Friday, January 11, 2008

If a Blog Falls in the Forest...

It’s always nice to have someone respond to the blog, especially if it’s *not* to complain. Got a phone call today from a publicist who thanked me for mentioning one of her acts. Mind you, I didn’t write a word about the music – it was one of the CDs mentioned in the many lists I was furiously compiling in an effort to complete the 2007 O/CD Tally Total. The thanks came in a phone message left on my machine, and I suspect that if I’d been home to answer the call, the gratitude would have been paired with more info on the act and a gentle push to get some other kind of coverage – and yes, he is coming to town in a few weeks.

Can simply listing a CD have any impact? If you already know/like the artist, I suppose it could serve as a simple reminder to keep your eye out for it. Perhaps if enough people mention a name, it’ll stick. Still, the call reminded me that there’s a lot of music out there that wants to be heard, a lot of worthy artists that simply ask to be acknowledged. I will try to listen carefully and expose more of them to you.

So, let’s get to the list…

My Own Cash Money:
On my first visit to the CD Cellar trade-in store for the New Year, I indulged in some old favorites and nice bargains.
1.The MONKEES – Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones, Ltd. (Rhino)
I’ve been reading Brett Milano’s fun book, “Vinyl Junkies,” reassuring myself that my obsession pales in comparison to the people he’s found in his travels, who sometimes let their collections take over the entire house. (Mine fills a room, much to my dear husband’s chagrin.) At one point, Milano mentions this Monkees CD as a fond memory, and I nodded in quiet agreement. Finding it in the used bin for a mere $7 was a delight, as was listening to it again on the ride home. With a five year head start on me, Hubby spent his teenage years immersed in Beatlemania, while I settled for the imitation. But I still had a great time!
2. DAPTONES RECORDS REMIXED – Various Artists (Scion)
Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings are coming to DC next week and, having been foiled in my quest to get their CD when it was on sale at Best Buy for $8, I was looking again today. This sampler offers four remixesfrom SJ&DKs, plus some other acts that I hope have the same spirit of old skool R&B.
3. CHARLIE SEXTON & SHANNON McNALLY – Southside Sessions (Back Porch)
Actually picked this up as a gift for my niece's ex-boyfriend, who sent me a terrific Jeff Tweedy live concert set last year. He fell in love with McNally after I passed on to him a duplicate of her debut. So now it's my turn to send him something nice (and it was only $4).
4. JONAS BROTHERS – S/T (Hollywood)
By request for High School Girl (BTW, she just got an acceptance letter from University of Pittsburgh - and it wasn't even early admission!). This here's the deluxe edition with the DVD, for only $12.

From the $1.oo Clearance Section. All of the following came in generic advance cardboard envelopes. The clearance section takes up a 12-foot shelf, but if you look for the small CD envelopes tucked in among the plastic jewel cases, you've got a better chance of finding promos.
5. The KIN – Rise and Fall (Aletheia)
Saw these guys play late last year and they're coming back to the area - The State Theatre, on Valentine's Day, opening for VAST. Seems an odd bill to me, the Kin being a more melodic, quieter act - and more to my taste. A duplicate that I will pass on to a friend.
6. CASSETTES WON’T LISTEN – Small-Time Machine (self-released)
Here's an example of keep-repeating-the-name promotion. I know nothing about the band but have read so many press mailings mentioning them, it was a Pavlovian response to grab the CD when I found it so cheap.
7. MARY GAUTHIER – S/T (Lost Highway)
Back at CMJ, I spent a lovely hour chatting with a loquacious Irish producer/musician, who praised this woman to the hilt.
8. The WASHINGTON SOCIAL CLUB – S/T (self-released)
Fine local act who rocked Jammin Java many months ago and won me over.
9. The INSPIRING NEW SOUNDS of RIO DeJANEIRO – Various Artists (Verge Records)
Modern bossa nova, anyone?
10. PHANTOM PLANET – Was Here (Epic)
A recurring presence on the daughters' mix CDs.
Also a buck each, but in commercial packaging:
11. Le CONCORDE – Suite E.P. (Fourchette)
A lovely batch of songs from an under-rated artist. Sorry to see a half-dozen copies in the cheap seats, so I picked it up to throw it into a package being prepared for a music-loving friend.
12. PEARL JAM – Save You (Epic)
A two-track CD single with a spiffy graphic.

In the mail, from the yourmusic.com account:
13. LOST in TRANSLATION – Soundtrack (Emperor Norton/Ryko)
Sofia Coppola uses good songs to great effect in her films. And I'll always be grateful to her for turning me on to Air. I'm sure I'll hear some cool stuff I recognize and learn some new stuff to love. (That reminds me, gotta find the "Marie Antoinette" soundtrack, too.)

PEP (Puffy Envelope Promotion) Squad:
14. UNGDOMSKULEN – Cry-baby (tiny print I can't read)
Playing at Jammin Java on January 28th.
15. SEA WOLF – Leaves in the River (Dangerbird Records)
By request. I confess, I'm not sure which of the Wolf bands this is, but the description sounded good and the packaging is classy cool. I'll have to get back to you with the musical report.
16. AIR TRAFFIC – Fractured Life (Astralwerks)
Nice surprise. I heard great things about them before CMJ and was sorry to miss them.
17. MIWA GEMINI – This Is How I Found You (Addict Records)
Here's the Zagats-style PR summary: "New York City's jangly indie-folkstress" whose "airy vocal draws comparison to Bjork, Nina Simone, Tom Wait and Patsy Cline."

These two came last week, and I've had a chance to check 'em out:
18. The EXIT STRATEGY – City of Microphones (One Percent Press Records)
Fun, energetic, slightly ska-ish rockers from Buffalo, NY, engineered and produced (and tambourine provided, too!) by D.C.’s beloved J Robbins, who kindly supplies full songs from his varied production career at his web site.
19. PARLOUR STEPS – Ambiguoso (Nine Mile Records)
Welcome to the first happy discovery of the New Year. This Vancouver-based quartet makes what they call “Thought-Rock.” I just call it good fun, with interlocking make/female vocals, upbeat rhythms and happy little surprises in the way the melodies twist and turn, corkscrewing into your brain.

Free for All!
20. LOVE MUSIC HATE RACISM – Various Artists (NME)
Johnny Flynn. Johnny Flynn? Johnny Flynn! Ever since College Girl got back from a semester’s study in London, she’s been nagging me to write about this guy, a British folkie in a kind of Richard Thompson mode, who’s also a member of the Shakespearean troupe called Propeller. When she heard he would be part of the free CD to be given out with copies of NMW, I was put on notice. I tried to find the British music weekly at Borders, the only place I know that carries it, but missed out. Then on a day of idle web surfing, I found that NME, bless their blimey souls, is giving away the CD – actually two, since they added a second set of tunes - for free online. Besides Johnny, who makes a nice, raving it up, acoustic-style late-night-in-the-pub-noise with his band, The Sussex Wit, you get tracks by New Young Pony Club, Billy Bragg with Ian McLagan, MIA, Babyshambles and Dirty Pretty Things, among others. Free music for a good cause. What’s not to love?

Now Playing: Dropkick Murphys (now) and Lupe Fiasco (before) on Letterman (thank you, TiVo)

Year-to-Date O/CD Tally: 24

3 comments:

emma said...

yay johnny flynn!

Anonymous said...

What store did you find all this stuff? Daptone? Cassettes Won't Listen? Good finds!

Marianne said...

The CD Cellar, in Falls Church, VA is my go-to place for trading the stuff I don't want for the stuff I do - as well as a goldmine of stuff I didn't even know I wanted!
The store also has locations in Arlington and Leesburg. Check 'em out and let me know what you find!