Tuesday, March 17, 2009

More Bad News for Music Store Geeks

Not another one?! I just read a depressing piece of news for those (so few?) of us who like to buy our music in actual record stores. From Salon, here's a nicely done history of, and lament for, Virgin Records which is closing down all of its American stores.

I want to get up to NYC before it goes, both to pay respects and (I'm ashamed to admit, but let's be honest) scour through the racks for bargains.

I think I'm gonna go hug my LPs...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As the stores close the digital availability of music is exploding. I was always disappointed in the selection of "popular" music in the stores, this is what happens when one has eclectic tastes and one is really different. So as I write this, I'm listening to the Stairwell Sisters et al thanks to the deep 6,000,000 song catalog on LaLa. If I like a tune I can pay a dime and listen unlimited times. Like it even more and cough up and extra 79 cents for a mp3 download. The artist gets paid and the music is so very available.