Monday, February 23, 2009

All Will Be Well

What a lovely thing came in the mail today - a hand-written card from Gabe Dixon, thanking me for naming his band's album (self-titled) one of the last year's Top Ten in my Village Voice Pazz & Jop ballot.

It's not often that anyone takes the time or makes the effort to write me about something I've had published (did his publicist, who knows me, give him my home address?) and even more surprising to hear from a major label (Fantasy) musician who no doubt has recording and touring issues to deal with, doesn't know me personally and yet bothers to reach out with a simple thanks. He's a Southern boy (the return address is Nashville, TN) and I think his mama raised him to be a gentleman.

The card he sent was marked from a company called coolpeoplecare.com, a neat little East Nashville group whose site says it makes cards to "communicate to the recipient that you hope their world is one that’s full of hope, peace, love, faith and a better tomorrow." They offer a limited sampling of other products "for your lifestyle of caring." I pass on the good vibes to you.

All of these shiny, happy feelings come to play as well in Dixon's album, which I played in the car when I went out today. I stand by my recommendation for the disc. If you like melodic, piano-based pop-rock in the classic mold of early Elton John and Billy Joel, with a playful (but not cynical) Ben Folds modern touch, check this guy out. "All Will Be Well," BTW, is one of the many optimistic songs on the CD, and couldn't we all use a bit of that sentiment these days?

No comments: