Sunday, January 22, 2006

Bleak House and Bright Music

Watching the new Dickens mini-series on PBS and catching up on the collected music...

Today's CD trade-in store booty:
1. ELBOW - Powder Blue CD single (V2)
2. ELBOW - Cast of Thousands special edition (V2)
The CD single has two addtional tracks - "Suffer" and an acoustic version of "About Time."
And the CD, which I already own in its original version, is the deluxe edition, with a CD-ROM that includes videos and a film anout the band. The little sticker, written in a store clerk's hand, says "2nd album from this great Manchester dream pop band." Dream pop? I wouldn't have called Elbow that. Maybe mope rock, and I mean that in a good way.

And an attack of the cardboard freebies:
3. AMADOU & MARIAM - Dimanche A Bamako (Nonesuch)
2-track single, featuring Manu Chao.
4. ROB REYNOLDS - Find Me, Sample Me, Free Me, Take Me Sigthseeing (Invisible Hands)
An intriguing little number, this. In fact, it is numbered 20098, and the instructions on the back ask that I listen to and copy the music, and then leave the CD somewhere else - "on a train, aeroplane, in a cafe or venue." There's also a web site where you can log on and track the CD's progress once it's been sent on its way. Kinda like the "Where's George?" marked dollar bills.
5. MAT KEARNEY - The Chicago EP (Aware/Columbia)
What a pleasant suprise. It's not often you get a freebie that's 5 full tracks long, and of this consistent high quality. I put it on during the car ride home and was instantly impressed by the guy's voice, which reminds me, variably, of Chris Tapper (of the Push Stars), Citizen Cope (this guy raps, too), a bit if Jack Johnson and even some Chris Martin. Mat (with only one T) is due to have a full-length out in spring.

Friday, January 20:
6. WASHINGTON SOCIAL CLUB - Catching Looks (Badman)
I enjoyed the band's show at Jammin Java so much, I had to have a copy of the group's debut. Much as I've enjoyed listening to it the last two days, I don't think it does them justice. Live, lead singer Martin Royle has an endearing quality - a bit goofy, a bit sexy - and bassist Olivia Mancini is a cute (and sharp) blonde bassist, which isn't the only Talking Heads comparison you could make for this quintet. And I think that extra quitarist, who didn't appear on the debut CD, is one of the reason the live show has more punch, and it all bodes well for the band's next CD, due in the coming months. And in case you want to see that Post preview again...(click here)
7. DANIEL LEE - 3-track sampler (self-released)
An industrious home-made CD, yours for the taking at Jammin' Java, to promote Lee's upcoming J2 show. Simple but effective, the copier-created cover offers a photo, itinerary for the next few months, and a quote from washingtonpost.com which compares Lee to "Ben Harper with a funk-quitar style reminiscent of John Mayer." And that's an apt description. I'd definitely consider him for the Post column, but I just wrote about the club and need to share the love with other venues.

Arrived Friday, January 19:
8. IL DIVO – Ancora (Columbia)
“All by Myself” was an over-the-top hoot when Eric Carmen first recorded it. I can only imagine what these pretty boys do to it.
9. SAVAGE GARDEN – Truly Madly Completely: the best of (Columbia)
Another example of wanton reissue-ing. Who knew this pair had enough material to fill any full-length CD, let alone a greatest hits? The kids and I always joked that this act should be called the Koala Boys, ‘cause these pretty Australian guys were about as dangerous as a paper cut. I’m gonna listen to the B-side “I’ll Bet He Was Cool,” ‘cause the title has possibilities.

Over the past week:
10. TRISTAN PRETTYMAN – Twentythree (Virgin)
A second copy of the debut sent out last year. She’s coming to town (Barns of Wolf Trap) on February 14th, with Ben Taylor. One reviewer says she’s “poised to be the next Jewel,” which is one way to send me screaming from the room, but there’s also references to Sheryl Crow, Rickie Lee Jones and, on first listen, I buy the comparison to a female Jack Johnson.
11. VARIOUS ARTISTS – District Records, Volume One (District)
A 19-track compilation of local artists, due out on February 14th (happy valentine’s day). The label, home to acts like Trip Lizard and Los Hermanos Rodriguez (bassist Dave Ridgeway runs the show), sells directly to fans through its website at a cost of $10 per CD and 50 cents per song.
12. The SLACKERS – Peculiar (Hellcat)
A Dutch ska band. Yeah, why not?
13. The WIGGLES – Here Comes the Big Red Car (KOCH)
Every generation needs its harmless kids acts and, having lived through Sharon, Lois and Bram and Raffi, I’m not here to knock the Wiggles. But I do wonder about four hyper-energetic guys who dress in primary colors and sings songs with these titles:
“Five Little Joeys”
“Pufferbillies”
“I Want to Wear the Jacket”
“My New Shoes”
and this double feature:
“Dorothy’s Dance Party” and “Here We Go Dorothy”
Friends of Dorothy’s? And they sing 26 songs in 37 minutes! What are they on?
14. PEPPER’S GHOST – Shake the Hand That Shook the World (Hybrid)
This will be the third copy of this disc I’ve received, after a generic advance and a new release copy, both sent last year. But I needed an updated press kit for this week’s Post preview (click here). The last time I saw these guys, another show at Jammin Java, around last Thanksgiving, they had the audience in their thrall, but I had to leave early (family holiday car duties), so I’m looking forward to seeing the full show. Also on the bill, the Washington Social Club, who never did send a copy of their CD, even though I asked nicely – twice!
15. VA - PASTE Sampler
16. DOWNTOWN SINGAPORE – Don’t Let Your Guard Down (DCide)
Yet another – my third! – generic advance copy of the local band’s upcoming (February 21) release.
They Say: Produced by Matt Squire (Panic! at the Disco, The Receiving End of Sirens), Don't Let Your Guard Down expands the band's signature melodic indie rock with a formidable triple guitar attack and creates a cleaner, crisper sound that doesn't sacrifice any of the band's power or impact.
I Say: A credible effort, but doesn’t bring anything new to the table, at least that I can discern on first listen.
17. MERCURY RADIO THEATER - Blue Eyed Model (Lujo/Friction Records)
A song title to love: "We Put the Fun Back in Funeral." And "The Very Merry Unbirthday Song" is a good one, too.
18. WE ARE SCIENTISTS – Love and Squalor (Virgin)
My second copy, this one an official version. I’ve been traveling with the older, generic advance in the car and everytime I casually grab it and put it on, it sticks. Now I’m starting to see references to the band (a Spin feature, a highly-touted show in New York), and I'm feeling that there's something brewing here beyond hype.

YTD Total: 39

No comments: