Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Some Days are Like Christmas

Once, back in the days of my LA TV adventures, when I was away from home for three weeks at a clip, I came home to a stack of mail that included over 70 albums. Nowadays, with digital downloads, industry downsizing and my more limited list of outlets, the pickings are slimmer, but it's quality, not quantity, that counts. (That sentence had too many commas, didn't it?)

Still, this past summer's travels made for some nice homecomings...


and sometimes all it takes is one puffy envelope to make me feel lucky:
1. ELVIS COSTELLO - My AIm is True DE (Universal)
Lately, UME has bee offering digital downloads of its collection to writers through its UME Promo Only MPE Player web site where, with an account and a password, you can download full albums. I have availed myself of the service for the following:
2. GARBAGE - Absolute Garbage (Geffen)
31 tracks
3. CRYSTAL METHOD – Vegas DE (Geffen)
20 tracks
4. SOUL ASYLUM – Welcome to the Minority: The A&M Years 1988-1991 (Hip-O Select)
43 tracks
5. JIMI HENDRIX – Live at Monterey (Geffen)
10 tracks
Fine albums all, but I knew I wanted this music.
The time and effort it takes to grab material (one download took almost all night, while I slept) means that I haven't done it for many albums that I *might* have liked. (And when it comes to something like "Rob Zombie Live," I needn't think twice to say no, thanks).
That may make me seem lazy, but there's plenty of other material I still get in disc form that I can grab and go to the car with, so that's an easier way to test drive (literally) new material. And I sniffle just a bit to think of the cool photos, info and packaging that probably went into the Soul Asylum set that I'll never see in solid form.
Which is why I squealed like a kid on Christmas morning to get the Costello disc in its actual mini-box Deluxe Edition version. Besides the debut album in all its glory, there are out-takes, demos, and (on a second disc), a full 1977 concert and soundcheck from same. Groovy!

And there are other wonderful perks to this paying hobby of mine (I can't call it a job at the rate I bring in actual cash).
Like last night, when I saw the wonderful Nick Lowe in concert at the Birchmere and - as a guest of the Yep Roc folks, who hosted dinner and drinks for a few print and radio people - had the chance to meet the musical hero backstage after the show. Here I am with the charming Mr. Lowe...

(photo by James Bailey)

and here's a shot of mine from the show:


Ron Sexsmith opened and while he's obviously a sweet, sensitive and talented man with a lovely voice, his solo set had my mind drifting after a few numbers.

The last time I saw him, at IOTA, he had a full band. I think his quiet, somewhat bittersweet material needs those extra players to keep the energy up and the ear engaged. Lowe, on the other hand, varies his fare from funny to tender, pin-drop quiet to "I Knew the Bride" giddiness. And he sang the one favorite oldie I wasn't sure he'd get to - "Heart" - so I was way happy.
He seemed perfectly pleased to sign both his fine new CD, "At My Age" (I can relate) and a carefully chosen old skool U.K. vinyl picture sleeve for "Cruel to Be Kind" that I had brought along, just in case. So there was whipped cream and a cherry on my sundae, indeed.

YTD O/CD Total: 708

No comments: