Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Now Powered by Widgets!

I'm trying to expand my abilities here to post pictures, and have dived (diven? dove?) into the world of mac.com, with its idiot-proof (we'll see) templates for quickly posting shots from my picture gallery. So, if you want to see shots of Steve Wynn and the Miracle 3 at Jammin Java last weekend, try this.

As for the latest music...

Monday, February 27:
1. WRECKLESS ERIC – Bungalow Hi (Southern Domestic)
Eric is going to be included in this week's Post preview, on the bill with Amy Rigby and Marti Jones, who are bringing their "Cynical Girls" tour to the Birchmere on Sunday, March 5th. I wrote to the eddress on Eric's web site, expecting some lackey to write back, but the Wreckless One himself answered my note and offered to send his latest CD, and a copy of his memoir/manual, "A Dysfunctional Success." I replied that I would love if he signed the book, so I could add it to my Author's Shelf, with other signed books by the likes of Hunter S. Thompson, Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. and others. Today, his package arrived, and the book was inscribed to me, "hope this goes on the shelf alright, good luck!"
I love my work.

Saturday, February 25:
2. The WOOD BROTHERS - Ways Not to Lose (Blue Note)
Official version, and duplicate of a copy (generic advance) that I got last year, when the PR contact was pitching a Jammin Java show that took place earlier this month.

Friday, February 24:
3. BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN & The E STREET BAND - Hammersmith Odeon, London '75 (Columbia)
Whoa! I didn't even know this was in the planning stage. I haven't had the chance to sit down and enjoy the DVD of this legendary show which came in the deluxe Born to Run reissue, but it was easy-peasy (as Jamie Oliver would say) to pop the audio version in and be transported back in time to relive my fantasy affair with the scruffy, wool-hatted Bruce that broke (and mended) my heart many times over during that era. I wish I was taking a long car trip soon, so I could put this double-disc set on and Drive All Night.
4.The PLAYWRIGHTS - English Self Storage (Sink & Stove Records)
Give it up for YARRR! PR.
Out April 18th.

And lost days previous:
5. GARRISON STARR - The Sound of You and Me (Vanguard)
Second copy (generic advance sent last year).
Out March 13th.
6. ROB REYNOLDS – Sightseeing (Invisible Hands Music)
Here’s the full, official release of a disc I had picked up as a cardboard freebie at the CD Cellar. That one was clearly marked as a freebie that you were encouraged to take, copy and give away, and also to track on its website. Kinda like the Where’s George? (dollar bill tracking system) of music. Now the music is in a full jewel case, and you’re supposed to pay for it, and there’s nothing in the notes about passing it around for free.
7. LAUREN K NEWMAN - Postulate 1 (Greyday)
More YARRR!
They Say: "a Bonham-reincarnated musician who writes and records all of her own parts and rocks hard."
I say: it's always cool when women rock.
Out April 11th.
8. CINEMECHANICA – The Martial Arts (Hello Sir Records)
They (Team Clermont) Say: “A hailstorm of insane drumming and slashing guitar riffs,” compared to Drive Like Jehu and Q and Not U.
On tour constantly, it says in the liner notes.
Out May 23rd.

By Request:
9. SPARKS – Hello Young Lovers (In the Red)
As mentioned previously, I heard “Metaphor’ on a compilation and was intrigued, that song being silly/catchy and having fond memories of hearing these guys back in the college dorms (and that was 25 years ago!)
10. NICOLAI DUNGER – Here’s My Song, You Can Have It….I Don’t Want it Anymore/Yours 4-ever (Zoe Records)
The title isn’t quite up there in the Fiona Apple “When the Pawn…” realm, but it’s a tad precious, no? Still, this one gave me an afternoon’s enjoyment since the guy has a varied style and a genial manner. Could fill the gap until the next Sondre Lerche CD comes out.
Out March 14th.

Purchased:
11. VARIOUS ARTISTS – Sweetheart
One of those Starbucks collections I only buy when they’re on sale and, at $7.99, this is one I’d even consider a good deal at regular price. Rufus Wainwright’s take on “My Funny Valentine,” the Old 97’s giving a sweet ride of the Kinks’ “She’s Got Everything,”
12. PATSY CLINE - I Can't Forget (BCI/Navarre Corporation)
2 discs - one an audio collection with hits like "Walkin' After Midnight" and "Three Cigarettes in an Ashtray" and plenty more I don't know, 'cause I'm still learning. And maybe I have some/most/all of these songs on the older greatest hits disc buried in the back room, but this came with a DVD, too. For 84 cents at Target.
13. K.D. LANG and the RECLINES – Absolute Torch and Twang (Sire)
How appropriate that I should find Patsy and k.d. in the same week. I used to have a thing (non-sexual, at least for the most part) for k.d. (okay, I’ll drop to lowercase) but I wasn’t thrilled by the last few CDs. This is one of great early CDs, and it was just $1.50 at ye olde thrift shoppe.
14. U2 – Communication (Island)
Count this one as a purchase, since it was part of the renewal gift for the U2 fan club. The club is a good deal for one key reason – you get priority treatment when the band tours and can buy tix in a presale that doesn’t quite guarantee, but is better than any scalper service. This two-disc set includes eight live tracks and a CD-rom with screensavers, wall paper and a live clip of “Vertigo.”

earlier in Februrary:
15. MARIAH CAREY - The Emancipation of Mimi (Island)
Purchased at Target ($10 with a bonus disc for one extra song) as a Valentine's gift for Grace. Mariah really used to set my teeth on edge (when I was doing promo stuff for Columbia Records, and they were about to release her first greatest collection, I suggested "Fuck You, Tommy" as the title). And she still spends too much time showing off her bod (it's getting more zophtic, eh?) and hammering some of the poor notes into submission. Still, I'll admit to adding "All I Want for Christmas is You" to the 2005 Cool Yule, and there are some catchy tunes on this CD. And I bought Madonna's latest, too, so I must be getting soft.

YTD Total: 108

No comments: