Tuesday, May 17, 2005

I Want My Job, Too

Tuesday, May 17
Just two CDs in the mail today:
1.SYSTEM OF A DOWN - Mezmerize (American/Columbia)
2.SISTERHOOD OF THE TRAVELING PANTS soundtrack (Sony Music Soundtraxx)
I read the book 'cause Grace said it was one of the best she ever read, and it's a nice teen book. Now the movie with her favorite TV star, from the Gilmore Girls, which I watch faithfully, too. Something I can add to her pile of presents - she'll be 15 next week.
but where I was going yesterday...

Monday, May 16
There used to be a saying in the music biz, "It's all in the grooves." What do we say now that vinyl has been largely replaced by shiny plastic? And what if there's more to talk about than just the music, i.e. packaging? The majority of the releases I obtained in the past few days are not only wonderful to listen to, for the most part, but artfully presented. That's the kind of thing that iTunes still can't match.

Purchased:
3.TROUBLED HUBBLE - Making Beds in a Burning House (Lookout!)
Even if this lovely quartet from Chicago didn't sleep in my basement for much of the time they were recording their album in Arlington (with Jason Caddell, ex of Dismemberment Plan, producing) and even if they didn't thank me (and the family) personally in the liner notes, and even if they weren't four of the nicest guys I've ever met in this crazy business of show, I would STILL call this a damn fine CD. Lead singer and lyricist Chris Opetka has a deliciously skewed worldview (try "I See Molecules") and a tender heart ("Even Marathon Runners Need to Nap") and he's backed by a kickin' rock band that has fun while getting the job done. I give this my personal guarantee. You will not be disappointed by this CD and, if you can see them live, money back if you don't have a great time. So there.

Sent:
4. MEREDITH BRAGG and the TERMINALS -S/T (The Kora Records)
At first I was drawn to the beautiful packaging - letterpress on kraft cardbboard with blue/purple ink and sly wording ("Timbre quality manipulated by Mr. Chad Clark" - I think that means the DC area stalwart mixed it). But in just two listens, it's moving fast up my personal hit parade. I'm such a sucker for bands that use cellos. Bragg still sounds very Elliot Smith, albeit with a happier disposition, and there's touches of Nick Drake and Postal Service, too. Perfect late night drifting away music.
Months ago, I wrote about Bragg's appearance on a multi-act benefit for the late and lamented music/fashion store Now! and he sent me a CD-R of music to write about. Given the name Meredith, and the fact that we communicated only via email, I assumed I was writing about a woman and, when the disc came, I was suprised to hear a voice uncannily similar to Elliot Smith's. I remained confused until I saw the subtiitle on this official disc's elegant cover: "An inquiry into the nature of pressure waves through eleven songs by Meredith Bragg with his band the Terminals, Vol. 1." Call me stupid, but at least I'm honest about it. The last male Meredith I knew was the guy who wrote "The Music Man."

5. NIKKA COSTA - Can'tNeverDidn'tNothin' (Virgin)
Official version of a CD I got as cardboard case advance a while back. Popped it in the car for a few songs, but doubt I'll go back again. It's chick dance blues rock scream stuff and not my bag, baby.

Sunday, May 15
Purchased at the Galaxy Hut, after A Northern Chorus played a great set, moving from delicate cello (they're everywhere these days!) and harmony sentiments to bracingly loud crescendo. click
6. A NORTHERN CHORUS - Before We All Go To Pieces (S/R)
The band's first, self-released CD, from 2001 is one of those each-and-every-one's-unique productions. The disc, with stickered label, sits on a corrugated cardboard tray in a silver metal box with the band name and title stencilled on front. There's a crudely glued paper insert with song titles and production details and two small square art cards - little screen prints. This is why the phrase "musical artists" applies to some bands more than others. The music is equally attendent to detail. Another great evening album for stimulating chill time.
7. A NORTHERN CHORUS - spirit flags (Sonic Unyon)

Saturday, May 14
Great day at the HFStival. Sad to see we missed They Might Be Giants' set, but we did catch the two Johns chatting with a third - the much-missed HFS DJ Johnny Riggs - who was conducting interviews from the basement of M&T Band Stadium in Baltimore.
At first, it looked like it would be a quiet, sit-in-the-stands kind of day when the media will call window had no record of my photo pass request from SUM-41. But then I ran into Rich, my pal and former editor at the Post, and he did a little backstage wrangling when he went to do an interview with Benji of Good Charlotte and came back with the magic laminate. With that, I was able to shoot mainstage pit shots of Garbage, Billy Idol, Coldplay and New York Dolls, although the Dolls shots were lost in a media card snafu, as was a great close-up of Shirley Manson, Dave Grohl and Butch Vig backstage. (GRRRRRR....) Also made the effort to shoot SUM-41, despite the fact that they "stood me up" and found their potty-mouth juvenile delinquency act is getting tired. The best part of their set for me was taking the disposable camera of a discouraged fan in a far corner spot and bringing it with me into the prime pit area so I could give her some good shots (I hope).
"I want your job!" one girl, crushed against the barricade, moaned as I moved freely in the photo pit in front of the stage, dodging the flying crowd-surfers. It's more a paid hobby, I told her, but yeah, it's fun in a place like this. Rich and I agreed, sneaking a smoke outside the glass-enclosed press box, complete with free drinks and many clean bathrooms, that big festivals would be pretty hard to get through at our age without the niceties of press access.
Other high points included a brief chat with the lovely Miss Manson, introducing Grace to Benji and Joel of GC, getting a hug from Vince from Army of Me (great local band) and chatting with two guys from the Bravery about their Rube Goldberg-ian video. And hearing Foo Fighters sing "My Hero," one of my favorites ever! That, and seeing Taylor with his shirt off - again.
The shots that came out well - including many of the Divine Miss M in fishnets, Billy Idol's scowl, and Chris Martin's scary hairy belly - will be up soon on my web site, closepersonalfriend.com.
Got home from the festival and had this most delightful discovery:
8. BRIAN ENO - Thursday Afternoon (Astralwerks)
9. BRIAN ENO - Music for Films (Astralwerks)
10. BRIAN ENO - More Music for Films(Astralwerks)
11. BRIAN ENO - Apollo (Astralwerks)
Many weeks ago, I sent an email to one of the label's publicists, admitting that I had no assignment, but if she could spare any of the Eno reissues. At the time, I may have been referring to the more song-oriented works, like Before and Afetr Science (a personal favorite), but I think I was late off the mark. Any Eno is good Eno, and these selections from his ambient series are, for the most part, most welcome replacements for vinyl. What a nice upgrade and sweet welcome home from a fine day of muc more rowdy music.
Also in the day's mail:
12. DEATH BY STEREO - Death for Life (Epitaph)
13. HUSKY RESCUE - Country Falls (Minty Fresh)
It's hard to call attention to new bands before they earn/cajole/bribe their way to radio play, so the first best plan may be to have a cool name. Husky Rescue is such a name. Without hearing a note, I've been tracking their movement in the flurry of press releases sent by the publicity team working them. Now the CD has arrived, so I put it in gladly, to discover that it's got a chilly female vocalist and folk/electronica vibe which sorta reminds me of Portishead.

YTD: 407

No comments: