Sunday, November 09, 2008

The (Wonderful) Week That Was

Looking back from the quiet contentment of a late Saturday night/Sunday morning...

Tuesday, we all made history, with the help of President-Elect Barack Oabama (maybe that’ll get old sometime, but it still leaves me smiling).

Wednesday, Post-College Girl left for her sixth-month stay in England (which was wonderful for her, a bit wistful for the dad and me).

Thursday, hubby and I had a real date, down to the ever-lovely Jammin' Java for dinner (they make great chili) and a concert by longtime favorite David Mead, a singer with a gorgeous voice/a songwriter well deserving of the attention of fans of literate, well-crafted material, a la Paul Simon or James Taylor.

The opening act was The Grey Race, a Brooklyn-based band led by a New Zealand ex-pat, singer/songwriter Jon Darling.


Drummer Ethan Eubanks provided some deadpan commentary throughout the set, and warned that a band compatriot would be working the crowd between sets to sell copies of the band's CD. Sure enough, I returned from the ladies room to find that he had come up to Hubby's and my table to seal the deal.
So, we add to the tally:
The GREY RACE - Give it Love (Unfiltered Records)

The band's publicist had sent me a link to an online download of the album last week, but my computer was being repaired and I didn't get a chance to download it.
The publicist also sent an mp3 for sharing, and it happens to be the song that I found most catchy in the band’s fine set. So, enjoy "On The Chin"

Eubanks and bassist Jeff Hill also work as session musicians, playing and recording with the likes of Robert Randolph, Trey Anastasio, Juliana Hatfield and The Scissor Sisters. With the addition of a keyboard player (whose first name I believe, is Andrew), the trio also served as David Mead’s backing band on this night, which made for some great renditions of his material.

Mead explained/joked that he was able to bring the band along since they worked for free, but it was clearly a mutual admiration society that created beautiful harmonies and deft arrangements of the intelligent songs.

Among the between-song intros, Mead revealed that there is a new CD (“Almost and Always”) imminent, but it hadn’t made it back from manufacturing in time for his current road trip. He also said that, though he wasn’t going to get political, he was very happy with the way the election turned out, which gave us all a chance to clap and yell and celebrate our Blue Victory again. And then he did a tender version of “Figure of Eight.”

I took a bunch of photos, but never left my comfy seat, so they’re all pretty much the same angles. To vary the fare after the fact, I played around with the settings, so here’s something with a bit of color fun...

2 comments:

talisman said...

Hi Marianne,
First of all I have to say you seem to me like a soul mate, you are old enough to have kids but are still crazy about the music, THAT'S ME! Are you serious you woulde send anyone interested a copy of the Sparkle's Flaw cd? I am always looking for new music and would love to hear it. Your comments about Hanson are really true, I have loved them from the beginning. They not only put on a fantastically FUN show, they are really great guys on top of that. Have you checked out their Takethewalk.net page? They are trying to make a difference and that is a good thing. And the music I connect to.
Anyway, have a great day, tell us if there are any good shows coming up in DC, cuz I might come down and see one.
Rock on,
Sue B.

Marianne said...

hey Sue
thanks for the kind words.
I meant what I said and I said what I meant (an elephant faithful 100%).

send a comment with your address (I won't post it) and a Sparky's Flaw CD is yours!

cheers from your CPF
marianne