Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Viva Las Vegas - and music, too.

Tuesday, May 31
Today's deliveries must wait until tomorrow to be listed, as there is much catching up to do!

Saturday, May 28
Tower prices are generally higher than other stores, but you can’t beat the selection. And sometimes the clearance area has some great buys. I got these import singles for under $5 each:
1. JOHN MAYER – Why Georgia (Columbia)
Lately, I have heard a few snaps at Mayer, indicating that he’s become the new poster boy for bland commercial radio, but that’s unfair. Except for the truly treacly “Daughters,” Mayer's shown himself to be a credible, melodic songwriter and can play a wicked guitar when he wants to – usually saved for the live shows. So give him a break. He hasn’t disgraced himself – yet. Features a live version, plus one of “3x5,” and a demo of “No Such Thing.”
2. RADIOHEAD – There there (Parlophone)
Hail to the Thief single plus two previously unreleased tracks, and a small art print.
3. KINGS OF LEON – Wasted Time
Includes “Molly’s Hangover” (a slow take on “Molly’s Chambers”), a live version of “Joe’s Head” and a video of the title track.
4. SOMETHING CORPORATE – If You C Jordan (MCA/Drive-Thru)
Includes “Bad Day,” the “Jordan” video, and an acoustic version of “I Want to Save You.”
Also, these full-lengths were 75% off, so for under $3 each, I had to take a chance:
5. MARTIN GRECH – Open Heart Zoo (Island)
The sticker says that the title track was featured in the new Lexus TV commercial, which usually means something catchy. First listen started badly, but I was drawn in by later tracks.
6. SANDY DILLON & HECTOR ZAZOU – Las Vegas is Cursed (Crammed)
Zazou's name is familiar from a CD he did some years back, with interesting female vocalists (Suzanne Vega? Jane Siberry? Must look it up). I like some of the song titles, too: “God Believes in Showbiz,” “Excuse Me (If I’m Sad).” First listen indicated that Ms. Dillon has a voice that may take some getting used to.
7. WORD OF MOUTH magazine with free CD of new music
People I know I like: Nick Cave, Shivaree, British Sea Power, Arcade Fire; new ones to find out about: Broken Family Band (like the song title, too: “Where the Hell is My Baby?”), Seasick Steve & the Level Devils, et al.

Target:
8. MOTOWN REMIXED
A tale of obsessive price shopping. First time I checked this album out on iTunes, the full CD, with 19 tracks - a few of them touted as online exclusives - was offered for $9.99. But I knew it was on sale at Target for $7.98, so I went to the store to check out what the deal was. The "hard copy" of the CD had 15 tracks. So, I figured, the online version was a better deal - if those 4 additional tracks meant something to me. I returned to iTunes the next day, and the full CD was now $14.99! So I bought the Target version. I still like jewel cases and liner notes, and even if I buy all four additional tracks from iTunes, I'm ahead. So far, it's coming on as a great collection. Enough retro recognition to be an instant friend, enough new twists to make it all feel fresh again.
Sent:
9. DAN HICKS and the HOT LICKS – Selected Shorts (Surfdog Records)
Actually, got three copies of this in one day, two of them addressed to other Post writers as if they lived at my house. Yeah, I'm running a major newspaper out of my basement! Called the publicist today to straighten out the mistake. Will only count it once.

Friday, May 27
WE GET OUT: Todd Snider and the Nervous Wrecks, plus Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers at the State Theatre
Great show, good fun. Kellogg wasn't as chatty/funny as his reputation made him out to be, so my preview might have been a little off the mark click here. And Todd Snider was playing with a band, so he was less verbose than he was on his wonderful solo live CD, but both had appealing presence, warmth and musical support to make for a fine night of good-time music. i especially like the way Todd ended with an audience singalong of "Enjoy Yourself" (it's later than you think), which appears on his latest, East Nashville Skyline.
Sent:
10. 30 SECONDS TO MARS – A Beautiful Life (Virgin)
Advance. Album in stores August 16.
Gracie bought herself a belated birthday present:
11. MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE – Three Cheers for Sweet Romance (Reprise)
I wrote about these guys months ago click here , but didn't hold on to the CD. Grace loves them now, smitten with the clever movie-trailer style video for "I'm Not Okay (I Promise)." It's harder than my usual taste, but they've got humor to go with the angst.

Thursday, May 26
12. ATHLETE - Tourist (Astralwerks)
More grand, emotive British pop for those who can't get enough Coldplay. Not bad, but I keep thinking I'm hearing outtakes from an Elbow album.

Wednesday, May 25
Bought for Grace’s birthday – but I dig ‘em, too:
13. GORILLAZ – Demon Days (Virgin)
Looks like a sure-fire entry to my year-end top ten. The single, "Feel Good Inc." was buzzing through my head for the days leading up to CD release, and now the full-length is the go-to selection when I can't make up my mind. So many styles and so much cool.
14. GREEN DAY - Shenanigans (Reprise)
Her boys, with rarities, covers and B-sides.

Tuesday, May 24
WE GET OUT: Judith Owen and Harry Shearer at Jammin’ Java.
If all you know of Harry Shearer is Spinal Tap, Mighty Wind or the Simpsons, get thee to KCRW.com and check out Le Show, Harry's weekly one-hour mix of music and commentary, often with brilliant audio sketches. Sometimes he plays songs recorded by his wife, Judith Owen, and rightfully so. She's got a beautiful voice and writes wry material that fits in well with the Le Show smarter-than-your-average-radio vibe. Having Judith appear at Jammin java was a treat, especially with Harry adding tasteful bass lines and doing a quick song while she took a "drug break." Afterwards, I got the chance to speak with them both (separately) and was delighted to find that, despite all the intellectual cool they radiate onstage, they're genuinely friendly folk off. Always a thrill to meet heroes. Even better when they share the warmth.

Sent:
15. JOE PERRY – S/T (Roman/Columbia)
16. JOHN CENA & tha TRADEMARC – You Can’t See Me (Columbia)
World Wrestling Federation star turned rapper. No need to break the shrink wrap.
Purchased:
17. BORDERS ESSENTIALS, Vol. 4
Two cents. That’s what this ten-song sampler, including The Clash’s “Train in Vain,” Cheap Trick’s “Surrender (live)” and Jeff Buckley's "Last Goodbye," among others, cost me at the big but not nasty book store. Perfect to keep in the car as fall-back refreshment for when the radio craps out and you've forgotten to grab new discs for travel.

Monday, 23rd
18. UMe/Chronicles SAMPLER GOLD
This week’s Best Buy freebie. Twelve tracks, but not as tasty as the Borders collection. Having reaquainted myself with the likes of Moody Blues' "Your Wildest Dreams" and Kool & the Gang's "Too Hot," I'm not anxious to revisit any time soon. Still, I dare you to hear Tom Jones sing "It's Not Unusual" and not sing along. A cheap way to cherry-pick for the iPod, though.
Sent:
19.The NERVOUS RETURN – Wake Up Dead (La Salle Records)

Sunday, May 22
Back from Vegas, some packages await. (Sigh, I remember once, returning home from an extended stay in L.A. and having a stack of boxes waiting for me that clocked in at about 80 releases. Those were my glory days of swag!)
20. TODD SNIDER – East Nashville Skyline (Oh Boy!)
A new favorite, discovered in doing a preview for the Post. click here
21. ROSANNE CASH – Interiors (Columbia Legacy)
22. ROSANNE CASH – Seven Year Ache (Columbia Legacy)
23. ROSANNE CASH – King’s Record Shop (Columbia Legacy)
Three generic plastic-cased reissues, coming this summer. Back in the day, when I lived in NYC and wrote a syndicated music column about music videos, I was invited to dinner at a hip Tribeca restaurant (I think DeNiro owned it) with Ms. Cash and about six other music writers. It was a blast, and I met a cool editor from Seventeen magazine, who later threw a little work my way. At the time, Rosanne was promoting Interiors, and I remember liking the album a lot. Listening to it again now, it doesn't have quite the same you-are-there impact, but I'll enjoy re-exploring this wise woman's music.
24. DAVID POE – Love is Red (7 Twenty Records)
Mature, but not dull-edged, pop/jazz, sorta like Sting without the annoying smug success factor. Coming to Jammin Java next week.
25. THE MOANERS – Dark Snack (Yep Roc)
26. ARUNA – Running Red Lights (Eskala)
27. PEPPER’S GHOST – Shake the Hand that Shook the World (Hybrid)
Official version of a generic cardboard advance I got many weeks ago. Playing at Nation on June 13th.
28. JEFF BLACK – Tin Lily (Dualtone)
29. The GREENCARDS – Weather and Water (Dualtone)
Official version duplicate of an advance I received earlier. Easy to like pop/rock bluegrass.
30. DROPKICK MURPHYS – The Warrior’s Code (Hellcat Records)
Celtic punk. Like a Reese's peanut butter cup, two great tastes that taste great together.

Wednesday, May 18
Purchased from iTunes:
31. STEPHEN KELLOGG and the SIXERS – S/T (Foundations/Universal)
I had an advance of this album in the reference binder, but it wouldn't load into my iTunes for the Vegas trip, so I bought it. Much as I enjoyed Kellogg in concert, the songs alone don't grab me yet.
32. TODD SNIDER – Near Truths and Hotel Rooms
Also purchased to help with the Post story (I spend in order to do my job, so don't begrudge the freebies when they come), this CD was a revelation. Todd's such a good storyteller that, as catchy as his songs are, you're kinda happy when they end 'cause then you're gonna get another sweet tale.
Emusic:
33. MY MORNING JACKET - Live at the 930 Club 8-16-2002
Gotta use up my monthly music allowance and refuel the iPod for the trip.
34. SPOON – Gimme Fiction
And this is what makes emusic so good - beign able to to take a chance on a CD that I've only heard about, for about $4.oo. Could be a contender for year's best. Only now I wanna read the liner notes!
35. TROUBLED HUBBLE - Live at Schubas 3-8-2005
Today (Monday, May 31st), Grace got an envelope in the mail with a TH t-shirt and handmade birthday card from these guys. You gotta love them - and if you listen to 'em, you will. It's not just a 'love 'em 'cause I like 'em' thing.

YTD: 442

No comments: