Saturday, June 27, 2009

There is a House on a Lake

In upstate New York, there’s a beautiful 33-mile-long lake that my family has been visiting every summer since before I was born. And now I am sitting there, on a screened-in porch with a great view of said Lake George, after having a grilled steak meal with daughters, mother, brother, cousins and friend, eating homemade brownies and watching a spectacular fireworks display over the water. Yeah, life is good.

And the music is, too. Listening as I type to
PURPLISH RAIN - Various Artists (SPIN magazine)
It’s a free, nine-track album celebrating the Purple One’s seminal (I rarely use that word, but with him it fits, especially the double-entendre) album. The download was offered free to SPIN subscribers. All I had to do was answer a few questions, based on the current issue’s cover story. I would tell you the answers here and now, but that seems unfair and I bet you can easily find out elsewhere. Go get it, and you, too, can enjoy the mariachi style version of “I Would Die 4 You," Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings’ take on “Take Me With U,” and Apollonia, Prince’s one-time protege and film co-star, on a cover of "When Doves Cry" recorded with Greg Dulli and his band, the Twilight Singers. Good stuff.

Last Monday, before hitting the road for this trip north, I had a great time at Gabe Dixon Band’s show at Jammin’ Java (my last entry had a photo of me and Gabe, and I forgot to give photo credit to the steadfast Sally. Sorry!) Anyhow, you’d probably rather see a photo of Gabe in concert.

I had seen the band previously at Jammin’ Java in March, after writing a preview for the Post. As previously mentioned, I named the trio’s eponymous Fantasy CD one of my Top Ten last year, after which Gabe himself sent a note thanking me. Then I interviewed him for a Post preview and then, with hubby’s permission and through our mutual friend, the band’s publicist, I offered the band a place to crash after the show.

The show lived up to my expectations, but it was a truncated 45-minutes set as openers for pop (and maybe Christian?) rocker Dave Barnes, who is amiable and funny, but not quite as compelling in his songwriting. Barnes and Dixon are friends, sometimes even writing partners, so there were times in the former’s set when the latter sat in, including a nice ending number in which the band walked in among the crowd for maximum OMG-ness from the predominantly young and female Barnes fans. (Last time I saw him, he opened for Hanson.)

There was plenty of post-show breakdown and pack-up to do before Gabe and Co. were done for the night, so I headed home and did some computer play until they rolled in around 1 AM. There was some quick socializing, but everyone seemed kinda beat, so I showed them to their accommodations (with two daughters’ bedrooms empty and the pull-out couch in the family room, each got his own room) and said goodnight.

The next morning, over breakfast, we had a real chance to chat and I got to know more about these lovely guys. It was hugs and good vibes all around when they left in their van the next day, with promises to stay in touch.

Sure enough, when the band came around again, Gabe called to invite me to the show and I invited them to stay at the house again. But this time, they were staying in one of those luxury touring buses, courtesy of another act on the bill, a singer/songwriter named Roy Jay who had made a killing on the web and could afford to travel in style and share the bounty (no wonder his album is called “Lucky Guy”).

It was great seeing Gabe and Jano Rix (his longtime drummer/percussionist) again. It’s a duo, not a trio touring this time; bassist Winston Harrison is concentrating on a duo of his own with his wife Julia. Actually, he gave me a copy of the CD last time around.
WHAT BIRD - Good Night, Good Riddance (self-released)
Here’s a little background: while Winston toured with GBD, Julia attended graduate school at CalArts in Valencia, CA and her 30-mile drives from LA and back, many at night through the winding, mountainous freeways, meshed with Winston’s ambient recording efforts to create what they call “late-night driving music," influenced by the likes of Everything but the Girl, Kristin Hersh, Eric Satie and Arvo Part.
She writes the lyrics and sings the original songs, plus there’s nice cover of “Under the Milky Way.” My own hubby summed it up best when he was listening, not knowing the source, and said, “there seem to be a lot of women lately singing in that key and tempo.” Where What Bird stakes its own claim is in some intriguing arrangements.
The GABE DIXON BAND - Live at World Cafe (Reprise)
This live recording predates the trio’s Fantasy debut and is sold at shows. But I got mine for hosting the band. I may never have the money it takes to build a museum wing, but stay overnight in my basement and give me an autographed album and I feel like a real patron/matron of the arts!

So, back at Jammin’ Java on Monday night - Gabe gave Sally and me a guided tour of the luxury bus and, while I didn’t think to take photos (damn), it’s all filed away as research for the music-based screenplay and young adult novel (the first is finished, the second underway) that I’ve been working on. And as for the show, you probably think I’m gonna tell you it was great but...yeah, it was. GBD headlined this time and was able to stretch out, showing just how versatile and melodic two talented guys can be. And since you may question my critical judgment based on my fondness for the individuals involved, I just spent 20 minutes trying to upload a video clip so you could see for yourself how good these guys are, but blogger is bagging on me again. (I need to move this thing to another blog platform, I fear). So instead, I'll tell you that Sally, who’s a skilled musician, will back me up. She even bought the band’s eponymous CD when she could have easily asked me to share songs.

It was a multi-act bill - besides Roy Jay, there was Jay Nash, Joey Ryan (try keeping those three names straight) and Madi Diaz. (Here's Jay Nash.)
I didn't see the latter, and only a few songs of Ryan's set, but he and Nash were both fine singer/songwriters and they often came onstage to support Gabe and Jano, along with Nash's bassist, giving the songs full, powerful readings. I bet that bus is a rolling hootenany.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We certainly did have fun on the bus and Jamming Java was one of my favorite shows on the tour!

Roy