Friday, October 03, 2008

Let Me Tell You ‘Bout the Bird and the Bee


Greetings from Philadelphia! In “1776,” the singing John Adams decried, “foul, fetid, fuming, foggy, filthy Philadelphia!” Maybe it was back in the day when the founding fathers were hammering out the Declaration of Independence, but I’m certainly enjoying my visit here, having only had one brief day trip here some years ago.

And I must now tell the citizens of this city to cherish its superb venue, World Café Live, where I spent a most lovely first night in town. Located in a beautiful building that also houses the offices and studios of WXPN radio, there are actually two venues – a smaller upstairs space that had a jazz band playing (what I heard wandering the halls was pretty good), and the bigger, two level downstairs theatre that hosted The Bird and The Bee, the act I came to see.

As befits a venue created and served by a radio station, the sound was impeccable. And it was worth hearing every note played by this band which, I confess, I had little prior knowledge of (yes, I’m ending a sentence with a preposition. Sue me.) I just bought the iTunes version of the duo’s debut CD the night before leaving Virginia (see O/CD Tally, below) and what I heard on the drive was impressive – bright electropop with an artsy/indie spirit, marked by distinctive female vocals. Frankly, I was worried that the act would have trouble replicating the sophisticated sound live.

And yet, with just the two players on stage, the sound was rich, supplemented by careful use of tapes. But the real highlight was watching vocalist and (frequently) bassist Inara George, daughter of the late Little Feat leader, Lowell George. Dressed in a simple white dress that flared dramatically, George was, in a word, adorable. Her voice was clear and unaffected, her banter charming and her charisma undeniable. She reminded me of the great Jane Siberry in her earlier, poppier years, with a touch of Bjork (without the sometimes off-putting insistence on always being avant-garde).

I missed the opening set by Willoughby, but the trio came out to help on a few mid-set songs. I chatted with the band afterward and wound up buying a limited edition copy of the self-titled CD, party out of curiosity and party because I didn’t feel I could walk away from the merch booth without contributing.)


The Bird and The Bee is (are?) releasing a new CD early next year, and played a few of the new songs in this show, including a poptastic Japanese-tinged number that I think could be a huge hit in a Gwen Stefani mode. There were also two covers that took cheesy oldies and breathed fresh air into them – a playful take on Hall and Oates’ “I Can’t Go For That (No Can Do)” and a wistful, affecting “How Deep Is Your Love” (used in the “Sex and the City” movie) which reminds me that the BeeGees deserve their props.

The Bird and The Bee, plus Willoughby, will be playing at Jammin’ Java in Vienna (VA) on Friday night. Highly, highly recommended, If I were going to be home, I’d be sorely tempted to go right back again for more.

So, let’s add:
1. The BIRD and The BEE – S/T (Blue Note)
2. WILLOUGHBY – I Know What You're Up To (self-released)

Year to Date O/CD Tally: 160

No comments: