Monday, November 06, 2006

B-4 CPF went 2 NYC 4 CMJ

The CMJ wrap-up will come next - hopefully, after we celebrate good news on the election (or is it really an intervention?) front.
DON'T FORGET TO VOTE!!
(unless you're Republican; then, feel free to take the day off)

But here's where we were before I split for the Big Apple...

Getting Out and About:
1.The MILES – The Story of Yourself (self-released)
2.The MILES – Making of The Story of Yourself (DVD)
The odd ways in which bands get discovered: I went to Jammin’ Java to see a band named Husky Rescue, which I had previewed for the Post. When I arrived, the opening act was onstage and I liked what I heard, so I signed the band’s mailing list, sitting on a speaker in front of the stage. But then, the band onstage introduced itself and it was NOT the one I signed to receive info about. And I had written in the “notes” section: “Liked your set. I write about music. Get in touch.”
Well, the next week, I get a sweet note from this band I knew nothing about and I had to admit the mistake. But the guy kept in touch, kept me informed about other gigs, and so I felt almost obliged to attend the band’s CD release party.
Happy ending: I liked them! A nice muscular but melodic sound, with hints of U2 anthemic rock and some neat Radiohead-style sonic noodling. Lead singer guy is as cute as his emails were gracious and I intend to keep track of what they do next.

Also on the bill this night:
Chris Trapper, former leader of the PushStars and a straight shooter of the singer/songwriter school, popular in my household for the Irish wake sing-along, “Keg on My Coffin.”

and the opener:
3. JANN KLOSE – Black Box EP
In a brief echo of the Miles’ story, I caught only the last two songs of Klose’s set and, while they didn’t make a strong impression, I snapped off a few shots and send them to his publicist, who had mentioned his appearance previously. She forwards the shots to him and I get an appreciative note asking if he can post two on his site and would I like a copy of the CD. Sure, and now I feel it’s the good karma thing to catch his show in its entirety next time he comes around.


Another Day, Another Show:
4. The ROOSEVELT, DELETED SCENES, GARY B and the NOTIONS - sampler
This freebie was handed out as we left the Regina Spektor show at the 930 Club – a clear baggie with a prescription pad page listing the bands as if they were medicines to take at prescribed times, promoting a show later that week at a newish club, The Red and The Black.

And Yet Another:
5. YOUNG LOVE - YL (Island)
Two-song sampler from the cute boys who opened for Good Charlotte and the Pink Spiders last month at the 930 Club, given out at the club, along with my new collection passion – 1” pinbacks. Leader Dan Keyes is tall, thin and good-looking in a mop-topped Brit-rock kind of way, and there seems to be a push on to get him the heartthrob vote. Be careful Island- it seems like a nice hook now, but the music I heard sounds better than that which you sell at a discounted cred rate to the TRL crowd.

6. YOUNG LOVE – Too Young to Fight It (Island)
In the weeks before the concert, the publicist reached out to promote YL’s set and I asked if she could send music. I get an overnight delivery (so I know they weren’t skipping on cost) and inside is unlabeled CD, not even in a cardboard or paper sleeve.
7. VARIOUS ARTISTS – State of the Union: DC Benefit Compilation (Dischord)
Good Charlotte may be MTV stars now, but they haven’t forgotten where they came from. They gave over the merch booth to the socially conscious local charity Positive Force, and let the organization’s main man give a little speech before their set. This sampler was among the get smarter swag being given away at the booth.
And, BTW, the Madden boys are looking mighty buff these days. Benji has a stance that even recalls Springsteen at his ripped peak...


Yeah, I Paid Cash Money for Some Stuff, Too
8. VARIOUS ARTISTS – Soul Legends (Motown)
When Mom visits, she likes to check into a local discount chain called Tuesday Morning. I go along and drift through the aisles, and usually wind up with some weird licensed merchandise toy at an absurdly low price. There’s not much in the musical coll
9. VARIOUS ARTISTS – Best of 60s British Beat
Another visit with mom to a discount store, another find (I thought), but Caveat Emptor, music fans. Be sure to read the fine print, which I didn’t do carefully enough. “Big beat stars from pop’s brightest decade interpret their hits as only they know how…great versions of memorable songs…” As in, not the original versions. So I’ve got lame, recent reworkings of “Yeh, Yeh” by Georgie Fame,“Bad to Me” by Billy J. Kramer, “Hello Little Girl” by Foremost and other pale imitations.
10. VARIOUS ARTISTS – Take It Easy: 15 Soft Rock Anthems (Q magazine)
11. VARIOUS ARTISTS – Paste # 26
12. CYNDI LAUPER – The Body Acoustic (Epic/Daylight)
This month’s $5.99 order from yourmusic.com. Lauper revisits some of her greatest hits in sometimes striking new arrangements. Not all of them work, but it’s nice to hear her stretching out – while making a living.

At the CD trade-in store:
13. VARIOUS ARTISTS – Joni Mitchell Artist’s Choice (Hear Music/Rhino)
As you’d expect, Mitchell’s selection is eclectic and jazz-tinged (two Duke Ellington, Miles Davis) with some classical stuff and classic singer/songwriters (Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen). A few surprises – she includes one of her own songs (“Harlem in Havana”), highlights two tracks from Deep Forest (instead of spreading the love to another obscure band) and ends with a one-hit wonder, New Radicals’ “You Get What You Give.”
14. RHETT MILLER – World CafĂ© Live (DVD)
'Round my house, we call him Skinny boy Rhett” 'cause he looks so lean and cute in his slim black jeans. And he's a great songwriter, too.
15. ELVIS COSTELLO – It’s Time (Warner Bros.)
Three track single with a cover of Springsteen’s “Brilliant Disguise” done as twangy country blues.

Oh, No, Tower Records, Don’t Go:
Music geeks are in despair but we also know a bargain when we hear about one, so the next few weeks will be an ongoing pilgrimage to the beloved retail store, tracking the drop in prices (20% off everything now, due to drop as the weeks go) and calculating how few XTC box sets are on the shelves before we commit. At this first visit, I got:
16. VARIOUS ARTISTS – The Remix FM2 (Virgin EMI)
Two CDs with an odd collection of tunes. $7.50
17. DIANA KRALL – Temptation (Verve)
The tan stickers mean 25% off, which leads to these two tracks costing less than the price of a jewel box. True music geek confession – I think I already have the album, but I have to adopt these orphans (besides, she’s married to Elvis Costello!)
18. PHOENIX – Everything is Everything (Virgin)
Four tracks for under $2 – the catchy title track in audio and video versions, a live take of “Run Run Run” and a medley of early demos, which shows that many of the band’s catchy tunes hold up as songs and don’t need the playful studio production.
19. BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN – Devils & Dust (Columbia)
Another 20-center. Just the single song in a cardboard cover.
20. VARIOUS ARTISTS – I Want My ‘80s! sampler (Universal Music)
Free with purchase. Grand, cheesy anthems.

Pitches:
21. MATTHEW RYAN – From a Late Night High Rise (00:02:59)
Coming to the IOTA on November 6th. The album comes out December 5th.
22. BARENAKED LADIES – Are Me (Desperation Records)
Nothing as directly humorous as on previous CDs (though “Bank Job” takes on an unusual subject for a pop song – a botched heist), but BNL have a way with a melody and a hook. Played the Patriot Center on November 4th.
23. MIKE DOUGHTY – Haughty Melodic (ATO Records)
He opened for BNL on November 4th, which adds to the odds that it was a fine show. The former leader of Soul Coughing sounds much like you imagine it would – not that there’s anything wrong with that. Much as I love the ubiquitous java joint, how could I not also love a song entitled “Busting Up a Starbucks”?

Palpable Hits:
24. The DECEMBERISTS – The Crane Wife (Capitol)
I read one comparison to Jethro Tull and endless repetitions of the term "Prog-folk," but to me it's just more great Decemberists. “The Perfect Crime” has the galloping beat of Talking Heads in their “Life During Wartime” prime.

25. NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS
Double CD with the original soundtrack, a disc of new recordings by the likes of Panic! at the Disco and Fiona Apple, and some of Danny Elfman's demos. All great, 'cept for the She Wants Revenge version of "Kidnap the Sandy Claws," which trades all the charm for a gothy, Human Leaguey rendition.
26. MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE – The Black Parade (Reprise)
When the band preformed the title track on SNL, I knew I had to get the CD right away, just so I could hear it again. Not because I was sure I liked it; more because it was so outrageous, I needed to know if I could believe me ears. It has lived up to the cost and then some.

Fine First Impressions:
27. The BALDWIN BROTHERS – The Return of the Golden Rhodes (TVT)
Why do I keep thinking they should be on Astralwerks? This band has that uber-hip dance feel that the label specializes in, and TVT is known for much raw-er stuff.
28. PAUL MICHEL – Quiet State of Panic
When was he in Army of Me?
29. The KOOKS – Inside In/Inside Out (Astralwerks)
Strokes style, but more fun.
30. CHRISTINE FELLOWS – Paper Anniversary (Six Shooter Records)
Soft-voiced woman with intriguing musical vignettes, reminiscent of other favorites like Jane Siberry.
31. SONNY ROLLINS – Sonny, Please (Doxy)
32. WHITEY – The Light at the End of the Tunnel is a Train (Dim Mak)
33. SIERRA LEONE’S REFUGEE ALL-STARS - Living Like a Refugee (Anti-Records)
34. MICHAEL FRANTI – Yell Fire! (Anti- Records)
He’s pissed, and I share his outrage. Luckily, he also couches the anger in varied, skillful tunes.
BTW...
and did I mention? DON'T FORGET TO VOTE!!

Jury’s Still Out:
35. KT TUNSTALL – Acoustic Extravaganza (Relentless/Virgin)
An audio CD and a DVD at a single disc price; still, aren't they just cashing in?
36. K-OS – Atlantis:Hymns for Disco (Virgin)
37. AIRPUSHERS – Themes for the Ordinary Strange (Sarathan)
Swag, of sorts: an Airpushers air freshener that you can hang in the car, or a funky closet.
38. The STRAYS – Le Futur Noir (TVT Records)
About to hit the road with The Cult.
39. VERUCA SALT – IV (Sympathy for the Record Industry Records)
Missed the Jaxx show last month.
40. VIVA VOCE – Get Yr Blood Sucked Out (Barsuk Records)
41. RACHEL JACOBS – Friend Overseas
Nice pairing of a 7” vinyl EP and a CD – the same music in two versions.
42. SASHA DOBSON – Modern Romance
“Plangent, almost vibrato-free voice” says the sheet, but the title track is a cover of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.
43. PAPER CRANES – Vidalia (Mother May I Records)
44. The BLUE VAN – Dear Independence (TVT Records)
45. CARL TANNER – Hear the Angle Voices (Timeless)
Big voice/operatic Christmas songs, heavy on the religious carols.
46. The LOW FREQUENCY IN STEREO – The Last Temptation of…(Gigantic)
Uh-oh. I listened once in the car and kinda liked it, so I wanted to go back and hear it again. But, when I opened the digipack, the CD was cracked right through. I fear it was trod upon by the school carpool.
47. BREAKS CO-OP – The Sound Inside (Astralwerks)
48. GOB IRON – Death Songs for the Living (Transmit Sound/Legacy)
Jay Farrar and Anders Parker
49. AS TALL AS LIONS – S/T (Triple Crown/East West)
Says here it's “British influenced contemporary indie rock” and makes comparisons to Sunny Day Real Estate meets Elbow, or Doves meet the Police. Sorry, but I don't hear it.
50. DANGEROUS MUSE – Give Me Danger EP (Cordless Recordings)
Second EP from the Electro-clash band.

Direct from the band:
51. ENVIE – S/T (self-released)

I’m Just Not That Into You:
52. POLLY PANIC – Painkiller (Greyday Records)
Pitched as a PJ Harvey, Siouxie Sioux style artsy tough mama, and I always love the sound of the cello, but this is just a bit too harsh for me. I do like the back cover – a photo of two prescription bottles, with the song titles listed on the labels.
53. ESTEBAN – Best of Esteban (Dreambox Records)
16th studio album from a new age worker on the direct-sales-through-TV beat. Skillful but noncompelling versions of “Fernando” “Here Comes the Sun,” “Runaway” and some Latin-tinged originals.
54. BADLY DRAWN BOY – Born in the U.K. (Astralwerks)
There are times when, much as you like an artist, his (of her) album makes you yawn or, in the case of some of the lyrics here, wince. The press kit says this album came out after tortured fits and starts. It doesn’t sound belabored, it just sounds limp.
55. BRIAN SETZER – Lucky 13 (Surfdog Records)
56. The CARS – Unlocked (Documrama DVD)
Why would I want to watch a DVD of the Cars in concert? When I saw them at Madison Square Garden at the height of their popularity, they were one of the most boring live shows I'd ever seen.
57. LISA PALLESCHI – Released (Lightyear Entertainment)
Here are the kind of lyrics you can play “what’s the rhyme?” with – she starts a couplet with “Maybe I’m a fool for trying” and you know it’s heading for something like “I don’t see the point in lying.” You can play, too:
“After what you put me though/After what you made me…do!” Generic female ballad pop, with strings. The cover of the Cure’s “Just Like Heaven” stands out, but only as simple relief that it’s not more of the same.


Kids Stuff:
58. DAVID GROVER – Passin’ It On (KOCH)
subtitled “Pickin’ & Grinnin’ & Singin’ Them Old Time Tunes: American Folk Music from Our Living Room to Yours”
59. DAVID GROVER - There’s a Light in You (KOCH)
A David Grover sampler
60. DAVID GROVER & the BIG BEAR BAND - As Different as We Are (We’re All the Same) (KOCH)
(Koch Records)
61. MEREDITH VIERA - TUBBY The TUBA (Koch)
The new co-host of the Today show narrates a kids classic. Can there be a picture book far behind?

It’s Mostly a Waste of Time to Send Me Country Music…
62. MARK CHESNUTT – Heard It In a Love Song
63. TOM WURTH
I wanted to count how many variations on “Wurth hearing” were inl his press kit, but I got tired.
64. HEARTLAND – I Loved Her First (Lofton Creek Records)
wedding song of the year?

…But Then Again, There’s Stuff I Like:
65. CHRIS SMITHER – Leave the Light On (Signature Sounds)
I first heard “Origin of [the] Species” on NPR and liked the wry take on evolution. The rest of the album is more straightforward Steve Earle-edged country blues rock, and much of it is quite catchy.

YTD: 662

No comments: