Sunday, July 03, 2005

The Healing Power of Music

It’s after one in the morning, Sunday, July 3rd and, as I write this, my father is in the hospital, in the Intensive Care Unit, and things aren’t looking great. He’s been there for two weeks now, and I’ve spent almost that same amount of time with my mother in upstate New York, visiting him and trying to be supportive to both of them.

Up to now, this blog has generally kept to the light and fluffy, and I don’t intend to go very deeply now into the full emotional rollercoaster of these past days. Maybe it seems odd that I even mention this very personal matter in the context of a music blog. But that word – context – is the key.

Throughout this experience, I have kept myself distracted, kept myself comforted, perhaps even kept myself sane, because I have music around me. For someone who doesn’t share this love, it may sound silly, trivial or downright stupid but as I type, the local alternative rock station, WEQX (102.7 FM), is playing dance music mixes, and hearing Bono sing “It’s a Beautiful Day” over a pulsing dance beat is genuinely comforting. So was catching Frank Sinatra’s “I’ve Got You Under My Skin,” when I turned the radio on, riding home from the hospital one night. Hearing the horn charts kick in during the middle break gave my spirits a lift, and singing along with the final verses brought temporary relief from all the pressures of the day.

So I blog on. Rituals are comforting, too, and listing these discs brings a small sense of order into a time when all the truly important things are way beyond my control. This is the context, then, in which I recall the latest new music in my life…

In the morning, if/when I make breakfast for mom and me, I put something on the CD player, choosing carefully among the few CDs I brought with me (most of what I’ve brought is stored on the iPod, and I have no conversion device), looking for something that she might like, too. Mom teased me the other day, asking, “What is that song that says, ‘she will have music wherever she goes?’ That was written about you.” It’s a fair cop.

One reliable selection, brought from home in the recent promo acquisitions was:

1. SONNY ROLLINS –Without a Song (The 9-11 Concert) (Milestone)
Of course, there’s a sense of melancholy in a live recording of a memorial for such a tragic event. But if anyone can make his instrument soothe and soar with a survivor’s strength, it’s this jazz master. Includes one of my favorite sentimental standards, “Where or When,” tho’ I must say I’d prefer a slower, moodier take on this bittersweet classic. A lucky, perfect choice that I threw into my bag at the last minute.

While I’ve been here in the land of scarily obese people and amazing mullets, I’ve been to the local malls (but I refuse to visit the Wal-Mart) and have found odd pockets of good, cheap, clearance items:

2. HELP: Benefit for War Child (Go! London)
49 cents. That’s less than the cost of buying an empty jewel box. This used CD includes tracks by Oasis (featuring Johnny Depp?!), Paul Weller, Radiohead, Massive Attack and other British favorites. I have a copy back home, but at this price, of course I will get one to keep on hand.

3.The SEAHORSES – Do It Yourself (Geffen)
A different store offered other 49 cent bargains. Bought simply on the name recognition of John Squire, formerly of Stone Roses, a band I grew to love only after its demise.

4. ALISON MOYET – Essex (Columbia)
The Dollar Market didn’t have much to offer, but this one brought back memories of YAZZ, a band that made some great music back in the day. Initial listening doesn’t reveal any great surprises, but Moyet’s strong voice and general lack of shrill is good for driving with mom.

5. BJORK – Emotional Landscapes (N/A)
The local head shop offers glass pipes, for tobacco use only (yeah, right) and a few racks of concert recordings (none dare call them bootlegs). Back before we all got wise to the ease of burning our own CDs, this shop used to sell the concert discs for $20 or more each disc. Now the cost is coming down. Most were $16, but I scored this live Bjork set for $10. It’s good to have the Icelandic chanteuse on my side, especially since this collection is from my favorite period – from the “Debut” and “Post” CD to “I’ve Seen it All,” from “Dancer in the Dark.” The disc comes with official warnings about “unauthorized copying and lending…” Yeah, tell me about it, record label that has no name…

6. COLDPLAY – X&Y (Capitol)
When I tell you that I paid $14.99 for this at Target, you may say ‘so what?’ But anyone who knows me well knows that I NEVER pay full price for a current hit CD that can be found for $12 or so at the local Big Box store (but not Wal-Mart). But I discovered I couldn’t wait any longer. In true ear-worm fashion, “Speed of Sound” has become lodged in my brain, and I remember “Fix You” from the HFStival as being a lovely song of caring concern. It just seemed that Coldplay would be a good album to have around. And then Jon Stewart mentioned this one and Foo Fighters in the Daily Show in an solicited testimonial of great new sounds. That clinched the deal. And so far, it hasn’t disappointed. Coldplay may not be doing anything daringly original, but they do what they do damn well. And if the New York Times critic faulted them for having not a hair out of place, I remember initially holding that against Steely Dan and now some of their early stuff is among my favorites. So yeah, worth the extra coupla bucks.

And here’s some stuff I jotted down before I left on my trip…

Monday, June 20
7. DAIKAIJU – S/T (Reptile Records)
8. HOWIE DAY – Stop All the World Now (Epic)
Featured in the Post. Personally, I can’t stand “Collide.”

Saturday, June 18
9. SIDE STEP – Hey Cadet (Arc the Finger Records)
10. MOJO magazine Mod Club Party free compilation
11. The AVETT BROS. – Live, Vol. 2 (Ramseur Records)
12. The CHICHARONES – When Pigs Fly (Camobear Records)
According to the press release, this Canadian indie-rap act is composed of brothers Sleep (that’s his name) and Josh Martinez, who
are “tearing up the mouths and hearts of all who come in contact.” But what if I don’t want my mouth torn up? That sounds nasty. Named after spicy crispy deep fried pork skin, los chicharrones.
Out August 23rd.
13. MARIA TAYLOR – 11:11 (Saddle Creek)
14. SPIRALING – Challenging Stage (self-released)
Upcoming Post preview. I did an email interview with the leader during the last week of upheaval. It was a good distraction.
15. The ALTERNATE ROUTES – Good and Reckless and True (self-released?)
Coming up in next week’s Post also, and another fine heart-mender. Early listening bodes well, especially track two, “Who Cares,” which has an instantly engaging beat. Mom asked “who is that?” while I was working on the story. She said, “He has a lovely voice.” Yes, indeed.

Friday, June 17
16. SONYA KITCHELL – Words Came Back to Me (Velour)
17. HOPE PARTLOW – Who We Are (Virgin)
The press kit, in which the song lyrics are presented in the form of a teenager’s diary, with curly script and little hearts for punctuation, is too cutesy-pootsey for words.

YTD: 510

Time to sleep, another way to escape.
Thanks in advance for any good karma you can send dad's way...

No comments: