Sunday, February 15, 2009

Sunday Service

Today I went to the church of my choice - a music venue. In this case, it was a local restaurant, The Tortilla Factory in Herndon, which generally hosts folk music on Thursday nights but was having a special event today, presented by The Truman Show (the name used by a dynamic older couple who present house concerts in their home). The informal music promoters had arranged for a visit by Tasmanian-turned-Nashvillian singer/songwriter Audrey Auld, and it was deemed too big a deal to do in their home.

I had written about the show for the Post and the promoters - and I! - were surprised to see such a good turnout in the Mexican restaurant's back room (capacity about 75, I’d guess) that people had to be turned away when they couldn’t allow any more chairs brought in. (I’ve attended plenty of shows that I’ve written about where the audience could be counted on four hands, so I won’t let the power of the press go to my head.)

The opening act was the duo of Eric Brace & Peter Cooper, the former an acquaintance from his days as writer for the Post, and as occasional subject matter for his well-regarded alt. country band, Last Train Home. Eric had sweetly sent a copy of his latest CD, ERIC BRACE & PETER COOPER - You Don’t Have to Like Them Both (Red Beet Records), a few weeks ago, so it was nice to be able to fold a mention therein to the piece.

The guys are fine players and harmonize beautifully. I am not the fiercest of folk fans, and the sports references whiz right past me, but they made for a good warm-up and a gracious quick conversation in the break. Alas, my bigass digital camera is giving me trouble these days, and most of the shots came out pure black. This is the best I can offer...

And then came Audrey Auld, whose CD arrived right after I finished writing, but thanks to a robust selection of music on her web site, I was good to go.
AUDREY AULD - Lost Men and Angry Girls (Reckless Records)

Auld’s not just a good tunesmith but a smart, funny woman with a charming Australian accent. I didn’t know her stuff well (the merchandise table behind me offered about a half-dozen CDs to show her strong catalog) but I was carried away by pretty much everything she did, from the funny stuff (a song about turning 40, another about living the poor life) to the wistful (“And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda,” Fred Eaglesmith’s spare but affecting “Alcohol and Pills”). She played her own guitar, but extra props to her sideman, Cole Bruce, who had a strong, bright yet bluesy touch on his guitar parts.

Her personal warmth came through again after the show when I introduced myself to her and she gave me a hug (as did Eric). You can question my journalistic distance, but I didn’t write anything about them that I won’t stand by. And I like hugs.

While we’re on Post-y stuff, here's an addition to the archives, a Change of Pace preview for an evening out at a local movie house, which was offering a "Princess Bride" Valentine’s event with a live comic and wine tasting along with the film screening.
(Hubby and I went to the movies for Valentine’s Day ourselves - “Coraline.” I highly recommend seeing it on the Big Screen, as the visuals are quite stunning. The story meanders in a way that would have traditional Three Act film students rip out their hair, but I think that’s ultimately a good thing, even if it also meant logic suspension on my part.)

A Whole Bunch of Good People Coming to Town:
COMPANY of THIEVES - Ordinary Riches (Wind-Up Records)
Chicago-based piano-pop trio made more interesting by the presence of singer Genevieve Schatz.
Appearing with
THRIVING IVORY - THRIVING IVORY (Wind-Up Records)
on Saturday, February 28th at the IOTA.
Beware - according to this San Francisco piano rock quintet’s press bio, vocalist Clayton Stroope has an awesome power that (according to something called DecoyMusic.com) “literally melts you away with his ability...” That means you will actually, really melt away if you hear him! (Look in the dictionary and learn.)

Also on the bill is Barcelona, a similarly melodic, but not always mellow, band from the Northwest. Or maybe not. In fact-checking where the band I think I’m talking about is from, I learn from Wikipedia that there is a local band that has the same name. All bets are off. I don’t know which one is playing this show. And if you try Googling combinations of the words “tour,” “band” and “Barcelona,” you’re still not going to get to the bottom of it.
BTW, Juana Molina’s set that same night, at the same venue, is actually a separate, early show.

TOM RUSH - What I Know (Appleseed Recordings)
Yep, he’s still got the urge for going...on the road, this time to support his first full-length recording in 30 years. At first listen, I'm pleasantly surprised to hear that his voice is as rich and warm as ever. At the Barns of Wolf Trap on Saturday, March 14th.
CARRIE NEWCOMER - The Geography of Light (Philo/Rounder)
I keep getting this Carrie confused with Carrie Underwood. But this one is not an American Idol and has more of an MOR/folk sound. And probably wouldn’t wear a barely-there dress to perform on the Grammies. This Carrie will be at the Birchmere on Saturday, March 7th.

My 'Don't Miss' Show:
The BIRD and The BEE - Rayguns Are Not Just The Future (Blue Note)
I loved this electronic/Tropicalia-tinged pop duo when I saw them in Philadelphia last year and am going to make their March 3rd date at the Wolf Trap Barns a key part of my birthday planning this year. Their publicist sent a zip file of the new album as an advance early in the new year, and a commercial copy came in the last two weeks, so I count it twice in the tally.
“Love Letter to Japan” is in my personal heavy singles rotation, producer/collaborator Greg Kurstin is riding high as knob-meister of the new Lily Allen album, and I’ve been playing Inara George’s solo 2004 CD, “All Rise,” to keep psyching myself for the show. By the Power of Three, this is the tipping point.


Looking back at my notes, I see that February 2 was a day with a nice handful of puffy envelopes. Here’s the Booty Haul for one particular day:
SPECK MOUNTAIN - Some Sweet Relief (Carrot Top)
KINKY - Barracuda (Kin Kon Records)
Also coming to town - opening for Modest Mouse (oh, yeah!) at the 930 on Friday, March 13th (hey, that’s two Friday the 13ths in a row! Not fair!)
CAZALS - What of the Future (The Hours/Fontana)
DAVID BROMBERG QUARTET - Live: New York City 1982 (Appleseed Recordings)
The Bromberg album I love and remember and still have on vinyl is “Reckless Abandon” from 1978, with the wonderful “What A Town.” Gonna go grab me that on iTunes...
ANGEL BAND - With Roots & Wings (Appleseed Recordings)
Bromberg is coming to the Birchmere on February 27, with the Angel Band opening and providing back-up for his set. (I think the publicist said Bromberg is married to one of the Angels.) Produced by ever-reliable Lloyd Maines.
I’ll be previewing Bromberg show but it’s the same night that those wild Philly boys of Marah will be at the IOTA. If I am to get myself out of the house, I’d be more prone to see the latter.

O/CD Tally to Date: 42

No comments: