Monday, April 18, 2005

Not Quite Brenda Starr...

...but I did my best at the Maroon 5 and Thrills show at Merriweather Post Pavilion, and got some nice Thrills shots for the book project (you'll have to ask; it's high concept). And as soon as I get my HTML act together, I'll be posting such shots for your visual amusement.
Maroon 5 were better than I expected, but I didn''t expect much. First/last time I saw them, opening for John Mayer, Adam seemed totally full of himself, and that was before the Grammy and multi-platinum sales, so I was worried he would be unbearable this time around. But he didn't do much more preening than the situation requires, and the catchy songs are catchy. Still, I think the M-5 sound is a variation on solo Sting's lesser jazz-rock efforts, and when the band did "Highway to Hell" in the climax, I think they were admitting that they, too, find the trademark sound a bit...boring.
Highlight of the evening - besides shooting the Thrills and scoring a signed set list - was meeting the grand poobah of 930 Club and the new, improved M-Post, Seth Hurowitz.
Also, I am thoroughly spoiled by the VIP parking lot. While others were trying to get their cars out of the lot, I was already zipping down Route 29. Sweeet!

In meantime, these just in:

Monday, April 18:
1. PATRICIA VONNE - Guitars & Castanets (CoraZong Records)
2. DIG - the movie on DVD (Palm Pictures) I asked for - and got - a copy last week. I'd better ask if they want me to send this duplicate back...

Saturday, April 16:
4. ANGELS OF LIGHT - The Angels of Light Sing "Other People" (Young God Records)
Sent to preview an IOTA gig in late May. Way too soon to know if I can cover them.
5. AKRON/FAMILY - S/T (Young God)
Paired with above act on the IOTA bill.
6. TSAR - Band-Girls-Money (TVT Records)

and I also got a thank you card from Box, for having written about them last week in the Post. A nice, and much appreciated gesture.

Friday, April 15:
7. The UNSEEN - State of Discontent (Hellcat Records)

Thursday, April 14:
8. SHANNON McNALLY - Geronimo
9. ERIC GRAF - S/T (
10. BOXSTEP - Back Roads (Hobo Music)
Eric is the main man of Boxstep, an indie act I wrote about many moons ago. He's coming back to town in early May, though I fear that will be the "off" week on my current (budget-gutted) biweekly schedule.

11. CAESARS - Paper Tigers (Astralwerks)
Why is David Lindqvist brandishing a big, sharp knife in the press photo? And, almost as scary, why does he have that long. wispy white hair? One of the other guys is holding a metal skull. I generally like the stuff Astralwerks puts out- good label for dance-electronica-rock - but this photo does not bode well.
So, I put it on and OH-MY-GOD-IT'S-THE-iPOD-COMMERCIAL SONG! I do love that tune (simply titled "Jerk"), and have been trying to figure out who did it for ages. Even on the rare times I've caught it on the radio, the DJs didn't say who it was. And why doesn't the iTunes music store highlight these tracks? Music should not be like those snotty restaurants and bars that don't put their names on the door (if you don't know, you're not hip enough to come in).
So glad to finally have this tune, but I'm well aware of Jet Syndrome. That's when the first (iPod-hyped) single is so good, you rush out for the album and find that the one song is the only one worth having. And "Look What You've Done" is such a blatant rip-off of the Beatles' "Sexy Sadie"! How'd they get away with that?


12. DIG - the film DVD (Palm Pictures)
Really looking forward to this one. Asked for it by name.
13. DEVIL DOLL - Queen of Pain (Lucky Bluebird Records)
Playing the IOTA Club on May 9th.

Tuesday, April 12:
A package of 4 new CDs on New Release Tuesday. Columbia is the only major label that stills sends me regular mailings of new releases, god bless 'em.
14. ANNA NALICK - Wreck of the Day (Columbia)
15. IL DIVO - S/T (Syco Music/Columbia)
Yes, they're cute. I was intrigued by the Spanish boy band concept at first look. Now I see them hyped all around me, which I'm not sure makes the album more or less appealing. Still haven't cracked the shrinkwrap yet.
16. KYLE RIABKO - Before I Speak (Aware/Columbia)
17. ELKLAND - Golden (Columbia)

No comments: