Sunday, February 08, 2009

Escaping Into Sound

I’m back in upstate New York.
While the reason for the trip is a tough one (rest in peace, Muriel), there’s a sense of family love all around and a life well lived (95 years of adventure!) to take away the sting.

As is my wont, I turn to music for happy distraction and stopped in at the local F.Y.E. (it used to be a Coconuts) to lose myself in browsing. And what I found was:
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN - Working on a Dream (Columbia)
“Don’t you have a thing about Bruce Springsteen?” is a question I get from people I haven't seen in a while, especially when he has a new album or makes the news.
Yeah, there was a time when I followed the Boss religiously, had every album and single and remix and import, and wrote a paperback bio labor of love for Ballantine books. We had a serious thing going but around the time of “Ghost of Tom Joad,” we grew apart. I was in love with the fun-loving (but still so smart) gypsy rocker, not the somber Poet Laureate. I didn’t even buy “Magic” (the cover shot was so typical of downer Bruce) but simply copied a friend’s and even then after it had been out for months.
And now the new CD is getting mixed (at best) reviews and The New York Times reviewer said the Super Bowl halftime set was “unimaginative.”
WTF was he watching?! That was a great show, (even if Bruce dropped verses on some of the songs and the chorus was a bit of overkill) and I got some of those warm and fuzzy feelings back. He rocked the joint, and he looked damn fine doing it.
So, when I saw the deluxe edition of the new album for only $13.99 in the used section, (plus my 10% frequent buyer discount), I decided it was time to reconnect.
I had a chance to watch the DVD today and while it’s clear that Bruce still takes his work seriously, in the very first moments of the studio footage, he’s telling Max how he wants the drums to be sloppy, like they’re on the verge of falling apart. Is my shaggy Bruce back? During “Kingdom of Days,” he turns and gives the camera a sly smile like the guy I loved so well in the past.
I’m not a fan of the bandana headband or the little chin hair thing but it’s fun to watch Bruce direct the band and the song for Danny Federici features some footage of classic young Bruce. C’mon, Columbia. There have been so many live Springsteen DVD’s in these later years - let’s have one from the “Rosalita” era!

Also grabbed:
SEQUEL’S SIXTIES CHRISTMAS - Various Artists (Sequel Records)
This 30-track British holiday collection includes only a few names I recognize (Petula Clark, Morecambe & Wise) and tons I don’t (Wally Whyton?) but I couldn’t resist finding out what Joan Regan’s “Will Santa Come to My Shanty Town?” or Clinton Ford’s “Miss Hooligan’s Christmas Cake” sounds like. (About $2.50 with my discount.)

Gifties:
The WHO - Endless Wire (Universal Republic)
That same night, my brother, the super shopper, gave me the physical copy of this set which he got for an outrageously low 3 bucks online. The 3-disc set includes the titular (giggle) CD, with the mini-opera “Wire & Glass,” plus a bonus live CD and DVD recorded in Lyon, France in 2006.

Today (Saturday), was a day for exploring. We started with a visit to the Lake George Winter Carnival and got there just in time for the Outhouse Races, the kind of sophisticated entertainment that we don’t have enough of in the warmer climes down south.




After that, we had a coffee break at the non-chain java joint in the heart of the downtown Glens Falls, and then visited the book sale at the beautiful new Crandall Pubic Library. There wasn’t much to choose from in the CD collection - of the dozen or so on display, I was tempted by a Aaron Copeland compilation but it was scratched and in a blank, generic case and didn’t seem worth $2. (I did, however, get a beautiful illustrated copy of a Max Beerbohm novel and a DVD starring Aaron Eckhart and Helena Bonham Carter).

Elsewhere, the library has a few racks of CDs for borrowing (we saw another big pile on the way out, so it seems they’ll be adding to the collection soon) and that’s always good for a browse. If I lived here, I could use my OCD for good by offering to help organize the collection - I found The Wedding Present’s “Bizarro” in the pop “B” section, and Elvis Costello split between the pop and rock areas (in the former case, it was the Bacharach collaboration, so I guess it could be argued for).
Having added the discs into my iTunes library, I’m counting these in the tally:
BRIAN ENO - Another Day on Earth (Opal)
I thought I had pretty much all the Eno albums of the early/mid era, but somehow I missed this one. When I popped it into the computer, iTunes listed it as “electronica” which seemed wrong at first, but the more I think about it, I can’t think of a better alternative.
JACKSON BROWNE - Saturate Before Using (Asylum)
I almost picked up Browne’s recent acoustic solo hits set, but then this one caught my eye. (I didn’t realize at the time that there was no limit to how many CDs you could borrow - “as many as you can carry” was what the librarian said when I asked). lt will be fun to revisit this album and having it in digital form, but l won’t ever give up my original burlap textured LP copy.
MICHAEL BUBLE & FRANK SINATRA - The Kings of Swing (DRG)
We borrowed this for my mom, who loves Buble, but I copied only the Sinatra songs. It seemed odd to have seven tracks by each artist, alternating on the same CD, so I looked up its origins online and discovered that DRG recorded Buble early in his career, but only had seven complete tracks in their vaults. So, since it appears they had rights to some Sinatra as well, they decided to do a different kind of mash-up.

And then we topped off the day with a return visit (for me, not Tom) to F.Y.E., who had kindly put a coupon for 40% off any used CD or DVD in the day’s mail. I immediately headed for the used box sets, and found:
MOODY BLUES - Time Traveller (Polydor)
Musical kismet! Earlier this week, I heard some MBs on the radio and was reminded of how much they meant to me back in the college dorm days (and that’s not enhanced perception talking). Here is pretty much all of the band’s best on five discs, with nice historical background, all for $18, thanks to the coupon and my frequent buyer’s card. Played a few tracks while hanging out with Mom - thought it would be something she wouldn’t mind hearing - and while the schmaltz is there, so are a lot of neat memories. When I return home, I will cross reference with all that old vinyl and lighten the load there.

and one more..
The BLACKJACKS - Midnight on the Floor (self-released)
I’ll toss this one in, since it gives me an excuse to post the Post preview for same.
I also wrote about the English Beat and Bad Manners show at the Birchmere but, for some reason, the Post’s online service never got around to putting it online where I could share it. That’s the first time it’s happened in over five years of writing for the paper, so you can image how it upsets my completist’s nature.

Year to Date O/CD Tally: 29

No comments: