Tuesday, January 20, 2009

"Squish Squash Applesauce"

The impeccably dressed military woman on the Metro train heading into DC on Inauguration Day eve was explaining to her two charges - the 10-ish black boy (I believe he was her son) and the 12-ish white girl - that there would be "squish squash applesauce" when they left the train on the way to the Kids Inauguration Ball, where the Jonas Brothers, Miley Cyrus and others would be performing.
I thought of getting out at that station to see if I could score a ticket, but opted instead to walk the mall and feel the vibe there.

Having attended the Clinton Inauguration (even with tickets, I could barely make him out in the distance) - a great but retroactively "OMG-I'm-claustrophobic!" experience - I wanted to touch the hem of this great event and then enjoy the Big Day from the comfort of my basement TV zone.

It wasn't S-S-A on the mall this evening, but there was a happy buzz - smiling faces, street fair vendors ("Can a brother get a dollar for an Obama decal?") and TV crews filing live reports. (One lonely guy kept asking, "Anyone here from Philadelphia?" but got no takers while I was there.)

MSNBC had the biggest news presence, and I saw Chris Matthews broadcasting "Hardball" while I wandered past to get to the Capitol.

And on the way back, I watched "our Keith," as another stylish black* woman put it, walk from the NBC make-up trailer to the NBC potty-trailer and then into the broadcast booth. Would have loved to see Rachel, too.
(*I'm not Stephen Colbert; I see color, and I love seeing all the color coming together. That's why I bring it up.)

And then, on my way to walk past the White House ("nah, nah, nah, nah, hey, hey, hey, goodbye...") I met a nice guy who seemed to be enjoying the evening as well...

No comments: