Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Battle is Over.


Why has it taken me so long to racap the last night of the Jammin’ Java Mid-Atlantic Band Battle, which took place this past Friday? There’s some of my usual inertia, no doubt (rare and happy are the writers who welcome and honor deadlines) and maybe it's because it’s always so much fun that I’m sorry when I have to admit it’s over.  The club is always such a fun place to hang, but to have a free tab for food and drink (that’s our “pay”), a comfy seat with a clear view of the stage, the chance to hear fine local music, chat with area friends and promote the CPF cause of world domination…that’s a great night out!

The judging part can be hard, though. Not in the sense of it being a labor but in that it can be very difficult to choose just one favorite band. The four acts that competed in the finals were of wildly varied styles, but each earned its place on the bill by winning a previous night of competition. So, unlike the preliminary nights I’d judged, I knew there wouldn’t be a stinker in the bunch. As I said to some of the musicians I chatted with, sometimes the scoring (we rate on a set of criteria including songwriting, musicianship, style and audience response) makes me think of a swimming meet. It can come down to fractional differences that determine the winner.

Here’s how the night played out...
First up was Light Speed Rescue, a band of young players whose hip-hop/rock blend was as potent as the first night I saw them.
Despite having the unenviable opening slot, the guys gave it all they had, and the lead singer even wound up stripping to the waist in the final song. It's the kind of gesture that can seem over-the-top, but it didn't feel contrived at all, and the guy was buff, so all good.
Second to the stage was the Chris Collat Band, an older bunch of cats whose veteran status came through loud and clear in tight jams.
 Last time I saw the CCB play, they reminded me of Dave Matthews Band. This night, the songs made me think of Hootie and the Blowfish, but that's a double-edged sword (as huge as Hootie was, I never got it).
Delta Rae was next, another totally pro outfit whose choice of soundcheck song (Billy Joel's "New York State of Mind") hinted at the strong melodic nature of their originals. Here's one of the two female vocalists with Nate Ihara, the Hardest Working Man in Local Showbiz, who hosted the event yet again. (BTW, Nate's band, We Were Kings, are playing with Delta Rae on March 10 at the IOTA. See you there.)


With four-part harmonies and a bit of southern soul, these North Carolina siblings and friends became the band to beat.
And here's where the joys (and pains) of judging really come in. The last act of the night, The Silver Liners, won the one preliminary Battle that I didn't judge, and so was the one band on this night that I hadn't seen before. What a great surprise! As one of the club staff told me afterward, "they really brought it."

The band came roaring out of the gate with a garage pop song called "Hot Mess" and proceeded to rip through eight tunes in their half-hour set, all of them crackling with guitar-fueled hooks.
 Though they didn't need extra help, the Silver Liners brought on a friend, rapper Dom-O, onstage for one number.
A highlight of the set, "Better Than Your Boyfriend," became my new favorite track, the kind of sharp, angular pop that Franz Ferdinand made safe for radio. I was delighted to see it listed on the six-track demo EP that the band handed out after the show. (O/CD Tally: 24)


Like I said, it was a tough call to choose just one winner. When the scoresheets were taken away to be tallied, I was as eager as the audience to find out which band would win the cash, equipment, studio time and future headlining show. (The judges don't talk about their scoring; it's all secret ballots.) As it turned out, Delta Rae took the top honors and, though I felt bad for the other guys, I'm sure you'll be hearing from all of them again - especially here, as I look forward to writing about their future shows. When the music's good, nobody's a loser. (Does Hallmark do a line of cards for musicians?)

Hey, look what I found....(I can't remove the second Silver Liners link; sorry)...support local music!

No comments: