Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Half Man Half Biscuit?!

Slowly getting back into the groove. Even gonna track a few by the actual days they arrived!

Tuesday, October 11th:
1. PROGRAM THE DEAD – S/T (Low Attitude/Universal)
The poster that came in the package is less scary than the band’s name would indicate – 3 alt. rock looking characters, and one stylish dance punk. Featuring the single, “Point the Finger.” Sent by a publicity group that deals in heavy rock and reggae/hip-hop. Chances are, not my bag.

A cool triple bill from a fairly new PR contact:
2. SINEAD O’CONNOR – Throw Down Your Arms (That’s Why There’s Chocolate and Vanilla)
Ah, Sinead. I didn’t abandon you when you ripped up that picture of the Pope. I haven’t let the other…assertive things you’ve done get in the way of appreciating your lovely voice or your amazing first few CDs. But I admit I have lost touch with your most recent works, and I may ask for some current character references before letting you baby-sit. But, on first listen, this reggae album sounds like a keeper. Recorded in Kingston, Jamaica with Sly and Robbie no less producing, featuring songs by the likes of Marley, Tosh, Perry and Burning Spear, and some of the musicians from the original versions. Cool.
3. SONS AND DAUGHTERS – The Repulsion Box (Domino)
Another new sensation from Scotland. Thanks to the nice publicist’s intervention, I was able to attend the band’s sold-out gig as openers for the Decemberists. It was a great show all around. I missed some of S&D’s set due to my own inability to navigate a new route in DC, and the dark-haired firebrand female was having trouble with her keyboards. But that just freed her up to cavort menacingly on stage with the ultra-chill male lead singer. I never had the pleasure of seeing X perform live, but I got a sense of that dangerous lover vibe, and it was good.
4. NADA SURF – The Weight is a Gift (Barsuk)
I still have my oversized (even for me) white T-shirt with “Popular” emblazoned on the front, from way back in the day when Nada Surf had a hit of the same name and a deal with a major label (Elektra) which, I presume, screwed them when they failed to follow-up with another hit. I just read that Death Cab for Cutie was skeptical of Elektra’s advances for that very reason.

5. JAMIE CULLUM – Catching Tales (Verve/-Forecast/Universal)
Been listening to the advance in the car (this is the official release) and it seems to suffer from the same problems as the debut – a Manilow-ish mainstream sound on the new pop tunes, a slightly treacly slow take on the standards. And yet, having seen the invigorating live DVD, I’m still psyched to catch Jamie in concert. And then we’ll really know where we (or at least I) stand. BTW, I’m getting a bit miffed at the way iTunes offers bonus tracks and videos to those people who buy online. And it’s not just ‘cause I’m getting the lesser freebies. Call me old skool, but I still think that real fans like to buy the package, not just the songs. And if you’re being really greedy and counting on them to shell out for both versions, that’s just mean.

6. CIGAR STORE INDIANS – Built of Stone (Overall Records)
Indie band coming to town twice in the next few months. I didn’t get this in time for the gig coming up this weekend, but can consider it for a date in November.

Monday, October 10th:
A visit to my favorite CD trade-in store:
7. LAURA VEIRS – Year of Meteors (Nonesuch)
She’s all the rage in the British press, and I meant to catch her live during the CMJ fest, but other things got in the way. Nonesuch is such a great label, I can buy on blind faith and know that, even if I’m not always bowled over, I won’t have my intelligence insulted.
8. BE BOP DELUXE – Postcards from the Future…Introducing Be Bop Deluxe (Caroline)
‘Cause I just had a hankering to hear “Modern Music” and “Blazing Apostles” and some other songs I probably love but won’t remember until I hear them again.
9. PAUL McCARTNEY – Chaos and Creation in the Backyard (Capitol)
A request from the hubby. Rumor has it it’s Paul’s best work in years, but that’s such a cliché when he comes out with a new CD, I’m hesitant to repeat it. However, we did give a listen while Terry made dinner and there was only one song that made me recoil at the sloppy sentimental lyrics. As Terry said, “I’m not afraid to listen to this again,” which is true praise for Macca’s later works.
From the $1.99 clearance section:
10. PET SHOP BOYS – Nightlife (EMI)
Although I have this CD already, this stylish limited digipak edition – all slick photos and glossy papers and a simulated floppy-disc casing – was too good to pass up. And it’s got a couple of good songs, too.
11. MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING – soundtrack (Epic Soundtraxx)
A little something for the college girl, studying Shakespeare at NYU. Music to study by, perhaps?

Sunday, October 9th:
12. MY MORNING JACKET – Z (Ato/RCA)
When the nice young PR woman called on Friday morning to offer me passes to the Kathleen Edwards gig opening for MMJ, it tipped me off the fence to go and get the new MMJ album (I have both of Edwards’ CDs already) as concert prep, It killed me, tho’, that I hadn’t gotten around to buying it when it was on release week super sale ($7.99) and I was now paying $5 more!
But worth it. The concert was a fine one, with Edwards being every bit the smart, sexy (but not cheap) chick with guitar I’d hoped she’d be, and the Jacket shredding the joint with a mix of Neil Young guitar work, Kings of Leon hair-tossing, Allman Brothers southern soul and even a pinch of Pink Floyd in a great sax solo. Much more intense live than I’d imagined, tho’ for home listening, I like the more understated studio vibe.
13. WORD OF MOUTH – free with issue of W. of M. magazine
Names I know - Sigur Ros, Echo & the Bunnymen, Laura Veirs – and some more I don’t – Sylvie Lewis, Half Man Half Biscuit (gotta love that name!), and Kate Rusby.

And the ongoing catch up with the Lost Summer collection:
14, 15. BOZ SCAGGS – Into the Light (Virgin)
Two copies of the same cardboard envelope advance – sent in the same envelope!
16. DEEP RIVER BAND – Virginia Sessions (Bowman Records)
Sent as prep for a Post preview. I’m not a big bluegrass fan, but my editors want me to vary the fare, and rightfully so. Also, I received the nicest emails from the promoter and a few fans of the sound, which reinforced that the press can have an impact on encouraging people to get out and hear what I’m talking about – always a good feeling. click here

17, 18. The LIVING BLUE – Fire, Blood, Water (Minty Fresh)
Saw and liked this band when I stumbled across them at CMJ, and the guy working with them gave me a copy of the CD. Some time after returning home, I got another copy in the mail from the PR team. As enjoyable as I remembered them – straightforward, muscular, catchy rock. Not surprisingly, they've opened for the Strokes, and New York Dolls.
They've actually been around for a while, started under the name the Bloody Knuckles, playing Chicago area colleges and clubs. In 2004, the Knuckles recorded a full-length, made a deal with Chicago's Minty Fresh Records (Cardigans/Tahiti 80) and changed their name. Now officially called The Living Blue, their Minty Fresh debut makes me think of early Jam, American new wave and classic blues rock.

And two from the Terry collection:
19. LALI PUNA – I Thought I Was Over That (Morr Music)
A German quartet that Terry discovered on a northward drive while listening to one of those great NPR stations that actually plays new music (why don’t we have one in DC?!)/ He remembered the title, tracked it down on the Internet, and now plays it incessantly. Good stuff, too – the remixes of the band’s electro-pop sound are actually more interesting than the band’s original works, which I discovered when I bought T one of the initial CD releases on a New York City visit.
20. LALI PUNA – Scary World Theory (Morr Music)

YTD total: 742

No comments: