Sunday, December 11, 2005

Bumbles Bounce! and other happy thoughts

Here at the CPF holiday workshop (turn left at Whoville, but don't go so far west as the Island of Misfit Toys), it wouldn't be the holiday season without a viewing of "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer," preferably performed simultaneously in front of the screen, Rocky Horror syle, with the complete set of stuffed toys from CVS drug stores. "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" and "Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol" (don't snicker; it's got Broadway-quality songs) are also on the Must-See list, with Charlie Brown and Alistair Sim's version of "A Christmas Carol" always welcome, too.

The recent past has been a great one for new music - and I say that as a consumer who pays cash money as well as a lucky duck who gets nice freebies in the mail. Monday's mail offered a nice pile of a half-dozen puffy envelopes, plus my official ballot for the Village Voice Jazz and Pop poll, which makes me feel like a real tastemaker.

So, to recap:
Friday, December 9:
1. CYPRESS HILL - Greatest Hits from the Bong (Columbia)
Ordinarily, I would put this away in the reference library as I do with most greatest hits collections from bands I haven't really followed, but I doubt I'll hang on to it. Call me an old fart, or blame it on the generally genial holiday vibe, but I just don't have much room in my psyche these days for the likes of "How I Could Just Kill a Man."
2. WHAT I LIKE ABOUT JEW - sampler from the forthcoming "Unorthodox" (self-released)
Rob Tannenbaum (rock writer/editor) and Sean Altman's ultra-ethnic project, coming to the Birchmere just after Christmas, and being pitched for a Live! preview. Favorite song, just by its title: "They Tried to Kill Us (We Survived, Let's Eat)." Could be just the way to come down from the holidays, and to do my part for the Secular Progressives' Plot to Kill Christmas.

Thursday, December 8:
3. MARAH - presents A Christmas Kind of Town (Yep Roc)
I'm not gonna get all Nick Hornby on you, but this band really does deserve more attention. Saw them play some weeks ago at Jammin Java and they rocked the house in a loosey-gooesy, booze and blues-fueled way (probably the first time at that former Christian youth spot, current folky listening room that someone smoked - and put their cigarette out - on the genteel stage). Requested from the publicist (thanks, Angie!) and, on initial listenings, a new holiday favorite. The album plays out like a radio broadcast, with a cast of varying voices, little skits and a sloppy, let's-make-our-own-show vibe. Contagiously good. Destined to be on this year's Cool Yule compilation: "New York is a Christmas Kind of Town."
4. PHISH - New Year's Eve 1995 - Live at Madison Square Garden (Rhino/Jemp)
This show was named one of Rolling Stone magazine's "17 Greatest Concerts of the '90s" which strikes me as ironic since I was offered the assignment way back when to review that show, but begged off, saying I wasn't all that familiar with/fond of the band. The editor who mentioned the assignment agreed, adding an insult about how boring he thought Phish were. But someone from the magazine must have been there and had a faboo time.
This 3-disc set will mark the beginning of a deal with Rhino to release a whole bunch of Phish concerts. There was another such series awhile back - I bought a 3-disc live set which included a performance of Taking Heads' "Remain in Light" in its entirety. After listening to the whole thing, I burned a copy of that encore disc (labeled it "Phish Heads" of course) and sold off the set. It's just so much noodling to me.

Monday, December 5:
5. The JULIANA THEORY - Deadbeat Sweetheartbeat (Abacus Recordings)
A second copy (in cardboard cover), probably a reminder for these days of compiling year-end Best Ofs.
6. DOWNTOWN SINGAPORE - Don't Let Your Guard Down (DCide Records)
Another duplicate from the same publicist. The local buzz for these Maryland boys is on, as they've played with All-American Rejects, hellogoodbye and others and have a rep for a great live act. Out February 21.

A trio of packages from the nice boys of Team Clermont. (Captain Planet would be sad to see three packages from the same return address, but it just means more bubble wrap for me to pop!)
7. MEREDITH BRAGG and the TERMINALS - The Departures EP (The Kora Records)
Another local hero, with a gentle, Elliot Smith-type vibe, in another beautifully designed package - a letterpress cardboard envelope. Out January 17th.
8. (The SOUNDS of) KALEIDOSCOPE (Hackshop Records)
9. STONE JACK JONES - Bluefolk (Ficticious Records)
A coal mine town childhood and a musical apprenticeship under Patty Griffin - bodes well.
10. The BOGGS - 4 track sampler
Paper label CD-R "from the forthcoming LP" (as in long-player, not vinyl, I presume) called Forts. Played it in the car a few times and find it to be an energizing ride. In my book, you hardly ever go wrong sounding like the Clash, and adding in a bit of streetwise chant, kinda like The Go! Team, adds to the punch.
11. The BRIAN SETZER ORCHESTRA - Dig That Crazy Christmas (Surf Dog)
By request (thanks, Shore Fire!), and destined to make an appearance on the annual Cool Yule compilation. One minor note: the cartoon version of Brian on the cover is way too young...let's be realistic, folks. Setzer is very talented and certainly has the stamina of a young guy on stage, but he ain't no spring chicken.

Last week was an exciting one for reissues.
12. PATTI SMITH - Horses (Colulumbia Legacy)
Not to sound too jaded, but most of the unsolicited press packages I get are from un- or barely-known acts looking to get some initial response. They're fun to get, but don't make me go "Oh boy!" when I open the package. But this...ah, this was like getting an early Christmas gift (even if I was hoping that the Columbia packaging meant I was getting a copy of the new, deluxe Born to Run reissue). This beautiful reissue of Smith's classic/seminal/your-gushing-adjective-here debut is a classy design and offers a bonus live disc of the entire album performed earlier this year in England. The studio album still has its nearly-unhinged power, and what I've heard of the live CD so far shows that Patti's lost none of her punch and just maybe has gotten even better as she's matured from hotheaded punk girl to world-wise punk mom.
13. TALKING HEADS - Brick (Rhino)
Yes, I have all the previous Heads albums, including the two-disc greatest hits and last year's box set, so my first reaction to the release of this set of eight catalog studio albums was 'why do I need it?' Terry was against the purchase and, as I tracked it on ebay and amazon, trying to get one for less than $100, I was starting to agree with him. Then mom handed me $50 and said 'buy yourself something nice for Christmas and Borders sent me a 30% off coupon, and I couldn't resist (also calculating the fact that I can trade in most of the older CDs - but not the vinyl!) And lo, we've been thoroughly enjoying the adventure of exploring the added tracks and primitive early performance videos, and just holding the tactile object d'art. So yeah, it's a good thing.
14. JUST SAY SIRE: The Sire Records Story (Sire/Rhino)
While hunting for above Brick I was on amazon.com and found this 3-CD, 1 DVD set at a great price ($30) so I snatched it up. This was my Happy Time in NYC, and this was my happy soundtrack. The stuff I know (Heads, Yaz, Tin Tin, Aztec Camera) is stuff I love, some of which I previously had only on vinyl, and what I don't know is of a school I was proud to attend. There was a time when Sire was like Motown; it almost didn't matter if you didn't recognize tha artist's name 'cause the yin/yang label promised fun. And the DVD is a hoot - every bit as a cheesy as those VH1 specials hint at, but here you get to see the whole awkward growth in full-length. One video that deserves to be in a future time capsule - The Replacements's "Bastards of Young," in which you watch a speaker throb with only a glimpse of the kid listening, and then the record skips (yes, the sound of the video does, too) and he kicks it. Awesome!

A few other recent acquistions:
15. MARJORIE FARM - Self Help Serenade (Capitol)
A few weeks ago, I was in My Happy Place, wandering the aisles at Tower Records and checking out the import clearance racks when I heard an intriguing sound on the in-store system. It was a bit indie rock, a bit British folk, even a touch of the new prog rock. As I checked out with my goodies, I asked the cashier what had been playing and he showed me this CD. Did I buy it then and there? No, but I asked politely in a subsequent email to a friendly contact at the label and they sent it along. It may not make it to this year's Top Ten, but I have a feeling I'll be playing it well into 2006.
16. DRAMARAMA - Everybody Dies (33rd Street/Bayside Records)
In a plot twist not dissimilar to that which revived INXS, Dramarama, which had fallen apart after some fine but overlooked albums in the early alt-rock era, came back together for a VH1 Bands Reunited show, and got a new lease on life. Alas, there's even a touch of tragedy to their story, too - the new CD is a tribute to a dear and recently departed friend. The band may be best-known - and justifiably so - for a terrific song called "Anything, Anything (I'll Give You)" and had some other fine material, like "Last Cigarette." Even before hearing this CD, I'm won over by the Tim Burton-esque smiley face skeleton which appears not just on the cover but on an booklet collage parodying classic album covers (T. Rex, Some Girls, Yesterday and Today, Kinks).

I planned on blowing off a whole bag of left-overs, too, but I have an editing assignment to polish off, and that's paying some bills, so maybe tomorrow....

YTD total:857

No comments: