Friday, June 05, 2009

I do love Wilco - Really! (?)

Scanning the globe and surfing the web for fun stuff to share with you, loyal reader (note the singular noun - gotta get moving on putting in a counter!), here’s a free remix of British Sea Power’s “Carrion/All In It” by a dude (or maybe dudette?) who goes by the name Pressbutton.

And, just when I got used to the idea that I wasn’t gonna beg for tix to the mighty fine triple bill of Decemberists/Andrew Bird/Robyn Hitchcock at Merriweather Post this Monday (I have two other shows in the next five days, and the venue is a bear to get to), someone posted this great video of the Decemberists’ covering Heart’s “Crazy Over You”, which it seems is a regular feature of their set. Now I'm wishing I could be there.

In other news(papers), here are this week’s Washington Post postings, which ran in the regional editions of the paper yesterday:
1. Vive Voce and Cut Off Your Hands at the IOTA.
Would have made plans to attend this show, having seen COYH at CMJ some years and really liking them, but I have a friend arriving tonight from NYC and I think the travel time, from subway to Amtrak to Metro, is going to wipe her out.
2. David Byrne, Pink Martini and the Indigo Girls - with the adorable Matt Nathanson opening - in a Wolf Trap sampler.

Here’s where that headline comes in. I wrote the following in the intro of my first submitted copy:
“This year's summer season at Wolf Trap is busting out of its generally predictable selection of featured artists (Wilco?! Really?!)”...

I meant it to indicate that I was excited about Wilco as a antidote to the predictable acts, but had second thoughts that the "Really?!" might appear to peg Wilco as one of them, with a Seth-and-Amy sarcasm. So, I asked the editor to change it to:
“The 2009 summer season at Wolf Trap is busting out of its generally predictable selection of featured artists and offering some real excitement (Wilco?! Awesome!)”

He didn’t answer my note (he rarely does unless he has to) but he made a different change I requested at the same time, a correction about the Indigo Girls’ new CD. Someone also cut my last few lines, which made a joke about there being so many good shows, I’d have no time to see my family. I’m less concerned about the joke than I am about possibly appearing to dis Wilco.

That is a writer’s lot. But as I’ve said before, when I screw up, unlike when doctors do it, nobody dies. Although, if I hurt Jeff Tweedy’s feelings, a little bit of me would.

Yeah, I know...I haven't been doing Five a Day. But at least there's something.
And, we'll end with a "Today in Music History" factoid: on June 5, 1962, the Beatles auditioned for George Martin.

No comments: