Sunday, December 30, 2007

One More Lap Before Bedtime

All My Own Cash Money Edition!

Last visit to the CD Cellar for 2007:
1. VARIOUS ARTISTS – The Brit Box (Rhino)
Subtitled “U.K. Indie, Shoegaze, And Brit-Pop Gems Of The Last Millennium,” this 4-CD set offers 78 tracks that chart the rise of “Cool Britannia.” Featuring the likes of The Smiths, Jesus And Mary Chain, The Stone Roses, Teenage Fanclub, Blur, Oasis, Pulp, and a whole bunch that I don’t recognize. Usually, these boxes don’t offers lot of surprises, but there’s a lot here I’ve never heard. Found it at the used CD store for about $35 and, since it was trade-in credit and not real cash, that made it a steal. Alas, the Rhino Art Department, which usually makes the greatest fetishist packages on the planet, fell off a bit on this. The box is designed like a British phone booth, but the flashing lights are a cheap gimmick. The four discs are packaged in two double packs and, while the accompanying booklet is full of nice pics and info, there’s a lot of wasted space.
From the $1.00 Clearance racks:
2. VARIOUS ARTISTS –Only Rock ‘n Roll: 1960-1964 (Warner Special Products)
20 tracks, opening with Little Eva’s “Locomotion” and ending with the Beach Boys’ “Surfin’ U.S.A.” As usual with these collections, I have many of the songs already (one day, I need to make a massive mix of all the 60s, 70s and 80s’ collections; it will probably create a full shelf of free space in the archives once I cull all the duplications) but there’s a few choice newbies: “I Like It Like That” (name the artist? Chris Kenner), “Tossin’ and Turnin’” (Bobby Lewis) and “Hey! Baby” (Gene Chandler) that I’m pretty sure I’ve been missing.
3. VARIOUS ARTISTS - ‘60s Pop Numbers 1’s (UME)
20 tracks, opening with Little Eva’s “Locomotion” (deja entendu!) and ending with Zager & Evans’ “In the Year 2525” (the very definition of both one-hit wonder and novelty tune). The choice newbies here: Len Barry’s “1-2-3,” Strawberry Alarm Clock’s “Incense and Peppermints,” and the Lemon Pipers’ “Green Tambourine.” Groovy packaging, too – die-cut cover that reveals the bright green disc within, nestled in some kind of cushy Styrofoam.
4. DAN WILSON – Free Life (American/Red Ink/Columbia)
Advance generic cover solo CD from the former Semisonic leader. This one’s watermarked, a trade-in risk I never take. “Free Life,” the track I heard on KCRW, is way catchy but I keep sticking on this bad couplet in the chorus: “And in the air the questions hang/Will we get to do something?” That rhyme needs to rhyme. But it doesn’t.
5. BOWERBIRDS – Hymns for a Dark Horse (Burly Time Records)
Generic advance cardboard CD-R with taped, typed song listings. A three-piece act with a quiet, pleasing sound so close to that of Sondre Lerche that my husband asked if it was a new disc from him. Saw the band do a few songs at CMJ day stage and remembered them fondly. And I have a photo…


6. SPARKY’S FLAW – S/T EP (Smash)
A freebie, grabbed (in duplicate, one for High School Girl) from a pro-looking display case on the giveaway table, which is usually stocked with stickers and postcards and the occasional CD-R. The two-color cardboard case, with band member photos, offers five tracks from the Charlottesville, VA band, which I discovered through HSG, who got some tracks (not, BTW, the ones here) from a friend on a mix tape. This band is quite good, in a Jack’s Mannequin/The Format kind of way. In fact, I mentioned them in a Post preview and would have written more about them, but they never answered my press inquiry. (Tsk, tsk.) They played Jammin Java the night of our big holiday open house, so we missed seeing the show. Rumor has it they will play the place again in January and we will be there, cheering.
7.TIEWEB – 3 track EP (self-released)
Speaking of freebie CD-Rs from local bands, here’s one.
8. JUBEUS – Samples from “Natural Mood” (self-released)
And here’s another. Four tracks, dating back to the band’s summertime CD release party, an invite to which is printed on the disc label.
9. BRADDIGAN & FRIENDS – promo sampler (Third Surfer Music)
This is a freebie that I think came from a recent visit to Jammin Java, also promoting a show, in October, by a guy from the local band Dispatch. Includes pre-release tracks from his CD “The Captive” plus original music from a film (“Walking on Water”) and even a trailer for same.
10. SHANE HINES – See Us Live! (self-released)
I use that title ‘cause it’s written in big type on the label, also a mention of a J2 show in December. Four tracks from a guy whose name I’ve heard a zillion times on the local scene. Now I can finally hear what’s up. It takes awhile, but these things work. And it’s in a nice slim-line CD case, which shows an extra touch of class.

A last visit to the Thrift store for 2007:
At $1.50 each, who can resist?
11. Highlights from MISS SAIGON (Geffen)
I am not a fan of this musical or its Glitz Above Content producers, but I am a big fan of actor Jonathan Pryce, whose performance of “The American Dream” gave this onetime Broadway Baby a guilty tingle when he performed it on the Tony Awards many, many years ago.
12. NO DOUBT – The Singles 1992-2003 (Interscope)
It’s missing the CD booklet, but all I need are the 13 songs, a reference library must-have. Gwen Stefani has more talent and class in her left foot than Madonna has in her entire body.
13. BRIAN STOKES MITCHELL – S/T (Playbill/Legacy)
Actually gave this CD to my mom as a Christmas present last year, but I didn’t break the shrink-wrap to copy it first. Didn’t know the guy except by reputation and it turns out he has a showstopper’s voice and a way with Broadway chestnuts like “Something’s Coming” that helps you hear the songs with fresh ears. Good choices, too: “The Best is Yet to Come,” “How Long Has This Been Going On” and such.

Also on the Broadway/Hollywood tip:
14. STEPHEN SONDHEIM – Sondheim Sings, Vol. 1 1962-72 (PS Classics)
HSG and I went to Borders with an “Any single CD for $10.99” coupon, searching for the “Juno” soundtrack before we realized that it was only (at that time) available as a digital release. When we couldn’t find that, I searched the soundtrack racks (only the big hits ever go on sale) for “Babel” (out of stock, tho’ my dear one found it for me for Christmas) and discovered this collection by my favorite composer. I didn’t even know he’d released these early demos. Not only does he do such favorites as “Losing My Mind” and “Send in the Clowns,” but also a song called “No, Mary Ann.” (I will forgive the spelling). No, he doesn’t have a strong voice, but I love hearing him present the tunes as the proud creator, complete with the occasional expositional aside.
15. THE DARJEELING LIMITED – Original Film Soundtrack (ABKCO)
Wes Anderson always takes such great care with his films’ music. This one leans heavily on East Indian soundtrack excerpts, along with a few tracks from my dear Kinks. Confession: was gonna give it to College Girl for Christmas but, after hearing it, I didn’t think she’d dig the Indian stuff so much, so I’m keeping it. (If she reads this and wants me to honor my initial intent, so be it.)

Bought Many Moons Ago, But Somehow Missed the Tally:
16. CHUCK KLOSTERMAN – IV: A Decade of Curious People and Dangerous Ideas (Simon & Schuster Audio)
There aren’t many rock journalists who have a true Voice, or can make me laugh out loud. My one true star in this matter is Rolling Stone’s Rob Sheffield, who also wrote the heart-achingly tender “Love is a Mix Tape.” I don’t think Klosterman has quite the same reserves of sentiment, but I bet he makes me chuckle.

A few more samplers, MIA:
17. HARP magazine – Vanguard/Sugar Hill New Music Sampler
Eight acts, one or two tracks each, starting with our darling Matt Nathanson and wrapping up with the Infamous Stringdusters.
18. MOJO magazine – Best of 2007
True to its name, there’s a track here that made it to my Top Ten Songs ballot for the upcoming Village Voice Pazz and Jop Poll (more on that next week/next year) – Cold War Kids’ “We Used to Vacation.” And while there’s a lot of other good material from bands I know and like – Shins, Decemberists, Sigur Ros, Interpol – there’s a nice sampling of Brits I’ve heard much less about – Hard-Fi, Cherry Ghost, Jamie T – so it’s nice to know what the Brits are rabbiting on about.

And we’ll end on an Old Skool note.
19. DECAYDANCE (Fueled by Ramen)
On a visit to Hot Topic with HSG some time ago, I found this set of five genuine 7” vinyl singles – The Academy Is…, Cobra Starship, Cute Is What We Aim For, Gym Class Heroes and Paramore – in the clearance section for about $5. Seemed like a must-have for my picture sleeve collection, though I was disappointed upon opening it to see that all of the records were in plain white sleeves. Will play ‘em when I get a moment with the turntable and/or put ‘em up on ebay someday.

So, where does that leave us?
YTD O/CD Tally: 906

No comments: