Friday, May 29, 2009

Friday Night Video! and such

I am suffering from Phantom Limb Syndrome. My laptop is in the shop at Apple, getting a new logic board and hard drive - all within three weeks of its warranty running out, so I was lucky it went in just in time. But I miss my baby; it's like an extension of my arm and All My Stuff is there, 'cept for what I tossed onto a thumb drive before they pried it from my hands.

So, I'm working on Hubby's computer and can't access all the standard blog files. It's a good time to dig back to some oldies that I never got around to tallying Way Back When. Here's a batch of My Own Cash Money purchases from Ye Olde Thrift Store, where CDs are $1.50 all the time!
2001: A Space Odyssey (Rhino)
Always good to get a mix of classical favorites and soundtrack bits from a classic film.
OUTKAST - Hey Ya! (Arista)
Sure, I have the mp3 - which is still damn catchy - but the CD single comes with the video, also damn catchy.
HOT CHOCOLATE - You Sexy Thing (EMI)
A CD single which also includes “Every 1’s a Winner," two great disco-era songs that go great together. Taken from the "Full Monty" soundtrack.
MADONNA - Hollywood (Maverick/Warner Bros.)
I bought it cheap, thinking it might have some resale value, but it wasn’t worth enough to post on ebay or amazon, and it wound up back in the bag to go to the trade-in store. I am not a Madge fan. Don't get me started.
DESTINY’S CHILD - This is the Remix (Columbia)
Greatest hits, redone. But does not include the amazing mash-up of "Bootylicious" and "Smells Like Teen Spirit." That would have shown that Beyonce has a great sense of humor.
HEAR MUSIC: Volume 8: Between Stories (Hear Music)
I would buy every Starbucks sampler they made if they were priced more reasonably, and not like new releases from major artists.
YAZ - Upstairs at Eric’s (Sire)
Fun to revisit the sound of classic new wave (we didn't dare call it disco then) like "Situation" and "Don't Go." A chance to replace vinyl. Also made for a nice little treat to share with a rabid Depeche Mode fan-friend at Apple.

YTD O/CD Tally: 173
(I added one more for the previously mentioned Cloud Cult DVD)

And, as a reward for letting me indulge in easy catch-up, here is a link to a wonderful new addition to the hopefully ever-growing Literal Video Library (the only other one I know of is "Take On Me." Please tell me if you find others!)
"Total Eclipse of the Heart," as good as it ever was, maybe better:


Once upon a time I was falling in love, now I'm only falling apart...

No comments: