Wednesday, November 28, 2007

So Many Ways to Buy Music…

A Genuine Record Store!

Last week, when I drove into DC to pick up College Girl for the Turkey Day Visit (ours was great; hope the same for you and yours), I left early, thinking I’d kill time in the Dupont Circle area and get a taste of city life.
And there, lo and behold, was a real record store! Melody Record Shop is a small space but crammed into every nook and cranny is a bigger and better selection than anything you’d find in a Best Buy. I was overwhelmed at first, not even sure what to look at/for, so I just wandered, past the classical and showtunes, letting the familiar and unfamiliar names wash over me. Then I hit the rock/pop section and began to focus.
There were reminders of many CDs I have at home and need to sample or revisit, along with new names that I’d heard something about. Now I could indulge my curiosity with visual cues. Yeah, it’s old skool to bother with cover art and liner notes, but it helps zero me in on what I might want to explore further.
The prices were higher than I’m used to - $15 and $16 for most titles – but some of the new releases weren’t much more than sale price at Barnes & Noble, who’ve gotten a lot of my money in the past year. There was a new Sigor Ros (but I think I want the DVD…) and a Jimmy Eat World that High School Girl might like for Christmas…
I picked up a Jamie Cullum compilation CD I’d not seen before (“The Mind of…”) and showed the back cover – full of titles and artists I recognized – whether it was an album of Jamie doing cover tunes, or a collection of songs he liked. The guy knew exactly what I was talking about (try that at Best Buy!) – it was the latter. “He has good taste,” I said, then added, “It’s so nice to be in a real record store again.” The guy gave me a bright, surprised smile. “Thanks!” he said.

How could I not buy?! I had to support the cause! I decided on these:
1. STARS – In Our Bedroom After the War (Arts & Crafts)
Not only a good price ($13) but a bonus DVD, too, and a real album package, with a set of 12 art cards with lyrics (a puzzle, actually, of the cover) and a very short story by Daniel Handler (a.k.a Lemony Snicket) - the whole nine yards (as hubby likes to say). It also earned me some street cred with college girl, who asked to listen to it on the ride home.
2. RYAN ADAMS & the CARDINALS – Follow the Lights (Lost Highway)
A 7-song EP for $6, so we beat the iTunes $1/song price point. Adams is prolific to a fault – who can keep up with all his releases? With downloads stealing the thunder of most full-length discs, CD singles and EPs seem to be evern closer to extinction, so I love getting them as a geek toy/possible investment for their inherent collector’s status. Listening to the songs as I type, this is the quiet, introspective Adams, not the trip-wire rocker.

And then, in that charming way that only independent music stores have, I saw the stack of freebies – not the corporate sponsored Shrek-commercials-on-disc that the big box stores hand out, but odds n’ sods that the store has lying around and offers to share. I passed on the foam-core mounted Magic Numbers poster, but besides the red plastic fold-out pocket mirror that will convince few people to buy the new Backstreet Boys “Unbreakable,” I scored:
3. KLAXONS – Magick (Polydor)
A 3-track CD single, apparently a British import. The UK press goes all soft like banana pudding when talking about this band, which took the Mercury Prize for its 2007 CD, touted as the future of recorded sound. While I have no argument with the appeal of heavy bass dance rock – especially at this price – I just don’t think it’s all that groundbreaking, and I happen to think The Rapture do it just as well, maybe better.
4. AC/DC – Plug Me In bonus CD (Columbia)
A two-track sampler tied to the box set of live tracks. “Dog Eat Dog” and “Back in Black,” the latter making it to my iTunes for my token metal moment and tribute to Lewis Black, whose “Daily Show” segments have forever lodged the tune in my brain.
5. JAVON JACKSON – Where is the Love (Palmetto)
I got confused, thought this one-track radio edit was a version of that inspiring Black Peas song, but it’s the old R&B soul hit, done in a totally lame “quiet storm” arrangement that reminds me of another great benefit to freebies – they can warn you away from stuff you need not pursue further.

At Eastern Market
This past weekend, taking College Girl back to the city so she could catch a train, hubby and I took a swing through Eastern Market which, despite losing use of its beautiful old building due to fire, still offers lots of cool tabletop merchants. The guy selling seemingly promo copies of books and one small box of CDs didn’t want to make the deal I proposed (4 discs for $22) but I got 3 for $20, two of them total WTF purchases, based solely on cool graphics, fun song titles and a good local rep:
6. URSULA 1000 – Kinda’ Kinky (Eighteenth Street Lounge Music)
Retro lounge music with titles like “Beatbox Cha Cha” and “Riviera Rendezvous” – plays as funny chill as it sounds.
7. URSULA 1000 – Ursadelica (Eighteenth Street Lounge Music)
A mix collection. The only artist that I recognize is Kraak en Smaak. But hey, I can learn.
8. STEPHEN STILLS – Just Roll Tape – April 26th, 1968 (Rhino)
A 2007 release, dug up from the Rhino files. Looks like an advance copy, in generic jewel case, with a nonetheless cool graphic on the cover – a simulated old, coffee- and tape residue-stained tape box. Some song titles I don’t recognize (anyone want to guess what “Dreaming of Snakes” is about?) and a few classics – “Suite: Judy Blue Eyes,” “Wooden Ships,” “Helplessly Hoping”…
And, as the Ryan Adams CD winds down, I realize that this particular disc fits very comfortably in the C,S,N&Y mode. Cosmic.

Back to the Big Boxes:
I do occasionally run into things I didn’t know I wanted at the retail giants, things like:
9. PAUL OAKENFELD – Greatest Hits & Remixes (Ultra/Perfecto)
An 80-minute seamless trip through some recognizable tunes (Radiohead, U2, Happy Mondays, Justin Timberlake and more) plus some things that are new to me, all with an energizing dance beat providing a dance floor bottom.
And stuff I knew I had to have:
10. FEIST – The Reminder (Cherrytree/Interscope)
It wasn’t just the endless catchy drumbeat of the iPod commercials, but that was the tipping point for finally breaking down and buying the full CD – even after High School Girl’s friend put that key song, and another good one, on a mix. And, in a rare bow to more HS sentiment, I bought my first round of ringtones, including “1,2,3,4” – which was ever-so-appropriate to hear when HSG calls me.
11. JOSE GONZALES – In Our Nature (Imperial/Muse)
It hasn’t caught on with the wildfire intensity of the brilliant first album, but the man knows how to croon, so I’m sure it will grow on us.
12. FLIGHT of the CONCORDS – The Complete First Season (HBO DVD)
My one beef with this collection – and I do so love being able to listen to/watch “Business Time” any time I want – is that there are no special features. Considering that there’s an HBO stand-up (actually, they sit and play) special of the guys, and a whole series of iTunes podcasts that take you behind the scenes and into the warped mind of Mel, not including a few extra tidbits seems a real shame. Spit roast?

Sometimes in places you’d never expect:
While exploring the strange new world of the Five Below store (like a Dollar store, but everything is priced…), I saw a rack of $5 DVDs, among which was a favorite music movie I muchly enjoyed on VHS and wanted to replace:
13. BACKBEAT (Universal DVD)
Iain Softley’s lovely and gritty evocation of the Beatles in their Hamburg days, with a stunning depiction of John Lennon by Ian Hart. Great music, too, by a band featuring the likes of Dave Grohl, David Pirner and Mike Mills. And interview and deleted scenes, as special editions should be!

Used, Cheap and Sometimes Unusual:
Way back in October, during my NYC/CMJ visit, I had a few minutes to explore a music shop in the East Village. My best buys were actually a stylishly frightening pastel green Clash shirt and an unfamiliar alien logo T-shirt for HSG, but I found a few bargains in the used CD bins:
14. TRACY CHAPMAN – Telling Stories (Elektra?)
$1.00, by request from HSG, who has developed a retro thing for the singer/songwriter.
15. The PIPETTES – We Are the Pipettes (Cherrytree/Interscope)
At $1.50, a cheap way to learn about a group I’d merelyheard of. Nice stuff, too – a ballsy modern take on the old girl-group sound.
And collected on the last two visits to my old favorite, the CD Cellar:
16. OKKERVIL RIVER – The Stage Names (Jagjaguwar)
Sure to wind up on a lot of Year’s Best lists and, while I’m not ready to commit to that just yet, the opening song, “Our Life is Not a Movie or Maybe,” will be making an appearance on my Best of 2007 tracks mix. Glad to finally hear what all the buzz is about (for $8) but I just noticed that the disc is marked “Special Radio Edit Version. FCC Clean.” What am I missing?
17. TODD SNIDER – Live at Grimey’s ( )
A 7-song concert CD ($8) recorded 10.20.06. Not sure if this is an official release or a promo? Wanted to hear if there was an anti-Bush intro/rant to go with the wonderful “You Got Away With It (A Tale of Two Fraternity Brothers)” but alas, no.
18. TINY MASTERS OF TODAY – Bang Bang Boom Cake (Great Society/World’s Fair)
It’s a bare-bones advance copy but the helpful clerks have added a sticker on the front that says the CD features Fred Schneider, Karen O, Gibby Haynes and Kimya Dawson (I don’t know that last name). Missed the band’s showcase at CMJ, so glad to catch up at the discount price of $4. Upon listening, I heard a sloppy but happy vibe, and then discovered that the players are actually two brothers, aged 13 and 11. That explains it, though I’m guessing it’s much more engaging live.
19. U.S. NAVAL ACADEMY BAND, GLEE CLUB, DRUM and BUGLE CORPS – Set Sail (Richardson)
Purchase inspired by my cousin Brian, recently retired from the Navy (at the ripe old age of 47!) and the thrower of one bitchin’ party. (Tequila shots, anyone?) I may listen once, may even burn a disc for those rare occasions when I don’t feel my sweet country is going to hell in the proverbial handbasket, and then I’ll send it to him as a (gag?) gift.
20. WILCO – Kicking Television (Nonesuch)
We bought, and played the hell out of this album, for the last six months or so, but then Terry had his CD holder – filled with about 15 of his favorite discs – stolen out of his luggage when he was traveling. So I’ve been slowly replacing each album as I find it on sale. Since we still have the original jewel boxes, I buy the replacement, make a copy of the CD, keep the copy and sell back the original – guilt free because I paid for the original before it was lifted.
Practically stolen from the Buck Bin:
21. CRAIG NUTTYCOMBE & PIPER HEISIG – Two Buck Chuck (self-released?)
I wasn’t paying attention and thought is was a full CD in a cardboard sleeve, but it’s really just the one song. Luckily, it’s a funny one – about, as you might guess, cheap wine.
22. The AUTOMATIC – Not Accepted Anywhere (B. Unique/Columbia)
Ooops. A duplicate. Looking back in the records, I see that this was the first ”A” album to be tallied in the 2007 blog, grouped with the stuff that I purchased in England. HSG had fallen fort he band based on a photo in a British mag and I picked it up for her at the supermarket (surprisingly good selection) when we were shopping for dinner. This copy is in a cardboard advance sleeve that will save space when I trade in the other one.
23. MIDDLE DISTANCE RUNNER – S/T (self-released)
Nice local boys who make pleasing indie rock. And who also make a point of sending me their new releases, sometimes in batches, as if I had some real power to distribute to tastemakers (I know one editor that I actually meet and eat with!). It seemed only right to buy this nicely designed neon-color-line-drawing cardboard sleeve copy, even if I turn out to have some/all of the songs elsewhere.
24. VARIOUS ARTISTS – Mainstream Radio July 05 (Promo Only)
Looks like it originally went out in copies of HITS magazine. 19 tracks that start off badly (Jessica Simpson’s massacre of “These Boots…”) and provides a time capsule of songs from two summers ago, a few of which (Gwen Stefani’s “Cool”) I may listen to again. Basically, a gift for the High School Girl, in case she missed ‘em on the iTunes.
A visit to the Thrift Store:
Looks like someone with a nice collection of well-kept pop standard CDs gave them away (or, gasp, passed on). From a bigger grouping, I pulled these for $1.50 each, thinking they’ll make nice stocking stuffers for the 70+ year-old ladies on my holiday list.
25. BING CROSBY - & Friends (Academy Sound and Vision)
Actually, this one I may keep for myself. Whatever his failings as a dad, Der Bingle Bingle could swing when he wanted to, as heard here on tracks with Johnny Mercer, Connie Boswell, Fred Astaire, Duke Ellington and others. Where else would I get to hear “The Waiter and the Porter and The Upstairs Maid”?
26. PERRY COMO – Forever and Ever (Rajon)
Two-disc compilation and yet, no appearance of the song I know him best for – “See the USA in Your Chevrolet.” But there is “Dig You Later (A Hubba-Hubba-Hubba)”
27. The HAROLD ARLEN SONGBOOK –Various Artists (BMG)
Digitally remastered and released by a major label, more reassuring than the previous two releases, that seem to come from Sketchy Discount Label Land. A sterling roster of older talent, like Rosemary Clooney, Cab Calloway, Lena Horne, and some schlocky stuff, too.

They Came with the Magazine:
I’ve fallen behind listening to the CDs I get with my monthly subscriptions and newsstand purchases, let alone reading all the printed matter! I may have to do a shred-and-purge/recycle on the paper products, but I will keep and enjoy all the following:
28. CIGARETTES and ALCOHOL (Mojo)
“15 tracks celebrating the pleasures of drinking and smoking.” Who could ask for anything more, except perhaps a bottle of Kahlua and a box of Camel Lights?
29. STONED (Mojo)
Songs made famous by the Stones – either original version of tunes they covered or songs that Mick and Keith wrote, reinterpreted by other artists (Nancy Sinatra’s take on “As Tears Go By,” Billy Bragg doing “She Smiled Sweetly”).
30 – 35. PASTE No. 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 samplers
My problem with the magazine is that the print is too tiny for old folks like me who forget to bring our reading glasses into the bathroom. But the CDs are wonderful, like custom-made radio that you can keep and revisit.

By mail order:
36. KEITH URBAN – Love, Pain & the Whole Crazy Thing (Capitol)
My mother came to visit and left behind a People magazine with a cover story about Mr. Kidman, saying that Nicole saved his life. Maybe I’ll listen to this while I read, and imagine how beautiful their children would be.
37. SPRING AWAKENING – Original Broadway Cast (Decca)
Another yourmusic.com selection. College Girl once summed up this show thusly: “If I were still in high school, I would SO be into writing the lyrics all over my notebooks.” With titles like “The B**** of Living” and “Totally F******” you know she’s right. My glory days of attending Broadway musicals are far behind me, but props to Duncan Sheik and Steven Sater for bringing some real life teen sexual angst to the Great White Way.
38. VH-1 STORYTELLERS – Various Artists (Interscope)
Damn. When I noted this in my yourmusic.com queue, I didn’t see tha cover, or I would have known I already have it (I think…it sure looks familiar. Damn, I have too many CDs when I can’t even be sure….)
Anyway, a reminder that I’d better update my listings on the site, or pull the plug on my subscription.
39. HERNDON HIGH SCHOOL CHOIR – Fall Sampler Concert (RonArt Associates)
Hey, I ordered it for $12 at HSG’s performance last month, so of course it counts in the tally! And a copy will make a nice stocking stuffer for grandma.

At the Show:
40. A NIGHT OF PHIDELITY – Various Artists (Phidelity Records)
Purchased at the Marah show last month at Jammin Java. 16 tracks from the label, including the Marah boys, Christine Smith (who recently joined the band) and others.

And lastly, Ye Olde Digital Downlodes:
I have so many files – purchased and sent to me – that haven’t been tallied, but until I get around to it, let’s just pay tribute to the Grandaddy of Them All:
41.RADIOHEAD – In Rainbows (self-released)
I figure $8 is a fair price. That’s what Best Buy charges for a hot new release on its best sale days, and Thom and Co, don’t have to share it with label weasels.

YTD O/CD Tally: 848

No comments: