Saturday, April 11, 2009

Shame is Me

I've been bad. No excuses. Just gonna jump back in, quickly.
First up, a cute picture...

Next, the most recent Post previews, with accompanying new CD acquisitions, where appropriate:
Dan Hicks and the Hot Licks at the State Theatre
DAN HICKS and the HOT LICKS - Tangled Tales (Surfdog)
Here’s an odd thing - I previously mentioned finding an advance copy of this CD at the trade-in store, and bought it in anticipation of a possible preview. When I tried to play it, it was a blank CD, even though it had the same printed label as this one I just got. (I used it to make a “sloppy copy” of some soundtrack songs for the car). Was a little nervous when I popped this new copy in, but it played fine. And it’s fine fun to listen to, too, including cool covers of “Subterranean Homesick Blues” and a real oldie that I remember fondly from long ago kidtime, “Ragtime Cowboy Joe.”

And I got two copies of the debut CD by the opening act (in separate mailings from different people):
CARAVAN OF THIEVES - Bouquet (self-released)
here's how the band looks in full roll...

Keller Williams at the Birchmere
KELLER WILLIAMS - Live (Sci Fidelity)
I had a nice chat with Williams, who seems like a mellow dude, and I'm pretty proud of how the story turned out, but this kind of musical noodling is not my bag, baby. This double CD, with DVD extra, is not Williams in his solo act, but appearing in a group setting with bassist Keith Moseley (from the String Cheese Incident), Gibb Droll on guitar, and Jeff Sipe on drums.
Crisis in Hollywood, Westbound Train, et al. at Fat Tuesday’s
CRISIS in HOLLYWOOD - Safe and Sound (Financial Records)
I played this one in the car with College Girl as we were driving her back to VCU, but she was unimpressed. Borrows a little too heavily from the play-by-numbers emo songbook. Not bad, but nothing highly original.
EULOGIES - Here Anonymous (Dangerbird)
Last year, the band's publicist sent me the band's ultra-spiffy "VinylDisc" release. One side is a CD, the other has actual vinyl grooves for playing on a turntable. (Don't lose that little adapter!). In prep for the band's appearance at IOTA, I got a zip file download of the new full-length:
Blind Pilot, Eulogies, Middle Distance Runner at the IOTA
BLIND PILOT - 3 Rounds and a Sound (Expunged)
One of my favorite new bands of the not-so-new-anymore year. Lovely sound, recommended to all you Fleet Foxes fans. And here's a sample that I'm allowed to share -“Go On Say It."

Which makes the YTD O/CD Tally: 109
And, finally, the best to all for a happy Easter, Passover and/or Spring!

No comments: