Saturday, November 18, 2006

'Tis (Almost) The Season!

I've broken out the boxes of holiday tunes, much to my husband's chagrin. He doesn't believe in any Christmas music before we finish the Thanksgiving turkey and, while I can see his point, I have the annual Cool Yule collection to think about, so I'm getting my jingle bell groove on while he's out of town.
First out of the box, literally, is "Sounds of the Season," a Target collection that offers a fine set of choices, like the cuurently playing "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" by Ray Charles (need I say more?). There's nice rendition of "My Favorite Things" by Rod Stewart, but I'm not sure I can use it - he says "snitzel with noodles"! C'mon Rod, that's "schnitzel,' you fool.

Let's clear the decks of recent purchases....No pics, just picks.

Yet Another Visit to the CD Trade-In Store:
Getting lean – a bag full of a few dozen used CDs nets only $39 in credit, so I wind up owing them $11 when I come home with these:
1. ROSEWOOD THIEVES – From the Decker House (V2)
The band I wrote about in the last entry…
2. The RAPTURE – Pieces of the People We Love (Universal/Motown)
Ditto, in the previous entry. Although, now that I check the label, I think it’s rather funny that these ever-so-white downtown hipsters are on Motown. Anyway, this one’s become a big hit in our house. Still giving “Get Myself Into It” a daily spin, and Grace has stolen the CD for her morning wake-up call.
3. DAMON ALBARN and FRIENDS – Mali Music (Astralwerks/EMI Records)
Is this an import version? Made in Holland sticker, soft cover, like a CD tucked into a small paperback book. I haven’t had a chance to give it a good listen, but I’ve heard it in passing while hubby cooks, and he loves it.
4. B*WITCHED – Jump Down: The Mixes (Sony Music)
Three remixes and a video by the Spice Girl wannabe/also-rans. If I get around to it, I’ll have quite the nice little lot for an eBay offering, including some cure friendship bracelets and stickers the record company sent when they were pushing these not-so-bad babes.
5. ELBOW – Not a Job CD single (V2)
Title track plus alternate video of same, and two more tracks.
6. SECRET ANNEX – What Is it About This Place? (Ocelot Records)
It was 50cents and I liked the title, plus a few of the song titles, too – “Cello Love Song,” “The Fatal Glory of Steamboat Racing,” etc. No big risk.
7. SUZZY and MAGGIE ROCHE – Zero Church (Red House Records)
A lovely surprise – those two siblings with the gorgeous harmonies in a pan-denomination set of church songs, sung with guest stars and the ghosts of 9-11 hovering over it all.
8. DIRTY PRETTY THINGS – Waterloo to Anywhere (Interscope)
It was playing when I walked into the store and caught my ear right away.
9. COUNTING CROWS – New Amsterdam: Live at Heineken Music Hall (Geffen)
A gift for the college girl, who’s a faithful fan – and I enjoy them, too.

And once more to Tower Records, where it’s up to 30% off most merchandise.
10. VARIOUS ARTISTS – Ones to Watch, Vol. 03/magazine
15 tracks, “choice cuts of your future favourites” and the only name I recognize is Two Gallants. But magazines are 60% off cover price and this glossy British rag, which I’ve never seen before, has Dirty Pretty Things on the cover (it’s a sign!), so I want to check out both print and audio.
11. PRINCE – Te Amo Corazon (NPG/Universal)
Full sized jewel case for 40cents – and hey, there’s a Prince single here, too.
12. U2 – City of Blinding Lights (Island Records)
The song I know as “oh, you are so beautiful,” in a 2-track import, which I will spring $2.50 on to hear the Killahurtz Fly mix.
13. XTC – Apple Box (Idea Records)
British import, 4-CD set, collected both the Wasp and Apple Venus CDs, plus companion discs of demos and alternate versions. Now that the discount takes it under $25, it’s mine, mine, all mine!
14. BUZZCOCKS/VARIOUS ARTISTS – Ever Fallen in Love with Someone You Shouldn’t’ve (EMI)
Two-track import (also $2.50) with the original hit, plus a new version performed by the likes of Futureheads, Elton John, Pete Shelley and Robert Plant, done as tribute to John Peel, with proceeds donated to Amnesty International.

15. MASSIVE ATTACK – Collected (Virgin)
This month’s yourmusic top-of-queue item. $5.99, shipping included. Great stuff. “Protection” with Tracey Thorn, “Karmacoma” with Tricky and stuff I don’t know – yet.

Sent:
16. KRISTOFFER RAGNSTAM – Do You Want a Piece of Me EP (bluhammock)
17. CUTE IS WHAT WE AIM FOR – The Same Old Blood Rush with a New Touch (Fueled By Ramen)
They opened for Hellogoodbye at Irving Plaza during CMJ, and the publicist asked me to check ‘em out when he heard I was going to the show. I meant well, but got there late, so I asked if he could send a copy. It was waiting for me when I got home. Now that’s what I call service! Grace has asked to hear it, so I know there’s teenage buzz.
18. EL GOODO – S/T (Empyrean Records)

Advances:
19. ERIN McKEOWN – Sing You Sinners (Nettwerk)
Out in January.
20. CLEMENTE - …Whilst Honey Hums (Moodswing)
Coming January 30th.

Pitches:
21. PARTICLE – Transformations Live: For the People CD and DVD (Shout! Factory)
They appeared at the State Theatre recently, and the publicist sent the collected works in hopes of a preview (but my editor chose a different show). Will I ever watch over 2 hours of video, even with special guests (Blackalicious, Robby Kreiger, Joe Satriani, DJ Logic)? Answer would have been no, but I put the CD on and it was noodle-dancing music in a nice way.

Duplicates:
22. GOB IRON – Death Songs for the Living (Transmit Sound/Legacy)
Full release copy, with enhancements, of an advance I got earlier.
23. MEAT LOAF – Bat Out of Hell III: The Monster is Loose (Virgin)
Same as above. Speaking of Mr. Loaf (I love when the New York Times calls him that), his record company sent a transcript of a tele-conference the Meat held recently, and it's a great document of inane conversation, opening like this:
"And our first question comes from Brad Topel from About.com.
FRED TOPEL: Hi, it’s actually Fred, but that’s okay.
MEATLOAF: Fred? Hi Fred.
FRED TOPEL: But my question is how hard is it to find other writers who can write songs for you like Simon did?"
Simon, who is referenced throughout the dozens of pages, has to be, by reason of deduction, Jim Steinman, co-creator of the whole "Bat Out Of Hell" phenomenon. Why didn't anyone correct this before sending out the transcript?!
Rock journalism is not brain surgery. Thank god. We'd have a lot (more) zombies out there.

YTD Total: 686

No comments: