Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Another Round for the Holidays

Look what Santa brought us:
1.WILCO – Kicking Television (Nonesuch)
Terry was hesitant. He’s a big fan of the band, but not of live albums. Still, he put on this two-CD set which I gave him for Christmas and was quickly into his “I love this band!” reverie. A shame, in a way, that it came out so close to the end of the year. It coulda been a contender for the year’s best, but I haven’t had enough time to live with it.
2. Various Artists – Holiday Audio Collection (Harper Audio)
Gift from a neighbor. Includes “A Christmas Carol” read by Sir Ralph Richardson, “The Gift of the Magi” performed by Julie Harris and an Ogden Nash story read by the author.
3. VA – Happy Holidays from the Vickers Family (no label)
My old TV producer sends out a double CD set every year, filled with great music he’s loved over the course of year. Not all new stuff, but a mix that runs a gamut from sensitive female singers (Aimee Mann, Lucinda Williams),and fun old stuff (Cheap Trick, the Fabulous Poodles) to straight-ahead rock (Old 97s, the Exies) and goofy bits (actual commercial segments from the Budweiser Real American Heroes series). Always something fun going on here.

Things I bought with my very own money:
4. VA – Best of 2005 – free with Q magazine
5. BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN – Born to Run 30th Anniversary Edition (Columbia)
Bought when I was in a bad mood and needed instant transport to a happy time, A must–have not just for the remastered version of a classic album (ask the kids about my karaoke version of “Jungleland”) but especially for the footage of prime E Street Band concert nirvana. This is the Bruce that I was in love with for a long, long time.
6. SPIKE JONES – Cocktails for Two (United Audio Entertainment)
On sale at my supermarket, for $4.99. How could I resist?

7. MERCY CREEK – Bonfire of Vanities (self-released)
8. MERCY CREEK – The Name of This Record is Mercy Creek (self-released)
Sent in connection with a Post preview story. click here

Many thanks to the publicity people who sent these by request:
9. BARENAKED LADIES – Barenaked Holidays (Nettwerk)
It was hard to choose just one song from this CD to include in the annual Cool Yule collection, so I cheated and took two – the duet with Sarah McLachlan on “God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen/We Three Kings” and a Hanukkah song that goes with my Secular Humanist Plot to Kill Christmas.
10. GARRISON STARR – The Sound of You and Me (Vanguard)
11. NEIL YOUNG – Prairie Wind (Reprise)
I don’t always love what he does, but I respect his efforts. Too bad the one song I caught on SNL, “He Was the King,” leaves me cold. Gotta give this one my full attention soon.
12. FRANZ FERDINAND – 2 DVD (Domino)
Cute + Talented = Good video.
13. VA – Now That Sounds Kosher (Shout!)
Since I was writing a preview about “What I Like About Jew,” which has a track on this compilation, I requested it from the publicist, actually to make a new contact with a label that does interesting reissues in the Rhino Records manner.
14. BOB MARLEY and the WAILERS – Africa Unite: The Singles Collection (Island)
Universal has started a great service for press and industry people whereby, with the help of a unique bit of software, you can stream and/or download just about anything in their catalog. But (and like me, this is a big But), it’s not yet available for Mac users (but we are the superior system!) So, I requested this bit of reggae heaven.

Sent without prompting:
15. HEROS SEVERUM – Plague Dogs (Two Sheds Music)
I haven’t had time to listen yet, but I like the press kit description: “Heros Severum's sound is a mix of brash guitars, booming low-end percussion, and melodic intertwining vocals. The sound created is unique, and has more in common with early 80's no wave bands like Mission of Burma and the Minutemen than with any of the band's rock and punk contemporaries.”

From the fabulous CD trade-in store:
16. The LIBERTINES – Up the Bracket (Rough Trade)
Finally, I can hear what the fuss is (was) about.
17. VA – The Greatest Voices & Unforgettable Evergreens
While I was waiting to pay for my purchases, this 10-CD set (it looks smaller since each disc in a simple cardboard sleeve) caught my eye. 200 songs by original artists, including many that I don’t have in any other format – songs by Julie London, Dean Martin, Peggy Lee, Vicki Carr (“It Must be Him” is a camp classic). The whole shebang was $25, which – if I’m using my calculator correctly, means they’re just 12 and a half cents per song. Beat that, iTunes!
18. GAVIN BRYARS with TOM WAITS – Jesus’ Blood Never Failed Me Yet (Point Music)
I already have this CD, but couldn’t bear to see it cast off in the $1.99 clearance section, When I find my original copy, buried in the back office, I will pass this one on to a friend who needs a meditative break. And when I brought it to the counter, I got into a nice conversation with one of the clerks about great obscure music in a similar vein.
19. SUZZY and MAGGIE ROCHE – Why the Long Face? (Red House Records)
After being quite the fan of the Roches work as a trio, I was glad to reconnect with them after time away. As one would expect, their sisterly harmonies sound great on a cover of Brian Wilson’s “A Day in the Life of a Tree.”
20. HANSON – Underneath Acoustic DVD,
If Taylor’s ever looking for an older woman groupie, give him my number.

YTD: 898

No comments: