Tuesday, August 11, 2009

House on the Lake - again!

It's been two weeks since the last blog entry? Oh, dear. And now I'm on "vacation," at the upstate NY lake house. Will that provide me with yet another excuse? No!

First, the latest Washington Post previews, which were posted last week.
In the Arlington/Alexandria Extra section, we have:
Keegan DeWitt, Annie & the Beekeepers at Galaxy Hut
and in the Fairfax Extra, there's:
Marina V at Falls Church Episcopal Church

And here are the latest stories on the Examiner site
(please subscribe so that you’ll be informed of each new one when it goes online):
New Tales to Tell: A Tribute to Love And Rockets
The Dodos - Time to Die
Both of these stories included zip files of the digital downloads being sent to me, so I'm including them in the tally.
And this story was inspired by an actual,physical CD.
Datarock - Red (Nettwerk)
Datarock plays tribute to Talking Heads

When John Hughes died, I thought he deserved
a little appreciation for the great music he used in his films.

The O/CD Report (long gone, but not forgotten)
Went to the Thrift store last week. Donated a throw pillow, a coffee pot, some videos, a few T-shirts and various castaway toys. Got five new CDs for $1.50 each.
SWITCHFOOT – Learning to Breathe (Rethink/Sparrow)
I like this band. They’re Christian rockers who celebrate their faith without pushing their agenda (although I don’t know whether they get preachy in concert). I didn’t recognize this CD cover (three stickmen with TV-type heads) so I thought maybe it was a rarity. Now I see (through the amazon listings) that it’s the standard debut release on their original Christian label, before they got signed to Sony. One slight change, though. Here, the hit single is called, “I Dare You to Move.” Sony dropped the “I” when they put the track on “The Beautiful Letdown” release.
(The Best of) NEW ORDER (Qwest/Warner Bros.)
No, not the deluxe box set thingy, but enough good music for the reference library in the meantime.
CAROLE KING – Really Rosie (Ode/Epic/Legacy)
The original TV soundtrack featuring the wonderful “Chicken Soup with Rice.” There’s a “Where the Wild Things Are” movie coming, which would have me really worried expect that it’s directed by Spike Jonze, and I saw a pretty good trailer, so there’s hope it may capture the whimsical magic of the book. It’s time to renew (or continue) our memberships in the Maurice Sendak Appreciation Society. Let the wild rumpus start!
SWITCHFOOT – Live in San Diego (Columbia Music Video)
It comes in a CD-size case, but it’s a concert video.
TRAVIS – Why Does It Always Rain on Me? (Independiente)
4 music tracks, including a live song and the band’s cover of “…Baby One More Time,” plus multimedia which I can’t play, since it’s for older/different computer platforms (I’m a mac). There’s a sticker on the cover, promising stickers inside but, alas, they are not included.

YTD O/CD Tally:244

No comments: