Friday, January 22, 2010

A great night of TV

As Conan does his last show (I always watched Letterman, but I think Coco got screwed, big payout or no), I salute the Hollywood/NY liberal media elite for the "Hope for Haiti Now" telethon. Damn fine music.

Once you put aside Madonna (if only we could) who still needs a huge chorus to hide her lame live vocal abilities (remember Live Aid? that was even worse), there wasn't a bad performance in the bunch. Even people I'm not generally crazy about (Kid Rock, Sting) rose to the occasion. And some of it was truly stunning. I thought John Legend's "Motherless Child" was going to be the highlight but then Justin Timberlake appeared, with his protege Matt Morris (and co-producer Charlie Sexton) and started "Hallelujah." I thought it was a brave, maybe foolish choice and then they nailed it! Gorgeous.

And the ladies ruled - Alicia Keys set the bar high with her opening song, Mary J. Blige may be our new Aretha Franklin, Rihanna got me (or maybe I got her?) for the first time, and I was taken by Shakira (it took a while to even realize it was her) for her power and restraint. I'd also praise Christian Aguilera for the same things, but memories of "Dirty" still linger.

I've pre-ordered the music from the show from iTunes. The whole thing for just $7.99? Can you even call it a contribution when you get so much back, including a good feeling?
Same thing applies, if I may, to what Paste magazine is doing, with 200+ downloads being given to anyone who donates. I wrote about it for examiner.com, if you want to check it out. But it's not about me. Watching the show, eating a lovely meal prepared by my dear husband, with my happy, healthy kids out and about, one of them about to celebrate her birthday, I know how very, very, very lucky I am.

Oh, and one more thing - Brad Pitt, man up and own your beauty. In other words, lose the goat-tee!

Ahhh...Neil Young is singing "Long May You Run" for Conan. A sweet musical ending to this post.

No comments: