Tuesday, January 01, 2008

And Thus It Begins

Before the first day of the New Year ends, it is tempting to NOT write, and thus immediately put to rest any expectations that I can maintain a Blog Entry Every Day policy for 2008. And perhaps if I had not drifted into Best Buy on my way to the bookstore to get a new datebook, that would have been the case.

But I remembered that it was Tuesday, new release day, and came home with (not-so) new music. Time to launch the New and Maybe Improved O/CD Tally.

1. RADIOHEAD - In Rainbows (tbd records)
It seems only fitting that the first purchase of the new year is also one of the best albums of the year just past. When the download version came out, I said I'd pay $8 since that was the price for new release CDs on super first week sale at big box stores like Best Buy or Target. And that indeed was the price I paid today. Worth it just to see how the band would do its packaging. While not as elaborate as "Hail to the Thief" or "Insomniac" (in both cases, I bought the enhanced packages), this one offers DIY jewel case cover and tray liner, plus booklet with deep space photos and nearly inscruable liner notes in a fold-up envelope.

I browsed a bit, looking for Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings, too, but couldn't find them. Then my eye caught a $1.99 price tag (they're trained for that!) on:
2. KAISER CHIEFS - 3 song sampler (Universal/Motown)
For two bucks, I'll take almost anything, and I rather like the Chiefs, "I Predict a Riot" being a favorite of its time. This sampler inlcudes two live tracks, the "Ruby" video, and a coupon, which expired in April 2007, worth $2 off Yours Truly, Angry Mob. Since there were about a dozen of these CD singles in the K-Chiefs section, they either didn't sell well at all, or someome just found a bunch of them in the stockroom.
Also neaby and catching my (cheap) eye:
3. 2007 SUMMER DVD SAMPLER - Various Artists (Universal)
Seems to be another set of leftovers, this a freebie. Five bands - Fair to Midland, Noisettes, Straylight Run, Shiny Toy Guns and the Chiefs again, each repesented by at least one and often two, music videos and/or live performances. Given that this promotion dates back six months and only the Guns and Chiefs have been heard of since, I wonder if the other three bands are considered toast.

Meet the new year, same as the old year (at least for now).

YTD O/CD Tally:3

No comments: