Saturday, January 24, 2009

Look, Ma - I'm in the Village Voice!

Didn't realize that the Village Voice Pazz & Jop Poll went up this week, so today's easy-peasy post is a link to my ballot for same. Yes, I know I put this list up some time ago, but it looks so much better in its official form.

Part of the fun of the poll is to see which other critics chose the same albums or singles I did. And seeing those cases where I'm the only person to pick a particular title. This year, I was all alone in mentioning, on the full-length side, Johnny Flynn's "A Larum" and the Gabe Dixon Band's eponymous (always liked that word) debut.
As for singles, I stood solo in singling out Ben Folds and Regina Spektor doing "You Don't Know Me." (odd, I just noticed that the Voice misspelled Spektor!)

And though I wrote a longer piece about still preferring physical CDs over zip files and audio streams, the editors chose a shorter clip about my waning way of life.

And while I was pulling this together, I dropped into my emusic account and downloaded two new releases that, given the track record of the performers, have an excellent chance of getting on next year's list:

ANDREW BIRD - Noble Beast (Fat Possum)
BON IVER - Blood Bank (Jagjaguwar)

which brings us to the O/CD Tally: 14
(I have other CDs, both sent, purchased and found, that I will add on soon)

And, BTW, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, EMMA!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Physical vs audio files debate. Hmmm, you get more quality in the plastic disc version until you scratch it. I always find it annoying that only a handful of CD's contain the encoding that has the track data on that. The great power of ripping them on the computer is the power to search, organize and cook up your own playlists. I'm such a picky person that I love the ability to download a single 99 cent song from an album from Amazon (with no DRM nonsense) rather than cough up $15 for an album. If they really wanted plastic to be competitive they would create encoded CD's that can play on multi-speaker arrangements (like concert DVD's today). Wait a minute, already have that with Netflix streaming in...