Monday, January 03, 2011

First Show of the New Year - The Shields Brothers at Jammin Java 1-2-11

I'm tired and I want to got to bed, but in keeping with my new commitment to blog often (dare I say everyday?), I wanted to toss up a few pictures from my first concert of 2011. The band above is The Getaways, a Baltimore-based pop/punk outfit that opened the show. I didn't see their full set, but chatted with guitarist Matt Higgins after the show and he gave me a copy of the band's most recent CD, "The Boldest Thought." (O/CD Tally: 2) Listened to it on the way home and think it might be something the girls might enjoy, being that they are fans of the style.

The rest of the photos here are of The Shields Brothers, a sibling band from a nearby small town here in Northern Virginia; the act that I specifically wanted to see. The guys had very much impressed me at a previous J2 Battle of the Bands, where their unflagging energy, goofy good humor and over-the-top showmanship made them contenders for the evening's top spot. They ultimately lost (as much fun as the Shieldseseseses were, another band had stronger original material) but I definitely wanted to see the trio do a full set sometime.

And so, despite being a bit draggy after a day's mall-hopping with the girls, I got myself to the show and had a great time. These guys really know how to put on a show. Above, you've got Devin Shields showing the audience how to do the dance that goes with the tune "Shark Attack."

Next, you see guitarist Tristan, who also sang lead on a righteous cover of Kings of Leon's "Sex on Fire," facing off with Devin. And next up is Rory, who drums not only with power but with style, adding fancy stick swirls to the big beat.

And this time around, the three bros played some new material that showed exponential growth from the last time I saw them. I'm telling you here and now, The Shields Brothers are a band to watch.

I'm going to post more photos and a more "formal" concert report on examiner.com tomorrow, but I wanted CPF to get the first draft. 

And so, a good start to the year in live music!

No comments: