Monday, December 31, 2007

...And I'm Spent!

It’s just after dinner – sending the year out with crab legs, (cheap) caviar, champagne – and time for TCM’s Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers’ “Revel Without a Pause” marathon. So we’re flying (if not Down to Rio) as we head into the final tally…

It came with the magazine:
1.HARP – November issue, Merge Records sampler
2. AMERICAN SONGWRITER – November/December 2007 issue
When did this magazine start giving out music? Rilo Kiley, Bright Eyes, Billie Holiday, Josh Ritter, Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings! I hope they keep it up.

I bought it at the show:
3.SPOON – The Way We Get By


Misc. Puffy Envelopes:
4. BARCELONA – Absolutes (self-released)
5. GRACE POTTER and the NOCTURNALS – This Is Somewhere (Hollywood)
6. BEN ALLISON & MAN-SIZED SAFE – Little Things Run the World (Palmetto)
Points up front for the band name!
7. BRITTNEY ELIZABETH – Breathe In (self-released)
At first listen, the material didn’t slay me – average girl singer/songwriter stuff – but this Brittney at least writes most of her own stuff and isn’t batshit crazy.
8.LADYSMITH BLACK MAMBAZO – Ilembe: Honoring Shaka Zulu (Heads Up)
9. WINTERPILLS – The Light Divides
I wasn’t knocked out by the band live when I saw them open for The Kin at Jammin Java, but there is something soft and sweet about the CD.


10. FERRABY LIONHEART – Catch the Brass Ring (Nettwerk)
11. BELL X1 – Flock (Yep Roc)
Many moons ago, during a family vacation in Ireland, we were staying in the Temple Bar area and I went to a club just to hear some local rock. Bell X1 were playing and, though I’d never heard of them, they were great. (Now sure if this was before or after Damien Rice left the band.) And I wondered ever since why they hadn’t made it over here. The right will be wronged in January when the band finally releases an album here in the U.S.






12.WISELY – S/T (Oglio)
Official release duplicate of an advance I got earlier.
13.OVER THE RHINE – The Trumpet Child (Red Eye)
Another duplicate, reserviced when the band came back through town.
14.The TEMPTATIONS – Back to Front (New Door/UME)
15.KT Tunstall - Drastic Fantastic (Relentless/Virgin)
I like the way her label becomes Relentless Virgin, a good name for an album. Better than Drastic Fantastic, in fact.
16. ANDY DITZLER –Songs from Yes and No (Frequent Small Meals)
I wrote a longer piece about this CD when I first got it ‘cause I like it so much. Will post it “next year” since I think this is a guy I want to see live and hopefully he’ll be around in ’08.
17. The FRAMES - The Cost (Anti-)
Includes a band version of "Falling Slowly," the hit tune from the "Once" soundtrack. Much as Ive enjoyed this band in the past, this album has a somewhat forced big sound, as if they don't trust the audience to know that they're Making Imporant Music.

3-D – Digital Download Department
Another problem I have with the digital only scene – besides from missing liner notes and such – is that I frequently forget to count them! Here are some of the CDs I got online this year – from emusic.com (so you RIAA types can leave me be!)

18. GIRL TALK – Unstoppable
19. ELECTRONIC ACOUSTIC – Various Artists (I-label)
Includes Peter, Bjorn and John’s “Young Folks,” a Feist track, American Analog Set and others.
20. The WEEPIES – Say I Am You
College Girl's new obsession. If I counted her iTunes purchases, I'd have a dozen or more releases to add here.
21. ST. VINCENT – Marry Me
22. The APPLE TREE - Original Broadway Cast
An underappreciated set of clever, sometimes very funny, often quite tender, tunes.

23. OKKERVIL RIVER – Golden Opportunities Mix Tape
A lovely holiday gift – available with red/green and blue/white cover pds – from the band to fans, recorded live on tour and available at the group’s web site.

The last CD to come into the house in 2007, arriving in today’s mail:
(drumroll, please…)
24. SCIENCE FOR GIRLS – S/T (self-released)

and still, I see some stragglers - a few discs in scattered corners.
Maybe a dozen or two more musical experiences not to be shared (this time).
Oh, the humanity.
But I have proven my point (whatever that may be).
Run the race.
Crossed the finish line.
I'll be more organized - even more OC/D! - next year.

and so, for year 2007, we come to the
GRAND YEAR-TO-DATE O/CD TALLY: 1002

OK, Kid. You can blow that New Year's trumpet Now!

Happy New Year's everybody. Thanks for blogging and slogging through 2007 with me!
Fred, Ginger...let's dance!

No comments: