Monday, October 15, 2007

CPF 2 NYC 4 CMJ!

Time is tight. Taking the Tuesday morning train up to NYC for CMJ, so most of the music playing in the house these days is stuff I’ve pulled from the shelves or requested from PR pals to help me prepare for the four fabulous days, three fun-filled nights (I return home on Friday) that lie ahead.

Among the bands I am listening to and maybe seeing live…
1. WISELY – S/T (Ella/Oglio)
2. SCISSORS FOR LEFTY – Underhanded Romance (Eenie Meenie Records)
3. T.H. WHITE – The Private Spotlight (Sky Council)
4. KAISER CARTEL – Live From Breakthu Radio (self-released)
Lovely little package – letterpress on craft cardboard, numbered 124 of 300.
5. HOOTS & HELLMOUTH – S/T (MAD Dragon)

Alas, though all of these CDs made initial good impressions, the bands are playing after I depart. Maybe they’ll come down DC way.
6. SLARAFFENLAND – Private Cinema (Hometapes)
7. AS TALL AS LIONS – S/T (Triple Crown)
8. OLIVER FUTURE – Pax Futura (Fireproof Recordings)

Not to be tallied (they were already), but worth mentioning if you're gonna be in town...
FUTURE KINGS of NOWHERE – S/T (307 Knox Records)
“10 Simple Murders” has a bit of a Decemberists vibe, and the whole thing is a simple, you’re-right-there-while-the-band-kicks-it-live thing happening. I have a theatre date with College Girl Tuesday night, or I’d try to catch their show.

Alaser, while I’m in NYC, I won’t be in DC to see one of my most favorite live acts:
9. MATT NATHANSON – Some Mad Hope (Vanguard)

And now for music related to recent Post previews:
10. The LASCIVIOUS BIDDIES – Get Lucky (Eastway)
Fun band – four wacky women (the alliteration is too easy!) who combine pop, caberet and a touch of jazz. Lascivious Biddies
11. OZOMATLI – Don’t Mess with the Dragon (Conchord)
12. FOOLS & HORSES – Pop Filter (self-released)
Two bands, one preview.

13. BROTHER SHAMUS – Manifest (self-released)
an older preview and a CD never tallied.

14. DENISON WITMER – Are You Dreamer? (The Militia Group)
I bought this CD, sound unheard, last year when Tower Records (R.I.P.) was having its Everything Must Go sale. It was probably about two bucks, and I was drawn in by the old-fashioned knitted words on the cover. Turned out to be a sweet, lo-fi collection of fine singer/songwriter pop by a guy from Philly. When I saw he was coming to town, I pitched him as a Post preview and had a brief, nice conversation with him. The record label sent me this duplicate of the CD, plus...
15. DENISON WITMER – Safe Away/Are You A Sleeper (The Militia Group)
A 2-disc set consisting of a new album’s worth of tunes, plus an EP of even quieter versions of songs from the afore-mentioned CD, plus live and bonus tracks. I was sorry to miss Witmer’s show, but I was home with the “Rock of Love” flu.
16. MARLA HANSEN – Wedding Day EP (self-released)
She opened for Witmer and I would have liked to have seen her, too. I may still get a half-chance, since she plays with My Brightest Diamond and they hit the IOTA on November 16th.

17. MATT HAIMOVITZ – After Reading Shakespeare (Oxingale)
18. MATT HAIMOVITZ – J.S. Bach: 6 Suites for Cello Solo (Oxingale)
After previewing this show for the Post, I was able to make it out for the night and was smitten by the sound of a single pure instrument put to stunning use. I don’t buy many CDs at shows, but after hearing the gorgeous opening and closing numbers at the IOTA show, both of them Bach pieces that made my heart happy, I splurged for $30 on this 3-disc set. I’d like to devote a rainy afternoon to listening to the whole thing all the way through, but the ones I’ve heard so far are a balm for the soul.

I also got out of the house to see MARAH -
a wild bunch, in the nicest way, reminiscent of young Stones or the Replacements at their boozy best.

Other recent Post previews:
Nick Lowe and Suzanne Vega (different shows)

PEP (Puffy Envelope Promo) Squad:
19. SHINY TOY GUNS – We Are Pilots (Universal/Motown)
A much better, more diverse album than I would have thought from the track featured on the Razr commercial, where an insufferably hip couple use their sharp (get it?) phones to cut each other’s clothing to shreds on a subway platform (violence is not sexy, OK?)
20. PLAIN WHITE T’S – Every Second Counts (Hollywood)
A while back, Grace and I picked up an EP from these guys, drawn to a song called “All That We Needed.” The featured song on the CD was “Hey There Deliah,” which is tagged on to this full-length as a bonus track. It’s the best thing here, a highlight of the summer passed, a sunbeam of a song, shot through with good feeling. The band is coming to town November 11th, opening for Fall Out Boy at the Patriot Center. I bet they steal the show.
21. COUNTING CROWS – August and Everything After DE (Geffen/UME)
UME gives value for your dollar. Resissue a classic album and nclude a second disc with something extra, in this case a concert recorded in France in 1994.

O/CD Project YTD Total: 760

No comments: