire still owns that one in my heart.

Oh, and after the in-store system played The Last Shadow Puppets, the counter dude played the new Killers. I liked the first song but that "are we human or are we dancer" one is truly annoying. I still have some love for the first CD, but it's been downhill ever since.

And we end the night with The Gaslight Anthem ripping it up on Letterman. I downloaded "The '59 Sound" from emusic late last year, based on a Rolling Stone Review and one track heard on WXPN during an NYC road trip. It was late in the game, but they came close to making the year's Top Ten. A good job, boys, but the sound mix was lousy. Even my mom asked, "does he have a microphone?"

O/CD Tally: 21

No comments: