Thursday, February 16, 2006

Me and Mr. Ray

"Mort Shuman took me under his wing. He said 'You've got to do something for me. You've got to leave this house, leave your wife, take drugs, change your whole life. You've got to get away from this- it's ruining you. I want you to be a writer."
Ray Davies (according to a press release about his upcoming appearance on Little Steven's Underground Garage this weekend)

I’m happily married and have no intention of running off to take drugs, so there goes that career…

Thursday, Feb. 16
Two new previews in the Washington Post:
Rachel Sage, Steve Wynn (two separate shows) @ Jammin Java
And
Spinout Records package tour at the IOTA
Two new CDs in the mail:
1. TOM RUSSELL – Love and Fear
CD out March 21st.
Sent in conjunction with his upcoming show at Jammin Java.
2. DEREK TRUCKS BAND – Songlines
Official release of a CD that came in weeks ago as a generic advance.

Wednesday. Feb. 15
3. XRAYOK – Like Life (self-released)
They Say: “a lush blend of dark New Wave, Rock and Electro…in the league of Mogwai, Elbow, Slowdive.
I Say: them’s mighty big footprints to fill, but I liked these 6 tracks on the first late-night listen.
Out April 4
4. GUS BLACK – Autumn Days (Cheap Lullaby)
CD covers that are printed to look like vinyl album covers, complete with ring wear, are getting to be a bit of a clich̩ Рbut they still look damn cool and this one carries the effect over to the back cover of the digipack (but enough already with CDs printed to look like records!)
According to the press sheet, Black was held up at gunpoint at the Radio Shack when he was buying a headphone extension cord. Actually, this is Black’s fourth release (he did two albums under the name of simply Gus) – a reminder that it sometimes takes forever to get noticed.

Tuesday, Feb. 14
5. UNCUT magazine with free CD – New Music for 2006
I have a few of these already (Jenny Lewis, Neko Case, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah), but that makes for little islands of familiarity in the car ride preview. The new Belle & Sebastian track reminds me I need to download the whole CD from emusic and damn if the inane Sparks song, “Metaphor” (“girls dig metaphors”) doesn’t stick like pre-chewed gum. I can do without Plan B (I’m just not the hip-hop type) and Kris Kristofferson’s offering (“This Old Road”), but I’m sure I’ll make some new friends elsewhere in these 15 songs.
6. JACK JOHNSON and FRIENDS– Sing-A-Longs and Lullabies for the film Curious George (Brushfire Records)
What a happy surprise to get this unsolicited CD! Johnson’s style is just so good-natured and catchy. Grace jumped on it right away, and we were happily groovin’ while we finished our pre-dinner work.

Other recent deliveries:
7. 13 GHOSTS – Cicada (Skybucket Records)
21 tracks that totally intrigue on first listen. I put the CD on while doing other work and kept getting pulled back to ask, ‘what’s that? That’s cool.’ Looking forward to the next spin.
Out March 4.
8. MARIA TAYLOR – 11:11 (Saddle Creek)
Second copy of a CD I got last year, sent because Taylor is coming to town next March (25th, at the State Theatre).
9. DESOLE – A Story to Tell (Abacus Recordings)
Said to mix indie rock, pop and post-hardcore, this sextet from Phoenix, AZ is not to be confused to deSol, the bilingual (Spanish/English) band from New Jersey, previously profiled for the Post.
Out March 7th.
10. The HOPEFULS – The Fuses Refuse to Burn (2024 Records)
Formerly known as the Olympic Hopefuls (we can all guess why they couldn’t keep that name), these Minneapolis guys appear onstage in matching tracksuits, and have won, not athletic awards, but numerous music honors in their hometown.
They Say: “combines a bit of Weezer guitar grit with the playful, carefree anthems of bands like The Cars and The Apples in Stereo.”
I Say: Yeah, no argument with that – except that I would never call the Cars' meticulously produced pop "carefree." The Hopefuls, however, have a casual, bright bounce.
11. STEVE WYNN & The MIRACLE 3 - …tick…tick…tick (Down There/Red Eye)
Today’s Washington Post preview for tomorrow night’s show, along with Rachel Sage, who appears at the same venue tonight.
12. JEROME DILLON – nearLY :reminder (KUFALA Recordings/La Cosa Nostra)
Dillon served as drummer and occasional guitarist with Nine Inch Nails for six years and four albums, and now serves himself as writer, producer and arranger while playing drums dobro, guitars, stand-up bass, ukulele, melotron, piano, and violin. His guests include Afghan Whigs/Twilight Singers' Greg Dulli and Decemberists violinist Petra Haden.
They Say: "reminiscent of artists such as Pink Floyd, The Cure, and Dead Can Dance…Baroque strings and acoustic instrumentation with aggressive, bombastic drums and bass.”
Song Title I Like: “One Day I Was Gone”
Out April 11, 2006.
13. KT TUNSTALL - Eye To The Telescope (Relentless/Virgin)
Half Scottish, one quarter Irish, one quarter Cantonese, Tunstall has gone from playing small pubs in her Scotland to a Mercury Prize nomination and double-platinum British sales. Produced by Steve Osborne (U2, The Cure, New Order, Doves), compared to Fleetwood Mac and Rickie Lee Jones, Tunstall’s debut sold over one million copies in the UK (that’s four times platinum there) making her the best selling female artist in the UK last year. And unlike Brandi Carlisle, whose debut came with similar Next Big Girl Thing press. This one intigues me.
14. UNTIED STATES – Retail Detail (self-released)
That’s Un-tied, as in shoelaces, not United, as in our country ‘tis of thee. Atlanta art-rock experimentalists said to recalls Swans, Jesus Lizard, and Brainiac, among others. Which doesn’t rock my socks.
They say: “their first conscious attempt to ameliorate their subconscious with a very real portrayal of their immediate existences.”
I say: what the hell does that mean?
The PR people have posted two tracks online, so you can hear for yourself (the second one really grates on me…):
http://www.untiedstates.us/music/It_s_Not_Goodbye.mp3
http://www.untiedstates.us/music/You_Own_Your_Own.mp3
Out May 2.

Emusic purchases:
15. The WRENS
When I realized I was going to London next month, I started looking for musical possiblilities of shows to see while I was there. I got tix to see The Go! Team at a cool place called Koko, and the Wrens will be playing at a London college while I’m there as well. So, I’m checking ‘em out.
16. ISAAC HAYES
When I saw that the Black Moses was available for cheap download, I was ready to go. I have “Shaft” already (but of course!) but I wanted a few of the other greatest hits – “Walk On By,” “By the Time I Get to Phoenix,” “Never Can Say Goodbye.”
17. EDDIE ANGEL, KAISERS, et al
Today’s other Post preview – the Spinout Records showcase at the IOTA next Monday. Angel himself does publicity for the little indie label, but he didn’t get any CDs out to me in time, so I made my own 20 track sampler from tracks on emusic. Sadly, Sir Bald Diddley and His Wig-Outs aren’t in the show, but I did get to hear “2000 lb. Werewolf.”

YTD: 93

P.S. Whoa! Snowboard cross!

No comments: