Sunday, June 14, 2009

They Don't Make 'em Like That Anymore

"You opened heaven's portal/here on earth for this poor mortal."
So sings Gene Kelly to Debbie Reynolds in "Singin' In the Rain," and it's totally corny and totally wonderful. The girls, College Girl's Boyfriend and I drove to the AFI Theatre in Silver Springs, MD for a delightful afternoon in the beautifully refurbished deco film palace to see a color-saturated, great sounding, clean print of the classic musical on a nice big screen. A splendid time was had by all.
Punk, classical, Broadway show tunes...it's all good music to us.

Yesterday included a visit to the Thrift Store, dropping off two bags of castaway clothing and housewares as an excuse to browse through the $1.50 used CDs. Some excellent choices to be had. If I didn't already have those Fountains of Wayne CDs in such nice condition, I would have swept 'em right up. I put back the Foo Fighters with the surface marks, and the double Indigo Girls live set (I know I owned it once; if it's not still with me it means I didn't care for it) and limited myself to the following:

HARRY NILSSON - Nilsson Schmilsson (RCA)
How nice to find such a classic, older album in such great shape! Listening on the car ride home, I was reassured to hear such bouncy singalongs as "Gotta Get Up" and "Moonbeam Song," the tender hit, "Without You," the goofy "Coconut" and the surprisingly forceful "Jump Into the Fire." R.I.P. Harry. You are fondly remembered.
RELIENT K - S/T (Gotee Records)
A 2000 release (their first?) in a cute digipack, to be passed on to College Girl. These guys have a charming way of making Christian pop/punk ("Benediction") sound like non-Christian pop/punk ("My Girlfriend" name checks Marilyn Manson to comic effect). Not preachy, just punchy.
JIMMY BUFFET - Songs You Know By Heart (MCA)
There isn't enough money in the government bailout to pay me to sit through a Jimmy Buffet concert. I'm sure I'd be in a fist fight with a drunken Parrothead before the night was over. But I can store these greatest hits on the hard drive for the time when I want to hear "A Pirate Looks at Forty" or make a joke tape with "Why Don't We Get Drunk," but I can't imagine I'll ever want to hear "Margaritaville" again as long as I live. And then I can sell/trade off the actual CD and no one will ever be the wiser.
EVERYTHING BUT THE GIRL - Walking Wounded (Atlantic)
Ben Watt creates the gently throbbing soundscapes, Tracey Thorn provides the heartbreaking vocals. I don't always remember the melodies, but the effect is still somehow soothing and invigorating at the same time. This is from 1996 but still rather timeless.
The ROCK 'N' ROLL ERA: 1963 (Time Life)
I needed only see a few titles - "Easier Said Than Done" (The Essex), "Walk Like a Man" (The Four Seasons, and a recent family joke), "If You Wanna Be Happy" (Jimmy Soul) and "Tell Him" (The Exciters) to know that I had to have this one. 22 songs, not like some of those other, cheapie compilations and a source to be tapped for the Definitive Massive Oldies Compilation I plan on making. Someday.
ALISON KRAUSS & UNION STATION - New Favorite (Rounder)
The case is cracked - will need to replace it if I decide to Rip & Recycle. I'm not that big on old timey traditional songs like "The Boy Who Wouldn't Hoe Corn," but Krauss has such a lovely voice and light-handed style that she helps me crossover to bluegrass lite.

And speaking onf bluegrass, when I got home, there was a much appreciated package in the mail:
ELVIS COSTELLO - Secret, Profane Sugarcane (Hear Music)
I passed on requesting tickets for the Wolf Trap show last Thursday, having attended two shows there in the preceeding five days and being a little unsure of how much alt. country/bluegrass I could take, even from my beloved EC. Listening to the new CD didn't make me regret my decision, but not because I didn't enjoy it. Elvis is in fine vocal form here and the players are, as to be expected, impeccable. But I have such fond memories of his last, Early Greatest Hits tour, and the many times before that, and haven't yet given this new material, or the last("Momofuku") the attention they deserve. So I'll take a break and catch him on the next go 'round.
BTW, an album that needs to be purchased as a package, not a digital download, both for the great illustrations by Tony Millionaire, and the booklet of lyrics and intriguing subtitles. Example: "The Crooked Line: The Bough of the Family Tree Bends Near the River of Rough Damnation."

And now, a little reward for hanging in there,
Today's Freebie
The nice people at Six Degrees Records are offering a free digital download of a full album - your choice from 14 releases if you fill out a simple feedback form. I chose
EDEN: A COLLECTION OF GLOBAL CHILL (Six Degrees)

YTD O/CD Tally: 192
I have to write tomorrow, if only to carry this over the 200 mark!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How embarrassing! I just spent some web time looking for the words and music to "margarita-ville".

Why, oh why? Well Ginny and I are going to meet up for a post-Bimini party and I need to come up with some Island type tunes. That one does seem to fit (better than "Let's get drunk and scr**".

Don't worry, I've already decided to dilute it with the much better choice of "Jamaican Farewell".

A few rum based drinks will help I think. Now where did I put that guitar?