Monday, February 22, 2010

We Get Out - Sing Me Insomnia, The Bigger Lights

No, I am not a cougar, but I do enjoy me some cute boy pop/rock. And that was what was on the bill Friday night at Jammin' Java, my musical home away from home, where Mei the lovely door lady stamps my hand without even looking at the guest list. (I don't take it for granted, and I love it so!) This night, I came to see the second act on the three-band bill, Sing Me Insomnia (missed Action Item, who opened the show).

SMI won last year's Mid-Atlantic Battle of the Bands, hosted by the club - and for which I was a judge on two of the four evenings, including when these guys won their night. I was muchly impressed then by the group's three-song set. It was smooth, bright and tight and when I realized how young they are, the level of professionalism on display was even more remarkable. Seeing them again, in a longer set, I was not disappointed.
Let's get a little closer with the guys, Tiger Beat fans. Here's singer/guitarist Jared:

And Marshall (they don't generally use last names) on keyboards....

Here's a trio of good looking, talented young guys (the drummer is in the back, and he's cute, too). Sing Me Insomnia have just released a five-track debut EP on iTunes. Check 'em out.

I knew nothing coming in about the headliner, The Bigger Lights, but the size and response of the crowd led me to believe that this quintet, also local Northern Virginia boys, has a reputation. The band has toured with Cartel and Never Shout Never and records for Doghouse Records. By the look of the well-inked guitarist, you could guess that TBL's sound is a little rougher than SMI's, but it's still catchy and non-agressive.

Guitarist John Kendall "JK" Royston is a founding member of the band...

But it's vocalist Topher Talley who really grabs the spotlight with a bit of Jagger swagger...

...and, dare I say it, maybe a dash of brooding Edward Cullen?

And he knows how to work the stage, to a point that it was hard to get a still picture of him!

All in all, an energizing night and a nice reminder that talent is blooming in my little suburban world, helped along by a great venue that books national names but continues to support the local scene with quality, all-ages shows.

No comments: