Friday, January 27, 2006

When Does Elvis Costello Sleep?

Today’s delightful surprise:
1. ELVIS COSTELLO – My Flame Burns Blue (Deutsche Grammophone)
One of those packages that gets a true squeal of delight, especially as I had no idea this CD was even coming out. Recorded live with the Metropole Orkest, this advance set, which came in a nifty full-color booklet, has the never-still Costello revisiting some of his own songs (including my all-time favorite, “Watching the Detectives”) and one each from Charles Mingus and Dave Bartholomew, with a full-on orchestra. Plus there’s a bonus disc of El’s “Il Sogno” suite (I believe it’s the same as the one released last year). Ah, Elvis. Top of my personal Pops. And even if he crashes and burns (this may be a little too close to the overwrought stuff he did with Burt Bacharach), I love him for always pushing forward.
2. MARAH – Live at Jammin’ Java (bootleg)
A fan’s recording, sent to me by an architect (it was on his business card) I met while I was taking pictures at the show with Grace’s old, cheap digital camera (the one where she programmed the directions in Japanese, so I thought maybe I had deleted all the shots). I sent the guy some of the pictures and he sent me back this CD, albeit seven months later.
I couldn’t sing you a Marah song if you asked for one – except for a few from the band’s delicious Christmas CD – but they’ve got so much energy and charisma, in a sloppy Kinks/Replacements manner – that I’m very much looking forward to hearing this show again.

Purchased:
3. CAT POWER – The Greatest (Matador)
She’s one of indie rock's critical darlings, famous for on-stage breakdowns that make Fiona Apple look as calm as a kindergarten teacher, but I haven’t yet bought into it, much as I can relate to (perceived) crazy ladies. For this CD, Chan Marshall’s record label set her up in a Memphis studio with veteran soul players, including Mabon “Teenie” Hodges (he worked in the 70s with Al Green and co-wrote "Love and Happiness"), so there’s a “Dusty/Chan in Memphis” vibe, and she does seem to be enjoying herself a bit more. Offered for just $7.99 at Best Buy this week, how could I resist, especially with that shiny fuchsia cover? According to the cool cats at Othermusic.com, the vinyl LP comes with an exclusive track, although this CD has a hidden 13th song, so who knows which is the “definitive” version. (I wish artists would stop messing with my head like that.)
4. BROKEN SOCIAL SCENE – eponymous (Arts & Crafts)
This is the CD I went to BB to get, delighted to see it on sale for $7.99 as well. And now for a tale of the music obsessive – I had heard that original pressings of this CD came with a bonus EP, “We Hate Your Hate.” So, I picked up all 20 or so copies of the disc and attempted to decipher which might offer the extra goody. And lo, I realized that one of the CDs had a price sticker unlike all the others – an earlier shipment, perhaps? And yes, when I got the baby outside and cracked the shrink-wrap, I had the extra disc. The OCD kid wins.
And yes, on first listen, this is what I hoped for – the poppier, peppier side of the sprawling ensemble, Arcade Fire-style, sound. Oh, Canada!

Sent by request:
5. JENNY LEWIS with the WATSON TWINS - Rabbit Fur Coat (Team Love)
Writers are always mentioning Rilo Kiley front woman Jenny Lewis’
younger years as a child actor, but no one ever says what she appeared in. I Googled and found a list of largely forgettable titles, but she had guest spots on “Growing Pains” and “Roseanne,” plus the film “Troop Beverly Hills.” So, there, I did my part.
As for the music, while I prefer Rilo Kiley’s bright pop to such Americana heartbreak twang, there are some soft, tender moments.
And the big superstar moment - appearances by M. Ward, Ben Gibbard and Conor Oberst on a cover of the Traveling Wilburys' "Handle with Care” – doesn’t do much. It’s no match for the original, but let’s face it, it’s a powder puff of a song to begin with.
6. SIGNOR GROOVE – Scrambodia (Buried with a Donkey Music)
I asked the publicist for this based on the endearing band/artist name and a description that mentioned a “homespun party album” with nods to Sly and the Family Stone and Beck. And the first thing I see on the album jacket, once I’m past the picture of the cute little kid in his football footie pajamas, is this note: “If you own this CD, go ahead and make copies for your friends; I don’t really care to be honest with you and just appreciate your interest.” Viva, signor.


Unsolicited goodies:
7. AGNES CHAN – Forget Yourself (Bungalo/Universal)
Out February 14.
Billed as a “humanitarian/performer” and a “musician/activist” on her press sheet, Chan wrote these songs to tell the stories of children she met while doing work for UNICEF. So there’s a song (“Thirteen”) about a child prostitute and others about child soldiers and Ethiopian orphans. All of which could be a major bummer but the songs walk an uplifting, spiritual (as a concept, if not the style) road. The opening track, “Forget Yourself,” has a Peter Gabriel (global stage) feel, albeit with Jackie Chan listed as a member of the vocal choir. A portion of CD proceeds will go to UNICEF and she’s still working with the organization in other ways, so yay for the good guys.
8. The STRAYS – Life Support/Bastards of Young CD single (TVT)
The “A-side” (metaphorically) is used in the film “Transporter 2,” and so there’s a music video with the usual mayhem. And the “flip” is a cover of The Replacements, which shows good taste.
Factoid: lead singer Toby Marriott is the son of Steve Marriott, late and great front man from Small Faces and Humble Pie.
They Say: compared to the Killers with a more jagged tone
An album is due later this year, and songs are being previewed at www.thestrays.co.uk.
9. SHAWN MULLINS – 9th Ward Pickin’ Parlor (Vanguard)
I fear I’m always gonna see this guy as a One Hit Wonder. “Lullabye” sticks in my head in a way that either means I really like it or I was successfully brainwashed by hearing it a thousand times on the radio. The fact that nothing else he’s done, including the acclaimed Thorns gang-of-singers CD, has stuck with me would seem to indicate that the single was an earworm affection/affliction.
10. TAYLOR HOLLINGSWORTH – Tragic City (Brash Music)
Second copy of a CD I received as an advance late last year.
11. VARIOUS ARTISTS – Grammy 2006 Nominees (Sony/BMG)
Like the “Now (that’s what I call music)” series, this compilation series seems a blatant bid to milk every drop of revenue from some songs after they’ve been sold to the public in their original CD single or full-length CD form. If you’ve been able to resist the allure of a tune for all its time out in the marketplace, will the whole really exceed the sum of all these parts and convince Jane Q. Public to pay $14 for what’s essentially a 21-track mix CD? Why should she, when she could buy the few tunes she really must have for 99 cents each on iTunes? If I was in that position, perhaps I might spring for Seal’s version of “Walk on By,” which I admit I wasn’t even aware of until I read the liner notes.

YTD Total: 50

No comments: