Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Struck Dumb by The Rock of Love

I have no moral authority any more to complain when my daughter watches crap TV. While I was fighting a bad head cold last week, I got pulled into VH-1’s “Rock of Love” marathon and spent almost 8 hours watching right through to the end (with some flipping to MSNBC news items and the second episode of “Reaper”). I saw the “Reunion” show, too, but College Girl gave me the wrong time (she saw my facebook posting about RoL and revealed she, too, is a fan) and I saw only the second half.

Still, I’ll always treasure those romantic moments:
“As I was pulling Brandi’s head out of the toilet, she said something that was one of the most touching moments of my life…”
(she told him, “I f*^#ing love you.”)
and
Bret telling the pole dancer, “It’s insanely awesome that you got my name tattooed on your neck.”

You’re better off without him, Jes.

Back to the O/CD tally. There’s a box of CDs old and new that need (?!) to be cataloged, and so we soldier on…

My Own Cash Money:
A return to Ye Olde CD Shoppe:
1. PETE TOWNSHEND – Empty Glass (Atlantic)
By request from Gracie, who’s smitten with the track “Let My Love Open the Door” as heard on commercials for the new Steve Carrell flick, “Dan in Real Life.” It’s funny, and fun, the way the kids pick up on old classics. Another current favorite – “September,” by Earth, Wind & Fire.
2. DAVE MATTHEWS BAND – Remember Two Things (Bama Rags Records)
I have been searching for a particular live version of “Ants Marching,” and alas, it’s not on this CD, either, but it’s a pretty rare 1993, non-RCA DMB set, so I’ll enjoy it for its historic value.
Which reminds me, I also have, from earlier this summer:
3. DAVE MATTHEWS and TIM REYNOLDS – Live at Radio City
A BG (burn gift) for me from Stacy, the supersweet fan for whom I picked up Craig’s List DMB concert tickets when I happened to be in the Albany area (long story).
4. SIGUR ROS – Von (Smekkleysa)
It appears to be an import, all of the info on the 1997 release being in another language (not the one they made up, I hope!) First listen sounded very instrumental/moody. Is it a film soundtrack?
And these great buys from the one-dollar clearance bin:
5. FRANK SINATRA – Songs for Swingin’ Lovers (Capitol)
Totally classic material from the heydays with the amazing Nelson Riddle. Can’t understand why it was only a buck. A mix of heavy hitters – “I’ve Got You Under My Skin,” “How About You?”- and amusing obscurities – “It Happened in Monterey,” “ You’re Getting to Be a Habit With Me” (which always reminds me of Allen Sherman singing, “You’re Getting to Be a Rabbit with Me.”)
6. VARIOUS ARTISTS – Motown Remixed
I might have this already, but if I do, it’s a great buy that I can pass on to my sister or brother.
7. JUDITH OWENS – Happy This Way (Courgette)
I know this is a duplicate, but this advance promo of Mrs. Harry Shearer’s latest pop/jazz collection will go to the friend who attended and enjoyed her IOTA show with me earlier this year.
8. BACKSTREET BOYS – Shape of My Heart CD single (Jive)
I can’t help myself! Just a buck for “Loneliness is tragical…” and an a capella version of “All I Have to Give.”
9. MARY SUE TWOHY – Songs to Hang on Stars (Azalea City)
Twohy is one of those hard-working local musicians who doubles as a press agent for other HWLM’s and, while she tirelessly sends me material about her charges, she rarely promotes her own cause. So I’ll give it a listen and maybe I can write about one of her upcoming shows.
10. FLY PAN AM – Sedatif en Frequences et Sillons (Constellation)
Another $1 impulse buy, based solely in the striking package green cardstock CD envelope with letterpressed shocking pink graphic of I-know-not-what and French liner notes.

Other recent purchases:
11. VARIOUS ARTISTS – Across the Universe ST (Interscope)
Best Buy was promoting their 2-disc version as an exclusive, and I’m glad I went for it. The “normal” version doesn’t include
Eddie Izzard doing “Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite,” one of my favorites from the film, which hubby and I saw Monday night. It was, simply put, audacious and delightful. I was (mis)led into thinking that there was next to no dialogue, with the Beatle lyrics covering all the conversation, but it was much more integrated than that. Hubby is particularly wary of Beatles exploitation, as he was a fanatic Back in the Day, but we were both pleased by the sincere, but not slavishly respectful, use of these modern standards. The casting was terrific (high school girl and I are now rivals for the charming Jim Burgess, who plays Jude) – a triple-threat talented group of bright young things. Julie Taymor’s vision is daringly idiosyncratic and yet approachable by anyone who lived through the times. Accept the fact that people are going to break into songs you think are carved in stone, and enjoy the ride.
12. JOSH RITTER – The Historical Conquests Of… (Sony/BMG)
Best Buy offered this with a 4-track bonus CD, so I had to grab it the first week it was out, despite not knowing a song on it. Ritter is a major talent. I’ve seen him live twice and loved him both times (the first time, we chatted afterwards and he hugged me when I told him I’d named “Hello, Starling” one of my Top Ten albums of 2005. He was so cute in his suit and red sneakers!). I’ll confess, no song grabbed me on the first listen, but I need to revisit. I trust him as an artist who’ll make repeated visits worth my time. My local NPR station is broadcasting live from tonight’s 930 Club show. Maybe that will kick start some of these tracks.
13. VARIOUS ARTISTS – Outlaw Country
Just shy of an hour’s worth of Sirius Radio as hosted by Mojo Nixon. Another Best Buy freebie they just had hanging about. The CD trade-in store offered me 25 cents for it.
14. SAINT ETIENNE – Travel Edition 1990-2005 (Sub Pop)
Has this band really had a 15-year run? Except for that lovely rendition of Neil Young’s “Only Love Can Break Your Heart,” I was never particularly smitten with breathy female voice/throbbing rhythmic pulse bit. Seemed a bit One Trick Pony to me. But the library was having a sale, and this seemed like a good $3 way to support the cause. Now that it’s grooving behind me as I type, I can see the trio had more to offer than I gave them credit for. (no, I’m not re-writing to fix that dangler…)
15. LINKIN PARK – Minutes to Midnight (Warner Bros.)
Another, older, CD trade-in, by request of HS girl, who sometimes needs High Angst Music for her teenage lifestyle. When she plays it in the car, I simply hang on, figuring I need to know what’s happening in the HAM world, but I know it’s not made for me. Though I needn’t hear “What I’ve Done” ever again, I admit that “Bleed It Out” is damn catchy, and any major label band that wants to make snarky comments about Bush is OK in my book.

Free Music Time!
So why does the cover of Bruce’s new CD look like a mug shot?
Borders is offering a free stream of "Radio Nowhere"
so you can hear for yourself how much it sounds like Tommy Tutone’s “867-5309 (Jenny)”

YTD O/CD Tally: 739

No comments: