Monday, December 31, 2007

All Bets Are Off!

Less than 24 hours to go, and I’m just going list crazy!

Stuff I liked but didn’t get a chance to write about:
1. LE CONCORDE – Suite E.P. (Fourchette/Le Grand Magistry Records)
Stephen Becker, PhD, isn’t shy about his broken heart – his press bio is fraught with references to his broken marriage. I’ve seen him perform live twice, and both times his voice was disappointing, making me wonder if the beautiful, plaintive vocals here are a studio creation. But hey, if the end result is such lovely melancholy as this (and the beautiful previous release, “Universe and Villa”) so be it. Produced, BTW, by David Garnson of Scritti Politti (in LA) and Ken Stringfellow of Posies (in Paris).
2. QUARTET SAN FRANCISCO – Whirled Chamber Music (ViolinJazz Recordings)
How can you not love a group that records chase music from a classic Looney Tunes cartoon, written by the great Raymond Scott? And that’s only the first track on a fine collection of classical/jazz crossover.
3. 10,000 LAUGHS: The Best of the Boston Comedy Festival (KOCH)
Comedy’s tough. What makes me guffaw may not give you even a chuckle, and vice versa. Some of the comedians did one for me, some the other, some not even a smile. The generic package had no listings, so I can’t tell you who scored and who didn’t, unless I go back to listen to MC introductions (note to publicists – not helpful to potential reviewers).
4. VARIOUS ARTISTS - US VS. UK PUNK (Sanctuary Records)
My pal, Rhoda, a publicist from Back in the Day, wrote the liner notes for this nifty time capsule.
5. BRAZZAVILLE – East L.A. Breeze (Vendlus Records)
Heard a track from this on “Morning Becomes Eclectic” and then was amazed to see it being handled by Earsplit PR, who sends me the best/funniest heavy- and death-metal press releases. I’ve never requested stuff from them before, but I asked for, and got, this one, which is so mellow, it’s hard to know how/why the team got together. Led by singer David Brown, who played sax in Beck’s touring band, it’s actually the band’s sixth studio release! The depth of all the music I’ll never hear is mind-blowing.
6. GRAND NATIONAL – A Drink and A Quick Decision (Recall Records)
June 18th marked the album’s worldwide digital release, but the “deluxe physical CD release (w/ bonus tracks and media)” came out in September.
7. JENS LEKMAN – Night Falls Over Kortedala (Secretly Canadian)
I understand why some people might lose patience with this sweet, heavily orchestrated popmeister with the odd voice, but I think he’s fun.
8. LINDA THOMPSON – Versatile Heart (Rounder)
Originally released on Tom Waits' 2004 release Real Gone, "Day After Tomorrow" is an anti-war ballad written as a soldier's letter home from the Iraq War. Though Thompson suffers from a rare vocal disorder which makes it difficult to sing in public, she chose to record that one track before a live audience. She said this about the song: "Everybody loves the most wonderful Tom Waits, but let's not forget his co-writer Kathleen Brennan. I like the cut of her jib."
Above and beyond her talent – and bravery – here are two reasons I love that comment:
1) she gave credit to the woman behind the man, which is rarely done.
2) she used the phrase “cut of her jib,” which is a Connecticut-ism Hubby uses all the time, and I always tease him about it.

“Life is Short” Section (Stuff I still haven’t listened to yet):
9. M.I.A. – Kala (Interscope)
Embarrassed to admit that I haven’t popped this one in the player yet. She’s all over the Year’s Best lists, but I’ve just lost track.
10. LISA LOEB – The Purple Tape (Furious Rose)
I still have a chance with this one – it comes out January 22nd.
The release will include two discs. One is music - including an early version of “Stay (I Missed You)” - the other an interview with Ms. Loeb.
11. CORINNE WEST – Second Sight (Make Records)
12. RYAN SCOTT – Smoke & Licorice (Velour Music)
13. MAE – Singularity (Capitol)
14. J. HOLIDAY – Back of My Lac’ (Capitol)
A sampler – 3 tracks and 3 “snippets.”
15. MISS DERRINGER – Black Tears (Stay Gold Records)
16. BITTER:SWEET – The Remix Game (Quango)

Stuff I’m still not sure about:
17. JAMIE T. – Panic Prevention (Caroline)

Stuff That Didn’t Do It For Me:
18. PRINZHORN DANCE SCHOOL – S/T (Astralwerks)
19. AIDEN – Conviction (Victory Records)
20. BETWEEN The BURIED and ME – Colors (Victory)

YTD O/CD Tally: 941

No comments: