Monday, January 05, 2009

Thinking 'Bout the Best of '08

Midnight tonight is the deadline for the Village Voice's 2008 Pazz & Jop Poll. I finished my ballot about 9 pm, so I felt good about being so early. (Last year, I was pushing the 'send' button as the minute hand was slowly ticking to the day's end).

It's always hard to settle on the final 10 albums/singles and there are always a few late acquisitions that are hard to judge in context against those that have had months to make their mark or fade from attention.

For instance, I've had TV ON THE RADIO CD's “Dear Science” for just the last two weeks and am very much liking it. It’s a little late in the game to consider it for the year’s best, but it slipped past me before and the publicist was kind enough to send it along. Sometimes, the best criteria I have for what makes the list is which albums I would like to run away with and explore fully. This is one of them.

Anyway my Top Ten CDs for 2008, starting with the runaway winner for Best Album of the Year:
Elbow - Seldom Seen Kid (Geffen)
and a close runner-up:
Vampire Weekend - S/T (XL)
The rest are in somewhat descending order:
MGMT - Oracular Spectacular (Columbia)
Johnny Flynn - A Larum (Lost Highway)
TV on the Radio - Dear Science (Interscope/4AD)
Flight Of The Conchords - S/T (Sub Pop)
My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges (ATO)
Death Cab for Cutie - Narrow Stairs (Atlantic)
Gabe Dixon Band - S/T (Fantasy)
Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago (Jagjaguwar)

and my Top Ten Singles (in alphabetical order, by artist):
Coldplay -Viva La Vida (Capitol)
Duffy - Mercy (Mercury)
Ben Folds & Regina Spector - You Don’t Know Me (Epic)
Flobots - Handlebars (Universal/Repubic)
Kings of Leon - Sex on Fire (RCA)
M.I.A. - Paper Planes (XL/Interscope)
Pretenders - Boots of Chinese Plastic (Shangri-La)
Thao and The Get Down Stay Down - Bag of Hammers (Kill Rock Stars)
Ting Tings - That’s Not My Name (Columbia)
Will.i.am - Yes We Can (streaming video)

Comments?

I leave you with a freebie:
Filter magazine online is offering a gratis mp3 from the forthcoming Bell X1 CD, Blue Lights on the Runway, which comes out March 3rd. (That’s the same day the new U2 is supposed to arrive, too, pitting two Irish faves against each other.) Click here for ”How Your Heart is Wired.”
Ooooh, says here that the band has done some “reshuffling” and is now a trio. Last fall, when Bell X1 was promoting its “Flock” CD, I had drinks in a DC Irish bar with lead singer Paul Noonan (mentioned in the Filter note) and Dominic Philips and Brian Crosby. I just went off to Wikipedia and they say that Brian is gone. Awwww....

2 comments:

emma said...

YEAH JOHNNY FLYNN!

ed said...

Hi Marianne - I also love the "Seldom Seen Kid" by Elbow. Very cool list.

You probably know both of them, but check out Nomo and David Holmes:

Nomo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOrNrLCIPug

David Holmes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq0jUXGu3_I