Thursday, January 05, 2006

The Return of Half Man Half Biscuit!

Here's something I forget to mention that arrived yesterday:
1. HIP HOP ESSENTIALS, Vol. 5 (Tommy Boy)
I got Vol. 1 last month, and now here's #5. I feel like a kid who was collecting Happy Meals and, even though the commercial said "Collect all five," I haven't convinced mom and dad to take me to the Golden Arches enough times. Hey, Tommy Boy...please?

Purchased today:
2. The STROKES - Juicebox CD single (RCA)
Went to Best Buy intending to buy the full CD, but they only had the basic version, and I'm holding out for the "extended version" or the die-cut digi-pack that I just read about. For $1.99, this has two songs ("Hawaii" is the other track) and the director's cut of the video. I heard it was banned from MTV, which takes a lot these days, and havingjust watched it, I can confirm that it is an annoying piece of work. There's a too-long opening with David Cross taking an easy shot at a despicable morning DJ and the band playing in his studio. and then it's on to various raunchy couplings - boy-girl, girl-girl, boy-boy, and an implied old lady-dog! Oh, and there's vomit, too. What's up with this crap? Why would a band of this calibre want to distract from its music with sleazy (not to mention lazy) sex shots? Maybe I'll reconsider getting the album until I hear more of the songs, less of the hype.
3. VARIOUS ARTISTS - JOHN PEEL'S FESTIVE 15 (Uncut magazine)
My dear hubby is taking me to London in March for my birthday, and one of the things I know I will enjoy is the chance to listen to British radio, where DJ's talk to their listeners as if they have some brains and play music that doesn't always come from a database-driven playlist. Even then, they don't make 'em like John Peel anymore. This collection of tracks includes flashback favorites like The Mighty Wah! and the Sugarcubes, and an act I love for its name alone, Half Man Half Biscuit. Looking forward to a day of driving around when I can dig into this one.
4. PANIC! AT THE DISCO - A Fever You Can't Sweat Out (Fueled by Ramen)
Grace and I are going to see this band with hellogoodbye at the 930 Club next month, so we're doing a little advance research. I looked for something by The Academy Is..., too, since they're opening the show, but couldn't find anything by them. Times like that I'm reminded how much I miss funky independent record stores. Time for a trip to Tower, I guess.

Also, saw Marshall Chapman's 2003 novel/memoir, "Goodbye, Little Rock and Roller," in the clearance area and picked it up for a quick read. She was one of the original feisty, guitar-slinging women, responsible for titles like "Rode Hard and Put Up Wet," and I still have a vinyl copy of "Why Can't I Be Like Other Girls." Funny, now the author's picture on the back fly-leaf looks like one of the ladies I would car pool with. Time marches on, the bastard.

YTD: 8

No comments: