Friday, October 26, 2007

Concert Photo Special (CMJ to come)

It usually takes about a week ro recover from CMJ, and the 2007 edition was no exception. I was very lucky in that almost evey act I came across - some by accident, others with schedule in hand - was enjoyable, ranging from just okay to wow! I'm still compiling the photos and text for the CPF CMJ Report, but first I have some catching up to do on other recent concerts.

Tuesday night brought Spoon to the 930 Club. Hubby and I feared chaos - ticketholders to the Shins/Spoon show at Merriweather on Monday night were offered free admission with ticket stub and some kind of special voucher. And this was in addition to those of us who bought tickets for either the Monday (cancelled) or Tuesday 930 Club shows. Admission was first come, first served (though original ticket holders got preference) and subject to capacity. We got there early, fearing a mob scene and what a relief that no such nightmare appeared. The club knows its shit and made things flow smoothly, there was no crowd crush (surprisingly, 'cause this band is poised at the brink of true greatness) and it was a wonderful show. Over two dozen songs in a little more than 90 minutes, deep catalog cuts (they didn't even touch the new album until the second half), a good horn section for "Cherry Bomb" and "The Underdog," spiffy guitar work, and a tight band that's equal parts solid craftsmanship and clever twists.







Right before leaving for CMJ, I got to see Marah play at my favorite little local joint, Jammin Java. I mentioned the show the last time I posted, but was having trouble getting photos to upload. So here's a few of that band...





No comments: