Monday, January 28, 2008

Live from Jammin' Java!

It's Monday afternoon and, while High School Girl is taking a Japanese lesson at the Oakton Library, I drove myself over to nearby Vienna to take advantage of the wireless service at my favorite coffee shop/music joint, Jammin Java. The local band Middle Distance Runner is doing a soundcheck as I type, adding to the backstage vibe.

Anyway, I've been falling behind in the tally, so here's the latest...

Took a few bags of unwanted housewares and such to the Closet thrift store and found a bunch of goodies in the $1.50 CD racks (saw a woman with Sade's "Lovers Rock" in her wire basket. I wanted to steal it from her, but that would be bad karma.)
1. TEENAGE FANCLUB – Thirteen (DGC)
From the writing on the cover,it used to belong to a girl named Nicole. At first listen, I can hear why R.E.M. might cite them as an influence. Nice, light and bright, but I'm wondering if it'll have sticking power.
2. CAT POWER – You Are Free (Matador)
I had burned a copy of this from my emusic account awhile back, but I'm still a sucker for original cover art. It appears, though, that there may be some kind of insert missing as there are no credits - not even song titles - anywhere on the cardboard case. Had to print one off iTunes.
3. NAT KING COLE – The Greatest Hits (Capitol)
All good - his take on "Route 66" still swings the best - but where's the "scrambled eggs" song that was used in the theme for "Frasier"?
4. MARY J. BLIGE – No More Drama (MCA)
Granted, I’m arriving late to this show, since I’ve never owned an MJB album, but have always been impressed with her pipes when I’ve seen her on various music awards shows. I'm impressed by the way she drops a classical bit into “Love” and uses a soap opera theme to underscores the title track. And where else can you find a slow “back off, Jack” jam like “PMS”?
5. DISNEY’S GREATEST, Vol. 2 (Walt Disney Records)
I don’t care about songs from Tarzan, Mulan or the Hunchback of Notre Dame, but there’s some good old skool Disney stuff – original Mickey Mouse Club theme, tracks from “Cinderella” and “Snow White” - plus the “Bare Necessities,” and tracks from the great Ashman/Menken era (they wrote Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast before Ashman passed away.)

From the Heavy Metal Ha-Ha files, a description of the Swedish death metal band Dismember:
“Like an [sic] strong serpent with fresh poison they will crawl the eerie filth of the world known as death!”

On that note, I need to go get HSG.
O/CD Year to Date Tally: 29

No comments: