Sunday, July 10, 2005

Isn’t It Nice to Be Home Again?

“Didn’t I miss your smiling face?” James Taylor sang that line in the song that bears this entry’s title. And yes, indeed, I am glad to be back.

Dad’s still in the hospital, still in ICU, but more stable, so please keep sending good karma his way. My brother flew in from California to be with him and mom, so I came back home to tend to my nuclear family (hubby, two kids) and some work issues. I will back with the ‘rents,, if all goes well for all of us, in another two weeks.

And so, back to what passes for normal life. To see my latest articles for the Washington Post, here’s the links:
Shannon McNally and the Alternate Routes (separate gigs)
click here
The Getwaway Car, The Argument, and Spiraling
click here

Before I left upstate, I went on two other retail therapy runs.
First one, at the local mall brought me (or shall I say, me bought) something I’d been wanting for a long time. It wasn’t on sale ($23.99, with a $3 discount coupon), but it was time to treat myself:
1. TALKING HEADS – The Name of This Band is Talking Heads (Rhino/Sire/Warner Bros.)
The expanded edition, two CDs, including the full “Remain in Light” tour set list. Terry was delighted to see it, and we’ve been listening – and reliving those glorious days in NYC – throughout the Friday evening. He challenged me to name my Top Five musical acts of my time. No hesitation – Beatles, Heads, Bruce, Costello, U2.
F.Y.E. (the store in question) was having one of those come-ons –buy $30 of merch now and get a coupon worth $10 (no minimums or exemptions) later in the summer. I was looking for something interesting to take me to that magic number and found this cool remainder:
2. MANIC STREET PREACHERS – Forever Delayed, Special Edition (SONY UK)
A 2-CD set from 2002 for $8.99, one of which is remixes from the likes of Chemical Brothers, Massive Attack, David Holmes and Avalanches. I don’t know the Manx, as the Brit pop press likes to call them, but I have read so much about them over the years that I couldn’t resist the cheap chance to check ‘em out, especially with the remix disc offering so many artists that I do know and like, Nicely packaged, too, with a bilingual sticker label (English/French) which makes me feel oh-so international.

A second visit to the head shop, and I got two presents for Terry:
3. RADIOHEAD – Street Spirits
A double disc set, recorded live in Toronto, 2000.
4. RADIOHEAD - B-sides and rarities.
Saving this one for his birthday next week. Shhhh...don't tell.

And my brother came bearing gifts – a few CDs he no longer wanted, that I can keep or trade as I wish:
5. EYES WIDE SHUT OST (Reprise)
I'm so sick of Tom Cruise, I don't even want to look at the cover.
6. JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR - London Cast
A single disc version, so something must be missing, I don't think I can listen to Andrew Lloyd Weber anymore.
7. JANIS IAN - Encore collection (live)
8. ANN MARGRET – Let Me Entertain You (RCA)
A 1996 collection that will fit nicely in with my lounge series and Vegas hits. I’m looking forward to her version of “Heartbreak Hotel.” Not so much the last track, “As Long as He Needs Me.”
9. AARON NEVILLE - Warm Your Heart (Polygram)
I have this one already, or did. Neville has a great voice, but his arrangements can be syrupy. Love his version of Randy Newman's "Louisiana."

And now to the stack o’ wax that awaited me on my return. Actually, a dump of discs. Since I don’t know what days they actually arrived, I’ll go by postmarks.

July 6:
10. The CLICK FIVE – Greetings from Imrie House (Lava)
Opening for Backstreet Boys, after opening for Ashlee Simpson. Personally, I think it's a step up.
11. ANTIGONE RISING – From the Ground Up (Lava)
Been hearing a lot about these ladies, but I wonder if the Starbucks-only sales strategy may hurt them. First listen reveals a strong female band. Yet to see if the songs will grab hold, but would like to check 'em out live,

July 5:
12. SHELBY LYNNE – Suit Yourself (Capitol)
Coming to the Birchere in the next week or so. Saw her once at the 930 Club, with elder teenage daughter and suddenly realized that some of the lesbian crowd thought she was my date! Weird feeling, that!
I played the shine off the "I Am Shelby Lynne" CD, an album with a beautiful "Dusty in Memphi"s vibe - but was seriously disilluisoned by its follow-up, "Love, Shelby," especially with the kitten pose cover. "Identity Crisis" was a bit back to form, and now I hear this one has a great low-fi vibe.
13. RESTORING POETRY IN MUSIC – Dream Awake (self-released)
In sharp contrast with Shelby Lynne’s CD, which came in a full-tilt press kit – folder, color pic and many photo-copied bio pages and tearsheets, RPM, as they are also known, comes in a hand-written envelope with a two-page hand-written note, in which the main guy sweetly and respectfully says, regarding an upcoming show (July 25th at the IOTA), “ We would really appreciate it if you could make it out that night and write a review of our show.” The female booker who gave him my address may not have explained that I do previews, not reviews, and I won’t be in town that night, but I’ll see what I can do to be helpful in future.

July 1:
14. ROYKSOPP – The Understanding (Astralwerks)

June 30:
15.EARL KLUGH – Naked Guitar (KOCH Records)

June 24:
16. WYNTON MARSALIS – Amongst the People: Live at the House of Tribes (Blue Note)
17. ERIN McKEOWN – We Will Become Like Birds (Nettwerk America)
Coming to IOTA on Friday, July 15 and then again on Tuesday, July 26, opening for Ani DiFranco.

June 23:
18. STOLL VAUUGH – Hold On Thru Sleep & Dreams (Shadowdog Records)

June 22:
This was a big day, with numerous labels sending out packages.
19. FATTY KOO – House of Fatty Koo (DASLabel/Sony Urban Music/Columbia)
20. BRANDI CARLILE – S/T (Red Ink/Columbia)
21. BOW WOW – Wanted (Sony Urban Music/Columbia)
22. TOMMY BOY PRESENTS HIP HOP ROOTS (Tommy Boy)
This one's great fun in the car with the teenagers, as they try to remember which current/recent hip-hop tracks used the source material contained here, like the Monkees' "Mary Mary." The press kit is an invaluable cheat-sheet that lets me act like I know what I'm talking about.

23. SHANNON McNALLY – Geronimo (Back Porch/EMI)
Official release to follow an advance I got weeks ago to promote a Jammin’ Java gig, which I did in the Post. Though the CD booklet has full lyrics and a few pics, I will hold on to the advance and pass this one on. But I’ll make note here and now of a nice bit in the liner notes: “Dedicated to the memory and spirit of Geronimo and the disenchanted hope of Hunter S. Thompson.”

24. TOWERS OF LONDON – Fuck It Up/Down in the Streets CD single (TVT)
The Sunday Independent (UK) calls ToL “the most notorious, remorseless, antisocial band in Britain right now” and the press sheet repeats it like it’s a good thing. From the photos, looks like these guys wanna mix Motley Crue misogyny with Sex Pistols manners. Oh boy.
25. DaKAH HIP HOP ORCHESTRA – San Francisco Debut, Palace of Fine Arts 7/31/04 (KUFALA Recordings)
26. DaKAH HIP HOP ORCHESTRA – Unfinished Symphony (KUFALA Recordings)

June 21:
27. The KALLIKAK FAMILY – May 23rd, 2007 (Tell-All Records)
Intriguing from the get-go. The futuristic title, the subtle package with simple line drawing, the liner notes stating that tape recordings made in Italy, Oregon and Illinois were then mixed and edited May 24th 2003 – 2005. Did they stop end on the same calendar day? The titular (is that word too pompous?) date is the one on which a fortuneteller predicted the artist’s death. The publicity people – those lovely folk at Team Clermont – say that it’s for fans of The Books, Susumu Yokota, Keith Fullerton Whitman, Alejandra & Aeron, Gastr del Sol and Brian Eno. The only name I know on that list is Eno’s. No matter what you think you know in this bizniz of music, there’s hundreds of bands you’ll never hear…This one goes to the top of the pile.

June 20:
28. KAISER CARTEL – Double Standard (self-released)
Since I am no longer on most of the major label mailing lists, much of what gets sent to me is directly targeted by publicists and bands who are hoping for coverage in the Post previews, and that means many indie label acts like this one. And many are hand-written envelopes, with return addresses that would allow me, if I were a stalker, to show up at their door and harass them personally. So it is with Kaiser Cartel, a Brooklyn duo who will be at the Galaxy Hut on Monday, July 18th.The CD comes in a cardboard case with a line drawing sticker cover. Let’s hear it for scrappy underdogs.

June 18:
29. FINE CHINA – The Jaws of Life (Common Wall Media)
The PR people are in Athens, GA, but the package came from Phoenix, with the band’s logo stamped in a large (6” square), and included a sticker as well. A sign of a better-than-average push for an indie band.

Arrival/postmark dates unknown:
30. TRISTAN PRETTYMAN – Twentythree (Virgin)
31. VIVIAN GREEN – Vivian (Sony Urban Music/Columbia)
The label says that UPS sent this out on June 7. That doesn't seem right...anyway. saw Vivian Green at an intimate press performance at the time of the release of her debut and. though I liked her voice, was unimpressed with her material. I'll give it a listen, but not so sure.
32. KATE CAMPBELL – Blues and Lamentations (Large River Music)
33. The JULIET DAGGER – Turn Up the Death (Good Charamal Records)
I had requested this one as a possible Live! preview, but the press kit didn't arrive in time (I even gave the update address to facilitate. Whether the publicist paid attention or not, I don't know).
34. RA – Duality (Republic/Universal)
A second copy of something that came in earlier, perhaps because the band is coming to Virginia Beach. But that’s out of my range. Hey, they do a cover of "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic."

So much new music to catch up on. A lovely welcome home, indeed.

YTD total: 544

No comments: