Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Lost Art of Fact Checking

Seems like I'm just posting about errors lately, but when I hear something that's just plain wrong, it inspires me to type...

Was just watching the local news (WUSA channel 9) when my ears perked up to hear a cute a little story about a local music school, "from Bach to Rock" (don't know if that's the name or a description) that held a Battle of the Bands at the 930 Club. I thought it was nice that the station was giving exposure to the club and to the local bands, made up primarily of teenage kids, who were getting a chance to play on the revered venue's stage.

And then the talking head behind the news desk said that it was great to see the kids on stage because "many of them are too young to get into the club" on a regular night,
The thing is, the 930 Club is an all-ages club. My youngest started going there with us when she was about 8. So that was a good line to end the story, but a lazy one. And incorrect, too.

I did a story more than a year ago about a similar amateur kids' band show at Jammin' Java, where the most fun was taking pictures. So, strictly to add some photo illustration to this otherwise skimpy posting...

No comments: