Thursday, October 06, 2005

Cruise Your Daddy (!?)

Even as a headline (New York Daily News) with a photo of TomKat ( gossip rag name for this horrible match made in PR-hell), it’s creepy. But I couldn’t resist. On to another round of recent acquisitions and the eternal catching up…

New this week:
1. The FRAMES - Burn the Maps (Anti)
Coming to town next week, with the wonderful Josh Ritter. My Post editor agreed to let me preview it, so meet me back here next week for the full report.click here In preliminary listening for story research, I am pleasantly surprised by the range and depth of these Irish lads. And on “Set List,” the live recording, the rapport between the band and its audience is loud and palpable.
2. ANITA BAKER - Christmas Fantasy (Blue Note)
OMG! It's the first holiday CD of the season (wait, there may have been a children's CD a week or so ago). Can it really be time to begin the CPF "Cool Yule" collection for 2005? I always wait too long and, last year I was down to Christmas eve, meaning only people I saw in person got their holiday fix one time. So yeah, Anita, thanks for the wake-up call. Don't be a diva at Christmas - hey, that would be a good song title!
3. ZILLA - Egg (Zillmusic)
Jammy band type guys, also coming to town in the future (November, I think) and so, a Live! possibility.
4. GOMEZ - Out West (ATO/Sony/BMG)
Like the Beta Band (below), only in baggy stoner duds, these guys make music that is perfectly enjoyable while it's on and then hard to describe or even remember when the CD stops. I think it may be an ADD thing.
5. PILOTDRIFT - Water Sphere (Good Records)
Intersesting stuff. Put it on with headphones last night as I was drifting off to sleep. There’s a bit of unusual orchestration, some not-quite-cheesy MOR pop sounds and a general feeling that they’re trying to nudge the envelope a bit. All good signs for repeat visits.

Last week:
6. The BETA BAND - The Best of the Beta Band (Astralwerks)
In "High Fidelity," John Cusak's record-store owner says, "Watch me sell three copies of the Beta Band CD" and puts it on the in-store system. Sure enough, people come up and ask what's playing so they can buy it, and I found myself looking for the promo copy of the "Three EPs" that was lost in my basement. Every time I put the BB on, I find myself tapping my feet and bouncing along, but I can barely remember a lyric or melody a half hour later. Still, I smiled broadly to see this set in the puffy envelope, and more so when I popped it into the player and listened. If I can't tell you any song titles to seek out and enjoy, maybe it's my fault and not theirs. Oh yeah, and they remind me of the Moody Blues, without the orchestral pretentions.
7. BECK - Guero (Geffen)
This week’s Post preview for the Fairfax section,click here I already own the deluxe package (CD, DVD and hardcover book) of this album, but I asked for a press kit in case there was new info, or a nice color shot of Beck (I’ve always thought he looked like he could play Harrison Ford’s alt.rock son), but there wasn’t anything of great import in the package. This second copy of the CD may be of some trade-in value which makes up only slightly for the sting of not being able to score press tix to the show.

Things that have come in the recent past:
8. EMMA ROBERTS – Unfabulous and More (Columbia/Nick Records)
She’s some kind of Nickelodeon kid star, isn’t she? Even Grace didn’t recognize her name.
9. ELIZABETH COOK – This Side of the Moon (Hog County Production)
10. BOZ SCAGGS – Fade Into Light (Virgin)
Fully loaded DualDisc version of the album I got as advances some weeks ago. I put the video side in and must say I was very impressed with...the beautiful, clear picture on my laptop's big screen! (Still luxuriating in the new computer). As for Boz, he looked and sounded quite well as well. While I'll never again watch the handful of live performances offered on this disc, it was good to learn that Boz is alive and well and still has that smooth, mellow R&B thing down saran-wrap tight. And even at his now advanced age, he can sing "We're All Alone" and make it seductive rather than the icky entreaties of a smarmy old man. Wish the audio disc included "Lido," though. That was a favorite.

11. The KING of FRANCE – S/T
Coming to IOTA this weekend, and a Post preview as well. click here
I was once a panelist at a CMJ event with Michael Azzerad, the King's drummer who’s respected music journalist, and smart, sweet guy. If I wasn't going to see the Decemberists the same night, I would have checked out this show.
12. ROBBERS ON HIGH STREET – City Trees (New Line Records)
Headlining the show with the King of France, and the Post preview as well.

13. BLUE RODEO – Are You Ready (Warner Music Canada)
Same again (Rounder)
Two copies of the same CD, separated by only a few days. The first was the import from Canada, the second the official American release. Blue Rodeo is one of those bands whose albums are okay, but you need to see them live to appreciate how good they are.

14. JERRY DOUGLAS – The Best Kept Secret (KOCH)
Douglas is a champion sideman, who has supposedly played on over 1500 albums (!) but we all know that doesn't necessarily mean a compelling album when he takes the lead. Despite the contributions of friends and collaborators like Bill Frisell, Derek Trucks, Alison Krauss, Bela Fleck and John Fogerty, none of the songs made an impression on me.

15. THE GO! TEAM - Thunder, Lightning, Strike (Columbia/Memphis Industries)
My husband hates the word “unique” and since he’s an editor, he’d cut it out my text right now, but this is my blog (MINE!) so I will call this sound unique, unless of course you’ve heard Gwen Stefani’s “Hollaback Girl” and who hasn’t? But this, at least to my knowledge, is the first full album of double dutch chants mixed with pop sounds. According to the press pack, this edition differs from the overseas release with two bonus tracks and new vocals on “Bottle Rocket.” The same document also cites comparisons to Sonic Youth (eh), the Jackson Five (yeah) and the Avalanches (sure). It’s catchy and clever and fun.

16. JAMIE CULLUM - Catching Tales (Verve Forecast)
I wasn't a fan of Cullum’s first CD - until I saw the “Live at Blenheim Palace” DVD and saw what all the fuss is about. He's adorable! So I'm looking forward to this new one, albeit more because it means he'll be touring again soon and I might be able to see him in person. Out October 11th.

17. AMY RIGBY – Little Fugitive (Signature Sounds)
In many ways, Amy has been an inspiration, not just as a rocking older woman but as part model for the lead female character in a screenplay I wrote some years ago. Her new CD has a lovely, wistful song, "Dancing with Joey Ramone."

18. VARIOUS ARTISTS – Music from the Motion Picture Elizabethtown (RCA)
Cameron Crowe has the life I’d love to have – ace music journalist, respected screenwriter and director, does a fabulous job of working music into his films, even married a rock start. Damn him.

19. The ROLLING STONES – A Bigger Bang (Virgin)
Why do I suspect that the Stones recorded "My Sweet Neocon" not because they wanted to make a bold political statement but because Mick thought making a seemingly bold political statement would be good for some publicity on a yet another "need to pay the mortgage on the chateau, so let's throw together a tour" tie-in CD? Yes, it sounds like good old Stones music again, but I have over a dozen good old Stones albums on the shelf already and when I play them, I don't picture a lecherous senior citizen cavorting with girls barely older than my teenage daughter.

Bought at a Saturday afternoon visit to TOWER Records:
20. DEEP DISH – George Is On (Thrive Records)
Proof that the listening towers work. Was inspired by good feelings generated when I heard tha the DC based duo hosted a benefit for Hurricane Katrina Relief at The MCCXXIII Nightclub – all proceeds to be matched and donated to the American Red Cross. Ali "Dubfire" Shirazinia and Sharam Tayebi, are the DJ/Producers, 2002 Grammy Award winners (“Best Remixed Recording” for Dido’s “Thank You”), and knob-twiddlers for the likes of the Rolling Stones, P. Diddy, Justin Timberlake, Michael Jackson, and Madonna. I plugged in at the listening station and was pulled in by the single “Say Hello,” and the mash-up, “Deep Dish Vs. Dire Straits ‘Flashing for Money." Icing on the cake was the inclusion of a bonus disc of remixes and video.

Tower isn’t much of a bargain for its new releases, but there are often some cool clearance items. In the import section, under $3.oo each:
21. SHERYL CROW – The First Cut is the Deepest CD single (A&M)
I have a bunch of Crow’s CD singles, all with rare and live B-sides, so I keep collecting them when I see them on sale. (It’s that OCD thing again). One day, I’ll burn them all onto a double disc set and sell the original lot on ebay.
22. The LIBERTINES – Don’t Look Back Into the Sun CD single (Rough Trade)
Britain’s favorite musical train wreck. I’m still trying to learn what all the fuss is about.

YTD total: 721

No comments: