Friday, June 19, 2009

Disasters Big and Small

OK, so I exaggerate. The first thing on my list is not that big a deal. But it is the alternate Thursday when my previews run in two regional sections of the Washington Post. I like to link to them here and on the CPF web site, and send copies to the various PR people and/or musicians who helped with info, music, interviews, etc.

Well, I can give you only one today - the Alexandria/Arlington edition story about the Red Cross Waterfront Festival featuring an array of (mostly local) acts like Luke Brindley, Virginia Coalition, Pat McGee Band and some national types like Stephen Kellogg and Ivan Neville with his touring outfit, Dumpstaphunk.

But where is the Fairfax edition story, an interview with Dave Cousins, leader of the classic prog rock band, The Strawbs? It can’t be found on the Washington Post Extras home page, where it usually shows up, nor will the search engine call it up. It hasn’t been put online in any form!
This is only the second time that’s happened and like the first - an interview with Dave Wakeling of the English Beat - I thought it was one of my better pieces. Maybe someone in the Internet division has a thing against reformed “vintage" bands? But the Bangles preview of a few weeks ago ran. So whassup? Looks like I may need to drag out the scanner.

Freebie Time!
The hip Canadian indie label Arts & Crafts is (or was?) offering a free 15-track sampler on Amazon.com but now I can’t seem to find the direct link. I’m listening to it as I type and liking it a lot - The Bell Orchestre’s “Icycles/Bicycles” is as endearing as its title, Gentleman Reg has a bit of a Boy George/Antony vibe (in a good way) and you can taste the Constantines and the Stills, too. Sorry I can’t be of more help, but ARTS & CRAFTS SAMPLER VOL. 6/2009 is worth hunting down.

And here’s a single track that made a good first impression. It’s the MGMT remix of “Doomed,” from the band Violens. It’s a perkier sound than you might expect from the MGMT team, but the carefree pop bounce is what makes it great early summer fun.

Another track I like enough to pass on is from The Rural Alberta Advantage, whose debut full-length, “Hometowns” drops July 7 from Saddle Creek.
It’s called ”Don’t Haunt This Place."

And hey, it’s time we got the O/CD Tally-ometer to push to 200, so let’s add a few new CDs.
As part of the sysiphusian task of clearing out the Excess Stuff of my life, I took another few bags of clothing and housewares to Ye Olde Thrift Store today and, while I didn’t really expect that there’d be (m)any new offerings in the CD bins since the weekend, damn if I didn’t find three good ones:
The ROLLING STONES - Stripped (Virgin)
Another of those times when I wondered if I had this live CD already, but I felt like hearing it ASAP and, since it was in pristine condition, could always trade it off down the road. I’ve lost a lot of respect for the Stones over the past decade (Time to tour, boys! Mick has a lifestyle to support, so we’d better record something to give us an excuse to gouge fans in stadiums) but there’s no denying a time when they were the greatest touring band around.
Popping this disc in the car stereo, my worst fears seemed to be confirmed; the opening “Street Fighting Man” was anemic. But then, a cover of “Like a Rolling Stone” and a few of the band's early, bluesier tunes came up - “Not Fade Away,” “The Spider and the Fly” and I realized that the Stones always suffer when they have to compete with their own glory days. Better to do the deeper cuts (“Love in Vain,” “Sweet Virginia,” “Dead Flowers”) and cool covers (Willie Dixon’s “Little Baby”) to keep the comparisons away. By album’s end, I was with them again. But I still doubt the next new album will be worth a damn.
TRAVIS - The Invisible Band (Epic/Independiente)
“The Man Who...” was one of the best albums of its release year (and I’m just too tired and lazy to google that right now) and I remember Travis being the more enjoyable act when they toured with Oasis many years ago. And Fran Healy seems like such a likable guy. So why did I stop buying Travis’ albums? Perhaps this will show me what a fool I’ve been - or confirm that likable doesn’t necessarily mean compelling.
LONE JUSTICE - This World is Not My Home (Geffen)
I have a friend who’s mad for Maria McKee and frequently tells me to give her a try. All I really know about McKee is that the cover of her first album with Lone Justice imitated the Monkees' debut - and that’s a point in her favor. I will give this CD a fair listen and check with my bud to see where it stands in the McKee catalog. And if my pal doesn't have this CD (she might just have the vinyl), she can have this copy. (So stop lurking, Mark, and tell me whether I should walk down to give it to your wife!)

And here’s where I just toss off a few things that have been gathering dust. They didn’t make an impression, so they're destined for some other shop’s bins, where they can be happily adopted for a new home.
MOYA BRENNAN - Heart Strings (NA)
The voice of Clannad, a band I loved in its prime, sings in both English and Gaelic, but now it’s more of a new age-y sound than the soaring Celtic rock of those days.
Live with the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra, which adds a wider range of instruments, but still to rather drowsy effect.
ASHLEY DAVIS - Down By The Sea (Daisy Rings Music)
Despite being born in Kansas, she beat out over 400 women, most of them Irish, to win the lead vocalist slot for Michael Flatley’s “Lord of the Dance” show. Also features Moya Brennan, Paddy Moloney of the Chieftains, and Cathy Jordan of Dervish.
Why I got these: Brennan and Davis performed at the Birchmere back in May and my press contact at the venue reached out, sending this pair of CDs with a note asking if I might write about the show for...the Fairfax column? I’ve written previews of his shows dozens of times in the past five years, always in the Alexandria edition, ‘cause that’s where his venue is. Does he not realize this?
The SHIN - EgAri (JARO)
Tried a couple of tracks on a long drive, but got restless after four songs. The group hails from Georgia - the country, not the state - and sings in their “consonant-heavy” (says the bio) native language with some South Indian and flamenco accents. Good in theory, I suppose, but too agitated for my taste, Includes a video, but it’s for PC only - bah!
FEDERICO AUBELE - Amatoria (Eighteenth Street Lounge/Fontana)
It would be cool if this guy became famous just so we could see Andy Samberg impersonate him; based on the cover pics, they look so much alike. I could do without the artsy naked babe torso on the disc.

So, drumroll, please! The O/CD Tally is now: 200

Oh, and the big disaster...Have you seen the trailer for "2012"? Awesome!
And I'm not usually the action movie type. Looks like Big Dumb Fun!

1 comment:

Mark said...

Okay, okay, I'll delurk for a moment. I'm guessing that album won't win you over to Maria McKee -- it's probably excessively countrified for your taste (and mine, for that matter). Some of her later stuff has more of a Bowie-esque influence, with more lavish production and that whole rock opera thing going on.