Tuesday, April 12, 2005

The Best Laid Plans...

I thought it was a simple idea - tracking all the new music coming in, making a few comments, plenty of time to write about concerts seen and songs that tickle my eardrums. But how quickly the time flies and the stack of uncataloged CDs mounts! (Yeah, play that tiny violin; we should all have such gripes.)

Quickly, quickly then. Must catch up.

Monday, April 11
1. THE CHRIS STAMEY EXPERIENCE - A Question of Temperature (Yep Roc)
From the late and well-liked dB's. Threw it on just for background sound and found myself pulled in numerous times to ask myself "what's that? That's cool." One track in particular, "McCauley Street (Let's Go Downtown)' made me stop in my tracks, listen, and look up the title for a repeat visit. Features Yo La Tengo, too. Huzzah. Coming to the IOTA on May 12.
2. THE NARRATOR - Such Triumph (Flameshovel Records)

Two from my press-kits-for-imports trading partner:
3. R.E.M. - Acoustic 1991
4. SIOUXZIE and the BANSHEES - Best of (Universal/Polydor)

sent:
5. NIKKA COSTA - Can'tNeverDidNothin' (Virgin)
They want the words in the title to run together like that, so don't blame me.
Do you want her body and do you think she's sexy? C'mon now and tell her so.

Thursday, April 7
6. GEORGE JONES - My Very Special Guests (Columbia Legacy)
7. A LOT LIKE LOVE - soundtrack (Sony Music Soundtraxx)
At first, I dismissed this collection as a cheap mix of songs I already have (Third Eye Blind, The Cure, Aqualung) and I'm still suspicious of the carefully calibrated mix of played-to-death radio hits (like a little cousin to the "Now That's..." series) and new artists that need the promo push. But Grace keeps tossing it on the player and it usually - 'cept for "Semi-Charmed Life," which I never have to hear again - sounds real good. For those who don't free music sent (not to rub it in), check it out on iTunes and just buy the ones you don't already own to make your own soundtrack CD. You can live without the pics of Ashton Kutcher, trust me.

Wednesday, April 6
8. Q Magazine with British compilation, RULE BRITANNIA
A sprinkling of music from bands I want to check out - Bloc Party, Kaiser Chiefs- but mostly a glorious retreat into songs I haven't heard in a while from the Kinks (always welcome), Suede ("The Drowners" may be the only track of theirs I'll ever need), The Jam, Madness, Ian Dury and more. Another nifty sampler from those generous Brit mags.
9. NME magazine with free CD, BEST NEW BRITISH BANDS SHOWCASE 2005
Yet another Kaiser Chiefs song! That makes three in three samplers; who needs to buy the CD? Actually, I'm tempted, if I can't get one from the publicist. "I Predict a Riot" is just that good!

Tuesday, April 5
10. DONNA THE BUFFALO - Life's a Ride (Wildlife/BMG)
Regional jam band heroes. Played it once. Nothing stuck, but nothing offended. One of the many that go on the pile to be given another chance (if time permits) later.

Monday, April 4
11. JASON RINGENBERG - A Day on the Farm with Farmer Jason (Yep Roc)
JASON and the SCORCHERS - Wildfires and Misfires: Two Decades of Outtakes and Rarities (Yep Roc)
Remind me to tell you the tale of having Jason stay in the family room/basement rock and roll B&B when he came to town to play the Jammin Java club. Dang nice guy, even with his evil twin. Some explanation available in my Post preview.

12. IAN TYSON - Songs from the Gravel Road (Vanguard)
13. THE KISSERS - Fire in the Belly (self-released)
Coming soon to a Post preview near you.
14. DEBBY BBONE - Reflections of Rosemary (Concord)
Good thing my mom likes Rosemary Clooney, or this would be a coaster fer sure.

Saturday, April 2
15. STATISTICS - Often Lie (Jade Tree)
16. SO MANY DYNAMOS - When I Explode (Skrocki Records)
from St. Louis, mixed by Jason Caddell at Inner Ear Studios

17. BOX - three song demo
Met two of this female trio's members when I was jockeying for photo position in front of the stage at the Indigo Girls/Great Unknowns show. While I was chatting with one of them, we exchanged names and she yelled, "Oh my god! You're Marianne Meyer?" Luckily, that was a good thing for me to be. Turns out the other woman was in a band I had written about a while back. Now she was in this new band. We exchanged emails next, and then she sent this CD. Rockin' grrrl power with some lesbian lyrics. This week's Post pick.

Friday, April 1
18. JASON RINGENBERG - Empire Builders
iTunes purchase, made so that I could bone up on JR's recent stuff before he arrived to play - and stay at our house.
Post preview (if you missed it the first time)

Collected at the George Mason University Arts Center luncheon, announcing the 2005-2006 season at the the venue:
19. MARK O'CONNOR'S APPALACHIA WALTZ TRIO - Crossing Bridges (Omac Records)
20. JOHN MAYALL & FRIENDS - Along for the Ride (Eagle Records)
21. ROBBEN FORD -
22.SING DOWN THE MOON: Appalachian Wonder Tales - cast recording (George Mason University)

WASHINGTON BALALAIKA SOCIETY ORCHESTRA- and Friends (WBS)
Balalaika, balalalaika. I just like saying balalaika!

No comments: